IGNORED

Dragging Our Feet

Andy Horsman

Cohen and Davies, gone to Forest. Commons, signed new deal at Forest. Best gone to Coventry. Eastwood to Wolves. Jarvis to Wolves. Porter to Motherwell. Varney to Charlton.And on and on and on.

Us? Sproule who looks like an exciting prospect and a third choice keeper, who I hope does well.

Before I get shot down in flames, I renewed my s/t on the first day, and have bought my home and away shirts.I have added to the swelling coffers.

So where are the signings to a)keep us up and b)help us establish ourselves in the Championship?

It's now 7th of July, not May or June.We are one week into pre-season training and less than a week away from our team building pre-season tour.The WDP has an article from Sexstone justifying the price hike having sold 9000+ s/ts.The price hike we were told would make us competitive.

Why aren't we competing with others to secure quality? I think last season's squad did a magnificent job, but this is a quantum leap in terms of quality,and before I get responses rehashing the Coventry/Boro performances of last season, they were one-off cup ties, not two out of 46 highly competitive league matches.A good League One squad struggled to get goals in critical games needs more firepower to compete at the next level.

I must admit I am getting anxious now,because imo we are still short of 2 strikers, a left winger,and a ball winning midfielder.

With Sproule out for the first 4 games, we will have, as it stands, the squad that finished last season.Worried, you bet I am!!

So what are you saying the current squad isn't good enough? Its about how the squad play together and team spirit....not about big name signings... The current squad nearly beat Boro 'of the Prem' last season and got promotion.

Give the guy a chance, there's no point in spending money for the sake of it, thats what happened last time we got promoted.

So what are you saying the current squad isn't good enough? Its about how the squad play together and team spirit....not about big name signings... The current squad nearly beat Boro 'of the Prem' last season and got promotion.

Give the guy a chance, there's no point in spending money for the sake of it, thats what happened last time we got promoted.

Yes thats exactly what I am saying, we are not good enough.I've read all this bilge about surprise package and the play-offs.If we don't add to what we've got we will go down.

Yes thats exactly what I am saying, we are not good enough.I've read all this bilge about surprise package and the play-offs.If we don't add to what we've got we will go down.

Who the hell has said playoffs?

Cohen and Davies, gone to Forest. Commons, signed new deal at Forest. Best gone to Coventry. Eastwood to Wolves. Jarvis to Wolves. Porter to Motherwell. Varney to Charlton.And on and on and on.

Us? Sproule who looks like an exciting prospect and a third choice keeper, who I hope does well.

Before I get shot down in flames, I renewed my s/t on the first day, and have bought my home and away shirts.I have added to the swelling coffers.

So where are the signings to a)keep us up and b)help us establish ourselves in the Championship?

It's now 7th of July, not May or June.We are one week into pre-season training and less than a week away from our team building pre-season tour.The WDP has an article from Sexstone justifying the price hike having sold 9000+ s/ts.The price hike we were told would make us competitive.

Why aren't we competing with others to secure quality? I think last season's squad did a magnificent job, but this is a quantum leap in terms of quality,and before I get responses rehashing the Coventry/Boro performances of last season, they were one-off cup ties, not two out of 46 highly competitive league matches.A good League One squad struggled to get goals in critical games needs more firepower to compete at the next level.

I must admit I am getting anxious now,because imo we are still short of 2 strikers, a left winger,and a ball winning midfielder.

With Sproule out for the first 4 games, we will have, as it stands, the squad that finished last season.Worried, you bet I am!!

Blah blah blah, couldnt you add to the other billion posts like this? Signings will come, be patient my friend......

So what are you saying the current squad isn't good enough?

Yes

Its about how the squad play together and team spirit....not about big name signings... The current squad nearly beat Boro 'of the Prem' last season and got promotion.

As the man said, that was a one off and I can remember Wimbledon beating Liverpool in the FA Cup Final.Where are they now??

Last time we got promoted we spent badly.That doesn't maen not spending at all is the solution this time.Nobody's talking about breaking the bank or even mentioing figures, it's about lack of visible activity

Who the hell has said playoffs?

