IGNORED

We Got Our Pricing Right

Interesting point Alan.

I tend to agree. If the prices were kept nie on the same as last season, we may have broke through the 12,000 barrier.

Even tonight, out with 4 lads who made 90% of last seasons games who wont be bothering next seaon at all because of the £28 a game touch in the Dolman.

Sad really aint it?

Talk is cheap. They'll be there especially if we are doing well. Just cut back on your beer consumption tell them and save a few quid. Sorted.

The most disturbing comment for me in the whole Evening Post article was the one that said "we can only conclude that the increase in prices has had no discernible effect on sales". Factually that is a correct statement. However the underlying message to anyone who has not renewed a season ticket because they cannot afford to is basically "we haven't even noticed". That is disgraceful in my opinion and seems to be the current Bristol City FC attitude to it's supporters. I believe that the club should know the identity of EVERY SINGLE season ticket holder who has failed to renew thus far and should be carrying out the most accurate market research of all - i.e. write to these people, phone them up or send them an e-mail to find out WHY they have not renewed.

I would hope and expect the club to be able to collate all of the inofmation that is provided on a season ticket application. I don't know what was on the application but they must know if it was a renewal and I would imagine the marketing source was shown.

I also thought that people had been contacted by a sales team to encourage them to renew. The reason for not renewing should have been recorded.

I would imagine and expect that CS has access to all of these reports and more. If he doesn't then there really are some serious issues.

As an ex FCF member, I can recall CS & SL saying that entering the Championship would bring sponsorship deals that would reach new levels for BCFC.

And with all the huge potential earnings of being in the CCC, it was a surprise that the club decided to stay loyal with BTC.

If you take a look at the 'World' interview CS says that BTC were there when City were at the lowest in CC1. So CS felt it right to reward BTC's loyalty with another years shirt sponsorship. To me those words mean we could have got a better deal but wanted to show loyalty?

But what loyalty did CS show the fans for paying up when we were watching the club sing to the bottom of CC1?

That's a valid point and I agree that the way the message has been given is shocking!

However I wonder how much a shirt sponser pays for the privilidge. Would you wager a guess? I would imagine that it's less than £500k and to offset an increase in season ticket prices they would have to increase this amount by a value far greater than the 30% season ticket increase. I wouldn't expect that there will be too many takers.

Perhaps the club feels it has enough tickets sold to not bother asking existing fans why they didn't renew.

By holding on to existing fans alongside those "new" fans we would have an amazing attendance. I guess the club is more intent on earning immediate profit than cultivating a situation where AG next season will be formidable and a vital component to our chances of staying up.

it is unfair on people who cant afford it and its a disgrace that loyal fans who were there when we got stuffed by chesterfield 4-2 etc wont be able to afford a season ticket this year.

its a sad fact of the modern game but money is everything. ive got a season ticket this year. i could afford it, but it certainly taints the excitement a bit. a part of me actually wants thhe game to go to the wall so we can get some sanity back.

i know theres time left, but IF we don't bring in a few more players then i cant see how the club can justify such extreme price rises. i know existing players have been given better contracts, and some sort of rise would be fair enough but i thought it we would splash a couple of million in the name of strengthening the squad!!! we may still do of course, and that doesnt always guarentee sucess :fingerscrossed:

I have not renewed couldnt afford increase on three tickets. No one from club has contacted me as to why i have not.

Add me to the list of not re-newing my ST, it breaks my heart, when i think of all the times i followed this club through bad, bad times (including being at disasterous 7-1 defeats at Northampton and Swansea) i feel well and truly cheated, i will be at the first home game against QPR but not at the second against Scunny, that attendence will be very very interesting, the Scunny game will be the very first home game i have ever missed by choice in over 30 years of supporting this club

I agree with most of what you say and it is the shameless shift to the less emotionally attached supporter with the allegedly higher disposable income that will cause football to spiral even further out of control and implode within the next 10-15 years. Football will become a victim of it's own popularity as more hard nosed businessmen buy clubs for the kudos of owning them but still apply hard faced business principles to them. What these people fail to understand is that without fans, football is a poor product. We have seen the first signs of the bubble beginning to burst with the massive cut in prices at many Premiership grounds - I don't think it will be long before crowds fall significantly across the board in a four team Premiership that, pro rata, is no better a product than the SPL and once that happens, Ruper Murdoch will lose interest in the "people's game". Then the fun will begin.

