IGNORED

Can We Play With One Striker Next Season ?

andy g

If we don't end up signing a decent striker this summer and brooker has another injury-hit season do you think we can make do with just one striker like we did last season ?

To be honest I'd like to see more of David Noble playing just behind a lone striker, like he did at the end of this last season. Its the position he's best in, because he can pass the ball about there without having to worry about defending too much. (and he can score goals too) I think Noble is a key player for us and we need him playing in his best position. And if that means one striker, then thats what we should do.

My only worry would be who would play as the lone striker ahead of him. Showunmi could still improve and Jevons might turn out to be better in a less physical game, but it would make me feel a lot happier if we bought a proven championship striker.

Of course if Brooker can stay fit, then it might not be a problem, but I'm not optimistic !

Showunmi is the ideal "one up" striker with pace, height and power.

I think we're an effective team like that, and whether or not we sign a striker expect alot of 4-4-1-1 next year IMO

I think we're an effective team like that, and whether or not we sign a striker expect alot of 4-4-1-1 next year IMO

As long as he scores goals. If we're only playing with one striker, that man really needs to be a goal-machine. I hope you're right.

Pace = ???

Height = agreed

Power = um not so sure

I do rate Enoch, but these three he is not. To many games last season he got knocked about, Doncaster away for example. If we rely on Enoch for the goals next year to secure our place....its could be a long season

Pace = ???

Height = agreed

Power = um not so sure

I do rate Enoch, but these three he is not. To many games last season he got knocked about, Doncaster away for example. If we rely on Enoch for the goals next year to secure our place....its could be a long season

Yeah he's reasonably quick, quick enough to run the channels in the championship that's for sure. Height, well it's hard to dispute that. Power - What on earth do you think Johnson will have told him to work on? And yes he is powerful, he just isn't using it consistently. And this league is less Physical and more athletic, Showunmi was awesome against Coventry in both games.

If you have a big quick striker up front you can easily get away with playing one up front. Showunmi is by far the best person to do it at the club. And, i didn't say he'd score goals, but then you don't need that particularly, it switches the emaphasis to the midfield for goals. If Showunmi hits one in three/4 from the one striker position that's good enough. It's then up to Sproule, Noble, Murray etc to weigh in.

If we don't end up signing a decent striker this summer and brooker has another injury-hit season do you think we can make do with just one striker like we did last season ?

To be honest I'd like to see more of David Noble playing just behind a lone striker, like he did at the end of this last season. Its the position he's best in, because he can pass the ball about there without having to worry about defending too much. (and he can score goals too) I think Noble is a key player for us and we need him playing in his best position. And if that means one striker, then thats what we should do.

My only worry would be who would play as the lone striker ahead of him. Showunmi could still improve and Jevons might turn out to be better in a less physical game, but it would make me feel a lot happier if we bought a proven championship striker.

Of course if Brooker can stay fit, then it might not be a problem, but I'm not optimistic !

In my opinion No.

The system employed at the end of last season was effective away from home and surprisingly for a City team it was the away form in the end that got us over the finishing line. But the manager must realise that the quality at his disposal with regard finishing has to be improved, the chances to goals ratio in the squad at present is not high enough.

Don't get me wrong we have a very good squad of players with much firmer defensive foundations than last time at this level but to compete we definately need to continue to invest in good quality attack minded players. I think Sproule is a potentaily excellant addition and the type of player needed. But this has to be supplemented with a couple of quality strikers.

As long as he scores goals. If we're only playing with one striker, that man really needs to be a goal-machine. I hope you're right.

unless we buy it will be one up front unless plummer comes up trumps [local lad scoring for fun that would be nice] :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Pace = ???

Height = agreed

Power = um not so sure

I think potentially he is all of these things. He may have the height but he needs to utilise it better in my opinion. He is quicker than he looks but for a bloke of his size he should be more powerful. I also rate him and when he is in the mood he can be a defenders worst nightmare. He just needs to produce on a more regular basis - This will hopefully come with experience.

Was effective last season but Enoch will be up against better defences next season so may not be as effective.

Probably a bit to negative for home games but would be an effective tactic for away games.

I personally think if we are to play that formation we would need an out and out left winger aswell to give us a bit of width.

Archived