Why not aim for them? That would mean doing five points better than Colchester did last season.If you settle for mediocrity and next to nothing, that's what you'll probably get

Blah blah blah, couldnt you add to the other billion posts like this? Signings will come, be patient my friend......

...and haven't we heard this during the last two January transfer windows and what did we get? This time last year the majority of our business was concluded.

I am concerned that new signings get the chance to 'bed down', so being on board before our pre-season touir would be imo preferable.

it's about lack of visible activity

Precisely, you're frustrated. That's the only half decent point you've made in this thread.

You can post every day saying where are the signings, and in your case you do....

If we signed another player, that'd still only be 2 players. If we signed another that'd only be three! Until we sign 36% more players you won't be happy will you?

I think it is important to be patient although I do see the original posters point in that I don't think we are good enough to stay up with the squad that finished last season, or if we are only just (which in my opinion would be a good enough season). My opinion on this is that the transfers will come and we have to be patient, but if they don't come I will be questioning how these massive Season Ticket hikes have made us competetive.

Precisely, you're frustrated. That's the only half decent point you've made in this thread.

You can post every day saying where are the signings, and in your case you do....

If we signed another player, that'd still only be 2 players. If we signed another that'd only be three! Until we sign 36% more players you won't be happy will you?

Redhyde,

you seem quick to knock, what appears to me a valid point.

A lot of fans have shelled out a large amount of money and want to see some of that money invested to give us a good chance of cementing a place in the Championship; me included.

Personally, I do not believe the current squad has enough goals in it to win many games at CCC level and believe that it will be nigh on impossible to reach the heights of performances such as Middlesboro on a week-by-week basis, hence, I forsee a lot of hard-fought draws with a fair few defeats and the occasional win.

What do you forsee with the current squad? Do you think it is good enough? Do you honestly have no slight concern that lots of players who could potentially strengthen our squad are being signed up by all other clubs?

Not knocking you if that is the case, but, I do find it hard to believe that any City fan isn't slightly concerned that 1 or 2 more have not been added at this stage.

In all honestly, wellyredhead has a point. I'm certain most of us expected a little more transfer activity at this point... it is clear from Johnson's interviews that our primary targets and negotiations have proved far more difficult than expected. With our current squad, especially with our lack of an established marksman, goals could be very hard to come by.... i mean hell, we struggled scoring in League 1. We won't stay up with what we currently have.

But I'm also certain that Johnson is fully aware of this, and doing his utmost to put it right.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Happy clapper get your head out of the clouds!!!

Take a look at the squads for nearly every team in the championship, they are light years ahead of us and 9 times out of 10 will murder us. I agree there is no point spending money for the sake of it but the present squad just isnt going to cope. Cov and Boro were one offs so forget them. Please tell me who is going to score the goals next season? Brooker? Showunmi? Jevons? and what about midfield? Johnson couldnt tackle his way out of a paper bag and skuse couldnt hit a barn door with a banjo! Before you all pounce on me, i really rate both skuse and johnson but played together i fear they may well be overun by the better quality and stronger midfields of the championship. Betsy and Wilson....you decide! Defence i think will take care of itself and i feel Orr will make the step up because he is such a willing worker and is passionate.

I cant suggest or tell Gary Johnson who to sign, thats not my job, but the fact still remains that if the current squad is given a chance until say Jan, it will all be to late.

I'm sorry if i have been negative but this is just my gut feeling based on the fact i saw nearly every home and away game last season and i dearly hope I'm proved wrong.

I don't believe that team spirit and hard work alone will wash at this level. Mistakes will be punished on a far more regular basis than in league one. You need some real quality if you are going to compete. I agree though, There is no point in spending money on players you don't really want. We just have to hope that GJ comes up with the goods in terms of new signings.

If we are to survive and further more compete then a minimum of 3 quality players are needed IMO.

Redhyde,

you seem quick to knock, what appears to me a valid point.

A lot of fans have shelled out a large amount of money and want to see some of that money invested to give us a good chance of cementing a place in the Championship; me included.