Exactly....The only way to keep the thing competitive is to ensure a level playing field (NFL is an example as they ensure finances and spends on players are consistent throughout the league)...Otherwise you end up with an effective four team oligarchy dominating the league and turning off fans that can sit at home to get their fix.

The big four wont like it but wealth distribution is getting closer in footballing terms...Probably....Fo'u'r the long term good of the game.... :preacher:

I have had my ST in the Dolman for the last 3 yrs, but had decided not renew either mine or my sons due to being in the miltary and divorce. However, last week I found out that I will be staying local for the next 6 mths, min, so thought I would at least renew my sons ticket in the Upper Dolman (U16), additionally my mate assured me that even if I am posted away he would continue to take my son. I explained my position to the ticket office and the reasons for my late decision to which they replied yes I could have the seat but would have to pay the U21 price, which, don't quote me but was approx £225, £115 more than the U16 price. I attempted to argue my position to which he said that he only enforced the policy. I have written to CS and await my reply, suffice to say if they do not have a rethink I will pick and choose what home games to attend and mainly travel away. I did stress that this was a renewal not a new ticket to which he said that I should have renewed prior to the general release date, I explained my position again and was getting dragged into a vicious circle so let it go.

The reason I was quated that were no U16 prices in the Upper Dolman was due to a wish to get the kids down the front. Great idea, if he was old enough to sit on his own!! I wont pass any more judgement until I recieve a reply back from the Club.

I have just come back from Ashton Gate where I wanted to get a juvenile ticket for my 4 yold son in the Dolman stand. They asked for £16 because he wasn't sitting in the family section.

I sit with my other son in the Dolman stand, naturally I wanted my boy to be as close as possible to me as he is only four.

If I want this peace of mind and protection I have to pay an extra £9, what kind of lunatic policy is this in the dangerous times we live for children?

I will not be blackmailed into paying this,as a result he will miss out, so will BCFC on his admission price.

Hw will probably cry when his brother and I get ready to go to football. You certainly got it right Sexstone!

A short term view of our pricing imo, we were bound to have more season tickets sold this season, the proof will be next season and the one after that, people are not going to continue paying top end championship prices for relegation battles and mid table obscurity.

We don't have the hard core support of a West Brom/ Wolves/ Norwich who we keep getting told we are similar in size too :disapointed2se: we have never averaged 16000 gates in this division before let alone the 18-20000+ gates the big players get, it will all end in tears in a few seasons because of this short sightedness.

I have had my ST in the Dolman for the last 3 yrs, but had decided not renew either mine or my sons due to being in the miltary and divorce. However, last week I found out that I will be staying local for the next 6 mths, min, so thought I would at least renew my sons ticket in the Upper Dolman (U16), additionally my mate assured me that even if I am posted away he would continue to take my son. I explained my position to the ticket office and the reasons for my late decision to which they replied yes I could have the seat but would have to pay the U21 price, which, don't quote me but was approx £225, £115 more than the U16 price. I attempted to argue my position to which he said that he only enforced the policy. I have written to CS and await my reply, suffice to say if they do not have a rethink I will pick and choose what home games to attend and mainly travel away. I did stress that this was a renewal not a new ticket to which he said that I should have renewed prior to the general release date, I explained my position again and was getting dragged into a vicious circle so let it go.