Personally, I do not believe the current squad has enough goals in it to win many games at CCC level and believe that it will be nigh on impossible to reach the heights of performances such as Middlesboro on a week-by-week basis, hence, I forsee a lot of hard-fought draws with a fair few defeats and the occasional win.

What do you forsee with the current squad? Do you think it is good enough? Do you honestly have no slight concern that lots of players who could potentially strengthen our squad are being signed up by all other clubs?

Not knocking you if that is the case, but, I do find it hard to believe that any City fan isn't slightly concerned that 1 or 2 more have not been added at this stage.

Oh it's fair enough to ask the question of my views since I'm questioning other peoples.

I've not bought a season ticket myself, yet, (not down to signings but down to whether i end up working saturdays or not) but i will no doubt be spending in excess of £200 following city this year even if i don't, 300+ if i do. And yes i want to see some sort of success to go with that. But success for me is simply staying up this year, yes i'd love more, but If offered survival now hands would be bitten off.

I honestly and genuinely believe that this team could stay up as it is. I currently think we're the 5/6th worst team in the league. I think we're currently better than Barnsley, Colchester, QPR, S****horpe and Blackpool as it stands. Just my opinion down to who's come in/who's gone out so far from them.

I will be frustrated, i will be annoyed, if we don't have a striker in by the start of the season. I will be apoplectic with rage (well near as can be about football) if we haven't got one in by the end of the window. But i absolutely trust GJ to do the business and get one (or two) and I'm aghast that others have such a lack of faith in the guy to do his job seeing as what he's done for us so far. People like BB should definitely beware writing off GJ (AGAIN) because that's what they're doing when they consistently and daily whine about the lack of "visible" activity when GJ has explained why it's not. I personally think a lack of visible activity is a positive step for our club, which in the past has been quite embarrassing in the transfer dealings.

Yes i have slight concerns which grow daily as we move closer to the season start, but my trust in what's happening at the club is much more than that at the moment.

The other thing is, I haven't seen one striker who we could've got, and would've wanted, go anywhere else!

Varney - Too much - Too much competition.

Sharp - too much - Too much Competition.

Best - Too much competition - Didn't want to move.

Porter - Wanted the big signing on fee as he moved countries.

Odejayi - Don't want.

Eastwood - Too much, too much competition.

Sheringham - Don't want.

Hawley - Too much competition.

Constantine - On free, don't exactly want him as he doesn't fit.

Cureton - too much competition.

Todorov - too much competition.

Clive Platt - Don't want.

Saganowski - Too much competition.

It can go on and on and on.

When i see a player who i thought yeah we could've done with him go to one of the clubs we're in direct competition with at the bottom of this league I'll be disappointed. Until then i don't see why anyone's bothered or stressed about players signing for £1.5 million or more for clubs more established than us other than the fact it makes this league stronger and harder.

Yes we're in the championship, but it doesn't mean we can compete straight away with the clubs here.

The season ticket hike hasn't helped, people now think because we pay the same we should spend the same. If we get in the big crowds like the bigger clubs then no doubt we will start to see it. Because we have a manager who doesn't want to see overspending we're not even going to compete with the top of the table for established names. We could buy a more attractive status for players but for once we're not doing it that way. And I'm glad.

I'd question any players motives who chose us over Wolves/Charlton/Leicester etc so why people complain when we're not stealing players from under their noses baffles me.

So there we go.

I think we will sign players between now and the start of the season.

I think we could stay up as is.

I think the club is doing the right thing hiking the prices seeming as we have record sales.

I think GJ is right to not disclose transfer dealings however frustrated i get with it.

I don't think any player that has gone, we had a chance of getting, had we wanted them.

I'm sorry for those who bought into the hype after we got promoted and bought their season tickets on the thought that we'd be signing these kind of players. I just prefer to wait and see.

I don't believe that team spirit and hard work alone will wash at this level. Mistakes will be punished on a far more regular basis than in league one. You need some real quality if you are going to compete. I agree though, There is no point in spending money on players you don't really want. We just have to hope that GJ comes up with the goods in terms of new signings.