The reason I was quated that were no U16 prices in the Upper Dolman was due to a wish to get the kids down the front. Great idea, if he was old enough to sit on his own!! I wont pass any more judgement until I recieve a reply back from the Club.

Thought it is only fair to give credit where it is due. The Manager of the ticket office was extremely helpful to my case and has sorted it out for me, just like to pass on my thanks to her for her understanding.

It's good to see what constitutes a good job in the eyes of Sexstone. Not content with killing the post-promotion buzz in record time as well as out-pricing the working man and the POTD attendee's, he now has the arrogance to come out and boast that the increases had no effect of sales.

Utter garbage. This bloke really and truely has no idea about BCFC, or football for that matter.

We'd have easily broken through the 10,000 barrier by the end of June if he knew how to sell the club properly. 9,200 is a pretty average effort after promotion for a city and club of our size in what's statistically the fourth best league in the world in terms of gate receipts.

You look at Bradford for example, the total opposite of us. They've sold in excess of 10,000 in LEAGUE TWO FFS because they wanted the ground as full as can be with people volutarily spending their money on merchandise, food etc to create an atmosphere to get them back up. In the same process, they've made more money selling knockdown ST's than the lesser number's who bought them last season. Simple marketing mixed in with a bit of business sense if you ask me.

This man is an utter cretin in my eyes and the sooner he's rid, the better! :protest:

It's good to see what constitutes a good job in the eyes of Sexstone. Not content with killing the post-promotion buzz in record time as well as out-pricing the working man and the POTD attendee's, he now has the arrogance to come out and boast that the increases had no effect of sales.

Utter garbage. This bloke really and truely has no idea about BCFC, or football for that matter.

We'd have easily broken through the 10,000 barrier by the end of June if he knew how to sell the club properly. 9,200 is a pretty average effort after promotion for a city and club of our size in what's statistically the fourth best league in the world in terms of gate receipts.

You look at Bradford for example, the total opposite of us. They've sold in excess of 10,000 in LEAGUE TWO FFS because they wanted the ground as full as can be with people volutarily spending their money on merchandise, food etc to create an atmosphere to get them back up. In the same process, they've made more money selling knockdown ST's than the lesser number's who bought them last season. Simple marketing mixed in with a bit of business sense if you ask me.

This man is an utter cretin in my eyes and the sooner he rid, the better! :protest:

9200 ST sales is nothing short of a major embarrassment when Bradford have sold 10,000 plus in the fourth division, the man should fall on his sword.

As much as i dislike Sextone (lots), I'm afraid that whilst he is the chap that front's all of these decisions up nothing at the club will be decided without SL's (who i have got some time for) rubber stamp and that includes this season's ticket prices. They are both to blame in my eyes.

SL has been diminishing his role in BCFC over the last few years culmunating in Sexstone's appointment to the board. Rightly or wrongly, he is very hands off these days as he focuses on his business and it's CS who's in day-to-day control of the club.

Further to what I said earlier, I know of around 7 people who were ST holders who haven't renewed because of being outpriced and that may well go up when I take my seat for the first home game and see some of the characters missing. If that's just me, I'd hate to think of how much business the club has lost when you take into account the number of stay-away's associated with the other 9,200 ST's...

Even tonight, out with 4 lads who made 90% of last seasons games who wont be bothering next seaon at all because of the £28 a game touch in the Dolman.

Sad really aint it?

Sorry but your anecdote just doesn't ring true - you went out with 4 lads (assume they all work and have spare money for drinking/ night out) who are committed City fans (attended 90% of last season's games and you want us to believe they are all abandoning going to games for the sake of £8 (a small round of drinks on your night out with them). Simply doesn't ring true I'm afraid.

well_red

Sorry but your anecdote just doesn't ring true - you went out with 4 lads (assume they all work and have spare money for drinking/ night out) who are committed City fans (attended 90% of last season's games and you want us to believe they are all abandoning going to games for the sake of £8 (a small round of drinks on your night out with them). Simply doesn't ring true I'm afraid.

well_red

City fans haven't just been hit in the pocket by the price rises, they've been treated like idiots and not rewarded for their loyalty to the club. Therefore, it is also an issue of principle.