If we are to survive and further more compete then a minimum of 3 quality players are needed IMO.

Take it you never went to Coventry away in the cup when our "sh!t" team absolutley destroyed Coventry by playing some of the best football ive seen from a city side, lets just wait and see what will happen before we all start panicking.

Redhyde,

Won't quote your post, as it'll take up too much room. :surrender:

Thanks for your response; a good read and you make some good points. :rolleyes:

Would type more, but, off for an all you can eat Chinese. I'll start with his foot and move up for a change.

Oh it's fair enough to ask the question of my views since I'm questioning other peoples.

I've not bought a season ticket myself, yet, (not down to signings but down to whether i end up working saturdays or not) but i will no doubt be spending in excess of £200 following city this year even if i don't, 300+ if i do. And yes i want to see some sort of success to go with that. But success for me is simply staying up this year, yes i'd love more, but If offered survival now hands would be bitten off.

I honestly and genuinely believe that this team could stay up as it is. I currently think we're the 5/6th worst team in the league. I think we're currently better than Barnsley, Colchester, QPR, S****horpe and Blackpool as it stands. Just my opinion down to who's come in/who's gone out so far from them.

I will be frustrated, i will be annoyed, if we don't have a striker in by the start of the season. I will be apoplectic with rage (well near as can be about football) if we haven't got one in by the end of the window. But i absolutely trust GJ to do the business and get one (or two) and I'm aghast that others have such a lack of faith in the guy to do his job seeing as what he's done for us so far. People like BB should definitely beware writing off GJ (AGAIN) because that's what they're doing when they consistently and daily whine about the lack of "visible" activity when GJ has explained why it's not. I personally think a lack of visible activity is a positive step for our club, which in the past has been quite embarrassing in the transfer dealings.

Yes i have slight concerns which grow daily as we move closer to the season start, but my trust in what's happening at the club is much more than that at the moment.

The other thing is, I haven't seen one striker who we could've got, and would've wanted, go anywhere else!

Odejayi - Don't want.

Sheringham - Don't want.

When i see a player who i thought yeah we could've done with him go to one of the clubs we're in direct competition with at the bottom of this league I'll be disappointed. Until then i don't see why anyone's bothered or stressed about players signing for £1.5 million or more for clubs more established than us other than the fact it makes this league stronger and harder.

Yes we're in the championship, but it doesn't mean we can compete straight away with the clubs here.

The season ticket hike hasn't helped, people now think because we pay the same we should spend the same. If we get in the big crowds like the bigger clubs then no doubt we will start to see it. Because we have a manager who doesn't want to see overspending we're not even going to compete with the top of the table for established names. We could buy a more attractive status for players but for once we're not doing it that way. And I'm glad.

I'd question any players motives who chose us over Wolves/Charlton/Leicester etc so why people complain when we're not stealing players from under their noses baffles me.

So there we go.

I think the club is doing the right thing hiking the prices seeming as we have record sales.

I think GJ is right to not disclose transfer dealings however frustrated i get with it.

I don't think any player that has gone, we had a chance of getting, had we wanted them.

I'm sorry for those who bought into the hype after we got promoted and bought their season tickets on the thought that we'd be signing these kind of players. I just prefer to wait and see.

Exactly how i feel, To many people think we can just go and attract those sort of players when the fact is at the moment we cant. Why the hell would Billy Sharpe come to us over sheff united? Ithe question sounds daft but some people are wondering why were not signing these sort of players!

Exactly how i feel, To many people think we can just go and attract those sort of players when the fact is at the moment we cant. Why the hell would Billy Sharpe come to us over sheff united? Ithe question sounds daft but some people are wondering why were not signing these sort of players!

I agree that most of these players we would not be able to sign but surely there are others out there that we could - so why aren't we.

I agree that most of these players we would not be able to sign but surely there are others out there that we could - so why aren't we.

We're trying!

Just read what GJ says as to why it takes so long.

Then wait for the results just before the season starts to judge.