'Tins' comments are spot on.

There is a FCF meeting tonight and this point will be raised.

I am particuarly annoyed by the fact my 7 year old Nephew cannot sit by me in the dolman. That pathetic stance by the club cost them 8 season tickets alone. Hope they are glad that the future generation of my family may well bugger off elsewhere because of it.

Wasn't the target 11'000 by the start of the season?

To watch BCFC from the Dolman is £28,

To watch Liverpool from the Kop is £30,

To watch it from their main stand is £32.

...this sums it up for me.

But how long have scousers paid those prices.....many years I expect plus £4 extra is probs about right for difference between top & second tier

Oh & by the way I am a long time season ticket holder (13+ yrs) who cant afford to renew

not because I wont give up the odd night out to afford it - I don't go out -

I just cant afford the expense of it all anymore

I did pay the £60 deposit for the never never option but could not afford the first payment last month so I guess I'm out

Interesting point Alan.

I tend to agree. If the prices were kept nie on the same as last season, we may have broke through the 12,000 barrier.

Sad really aint it?

if they went to 90% of matches they were mad not to have bought an ST in the first place.

i can hardly see easy talk over a beer and a approximately £6 hike per game worthy of believing them quite frankly. Talk is cheap; they will be there if not for 90% of the matches.

To watch BCFC from the Dolman is £28,

To watch Liverpool from the Kop is £30,

To watch it from their main stand is £32.

...this sums it up for me.

this has been discussed until the cows come home; namely, you simply cannot compare prices in the prem with the champs simply because we do not benefit from £30m + prize money. its a very distorted lop sided playing field and, as a very direct result, prices in the championship will not be such good value until and unless the proportion of prize money is re-balanced. I doubt that will happen for a long time if ever.

Anyway... everyone has freedom of choice to watch whom ever they like. If it is only about value for money you are supporting the wrong club. fact of life us being in this division.

There is a FCF meeting tonight and this point will be raised.

I am particuarly annoyed by the fact my 7 year old Nephew cannot sit by me in the dolman. That pathetic stance by the club cost them 8 season tickets alone. Hope they are glad that the future generation of my family may well bugger off elsewhere because of it.

Wasn't the target 11'000 by the start of the season?

The trouble is Tom, and anybody else who has "friends and family" who have been severely inconvenienced by Colin "I got it right" Sextone, what the scheming barsteward knows is that if we make a decent start this season, are scoring goals, playing great football and find ourselves in the top half of the table, he will be able to shift most of, if not all, the 19,000 "units" to the "customer base" every week. And the unit price will be maximised due to the relatively low number of season ticket holders. Makes you wonder what sort of bonus the clown is on?

Everything Sextone utters has an element of New Labour style "spin" attached to it. Firstly we had sold "just under" 10,000 tickets when the true figure was actually "just over" 9,000. Then he confidently predicted that we would finish on 11,000. We haven't even got close to 10,000 yet (if we had, it would have been all over the official site) and this after many people would have received the August pay packet. Given the general increases in football attendances today I think the Commercial Department, with Sextone at the helm, will have failed massively if we do not hit the 10,000 mark for season ticket sales.

However, if the season starts badly and shows little sign of improvement then yet again Sextone and Lansdown (who must ratify Sextone's decisions) have made a PR Gaffe which will further alienate the football club from the loyal "supporter" (not a term used by Sextone very often). I personally think that we will do alright and Sextone will get away with it.

Small comment to make here, I am sure that Sexstone said earlier in the summer that 'Anything under 10,000 would be a dissapintment'. Well, it doesnt look like we're going to get 10,000, and after his appearence in the press 'we got the pricing right' surely he would fill a bit silly after that.

Archived