Take it you never went to Coventry away in the cup when our "sh!t" team absolutley destroyed Coventry by playing some of the best football ive seen from a city side, lets just wait and see what will happen before we all start panicking.

Thanks very much but I did go to Coventry you muppet so you can shove that pathetic dig where the sun don't shine.

We were superb that night and its a night Il never forget. On the other hand it was a cup tie and they were there for the taking. Who said our team was sh!t by the way?? And I'm not panicking yet thanks. We have some very good players, especially at the back and in the middle of the park. I just think (like most people probably) that with a bit more quality and depth up top, We could have a much bigger impact on the championship.

Its not just about team spirit, We will obviously need abit more quality at this level. In some areas I believe we already have it, In others we don't.

ONE OFF CUP GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coventry home and away, Middlesboro home and away - i make that 4 games against higher league opposisition where we more than held our own.

Nobody can deny they were impressive performances but these cup results and performances guarantee nothing I'm afraid. Chesterfield knocked out Wolves, Man City, West Ham and only lost to Charlton on pens after drawing 3-3. Does this automatically mean they could hold their own against these teams on a regular basis?

its not the fact were not signing these players we have nt been in the market for a striker and with brooker at lilleshal i am worried .as last season showed in the last ten games most of our goals came from defenders or midfielders :disapointed2se: we need a striker to compete at this level

Odejayi - Don't want.

Sheringham - Don't want.

So there we go.

Not bought a season ticket yet?

Yet you rant on like your Bristol City,s biggest and best fan...... :fastasleep:

Season tickets, with the wife (£900+) had them for as long as i can remember, and you still think you got a right to question what a few of of us wonder whats going on at the club?

Its our right Redhyde!

I agree with you arn, in the sense that city fans have a right to share there grievances. But theres a marked difference between constructive criticism, and sniping without taking into consideration what has been said by the people in charge. 2 bids, look likely of going through, if certain city fans get what they want and GJ 'reveals' all, we lose out cos others get interested. We need I think 2 players, a left winger and a striker and I think we're covered. defence is sound, centre mid is fine, right wing is fine. So what more do people want.

I sense people are in a certain dreamworld again, believing that now we're up a league, magically we're the best thing since sliced bread and can attract the best of the best. Player has the chance of coming to us (ex league one) or sheff utd ( ex premiership), hmmmmm, yeh tough one.

I'll tell u now, we could have 100 million investment with transfers, and u know what, GJ would still only sign them if they were worth it and would improve the squad. Martin Allen is certainly enjoying the budget at Leicester, but it'll make little difference. its about the team spirit on the day, passion, not the talent of one expensive individual.

Its kinda ridiculous, that Redhyde is on here supporting the manager and club, and yet people are criticizing him for doing so and using the 'happy clappy' argument again, well i guess that makes me one too, but I really don't care. You wouldn't have thought we'd been promoted.

Not bought a season ticket yet?

Yet you rant on like your Bristol City,s biggest and best fan...... :fastasleep:

Season tickets, with the wife (£900+) had them for as long as i can remember, and you still think you got a right to question what a few of of us wonder whats going on at the club?

Its our right Redhyde!

No, I have to work my way through uni, so I don't know if my current job will allow me to have Saturdays off. Not much point in getting a season ticket until then is there?

Who said I'm Bristol City's biggest and best fan? Certainly not me. I support my club by going to as many games as is physically and financially possible. That's all. But that's not good enough for you is it? No because you're Arny! Which of course means you know much more than me...

Ha there we go again. I'm Arny, I'm Older, I've been supporting the club since before you were born. SO I KNOW BETTER THAN YOU Arrogance in extreme.

You can chase me round the threads with your arrogance all you like, you're only embarrassing yourself now.

Here's the fundamental question that you've been avoiding so far...

Why? When you've read GJ's comments about not over paying for players and the state of the transfer market, and you know that we have to compete with the much bigger clubs in this league, do you expect us to sign the top established players for big money and straight away?

You know what's going on, and of course it's your right! But it's pointless to do so every day when you know the answer to your questions.

Archived