IGNORED

Videos From 1976-1979 Must See

Jam76

HI,

Been reading this site for the last few years but never joined. Surfing the net and found this.

Bristol city oldies

Only born in 76 but my dad remembers it fondly.

Apologise if it already been on

Jamie

PS He still hates Peter Shilton for what he did

Absolute quality mate- those were the days!! No advertising on shirts, curly perms and moustaches and SCARVES

Brought a tear to me eye, those wonderful old faces, my all-time hero Gerry Gow, sir Geoffrey Merrick, Norman the Foreman, wonderful stuff and i am right behind the goal at Coventry as a 13 year old when Gow pulled the first one back only a couple of dozen of us in that end, the other 16,000 City fans were scattered over the rest of the ground. Gow would of won 50 caps for Scotland if he was with a more fashionable club

HI,

Been reading this site for the last few years but never joined. Surfing the net and found this.

Bristol city oldies

Only born in 76 but my dad remembers it fondly.

Apologise if it already been on

Jamie

PS He still hates Peter Shilton for what he did

Great memories of great times never to be repeated. Doesn`t matter what happens in the future, in those days AG truly was a fortress. Cheers for that.

PDG

Thanks for posting the video - great memories for an old un like me.

Still saddens me to see Cheesley on the ground in agony - defitely a case of what might have been?

The Wurzels "Don't Look Back in Anger" (must have been written be Adge Gallagher or Noel Cutler)brought a smile to my face but was also quite poignant playing over the pictures of Cheesley

The video rekindled memories of Paul Cheesley. This got me thinking about all the posts at the moment bemoaning our lack of signings and the "unknowns" that some are worried GJ may sign on.

In the '70's as a 2nd div (Championship) club we signed Paul Cheelsey. How many had ever heard of him before, yet he became a massive player for us and many believed he would have gone on to play for England and to the top of the game wee it not for his untimely injury. Oh that Gj can sign an unknown as good as he was.

Without doubt this is the best post ever posted on here, an absolute must for us over 40s, cant wait to tell all me mates, did you see the great Gerry Gow with all those defense splitting passes, what a fantastic player he was, without doubt the greateast player ever to grace the AG turf in my time

Great Footage, lots of fantastic memories.

Was at loads of those games as a teenager, and remember bunking off school on a Tuesday afternoon to go and see the Leeds (one of the best teams in Europe at the time) replay at the beginning, probably early 74ish?, arrived just before kick off and threee sides of the ground were already closed being full, so me and my old man had to go in the Leeds end, which was interesting when Donnie slotted in thew winner ! The place was packed out with 47K in the ground and hundreds stood on top of the roofs of the stands, which would never happen these days. :D

Still feel gutted watching the Cheesley injury. :(

Great Footage, lots of fantastic memories.

Was at loads of those games as a teenager, and remember bunking off school on a Tuesday afternoon to go and see the Leeds (one of the best teams in Europe at the time) replay at the beginning, probably early 74ish?, arrived just before kick off and threee sides of the ground were already closed being full, so me and my old man had to go in the Leeds end, which was interesting when Donnie slotted in thew winner ! The place was packed out with 47K in the ground and hundreds stood on top of the roofs of the stands, which would never happen these days. :D

Still feel gutted watching the Cheesley injury. :(

That story is mine as well, word for word mate. The Leeds replay was Feb 1974, we didnt think we were going to see the game - but everybody did, one way or other. The health & safety mob of today would shit themselves.

That game was the highlight of watching City for me, probably never to be repeated. It was the equivalent to say Southend beating a full strength Arsenal the year they went undefeated.

The Coventry away game comes pretty close mind - 1978, the M5 was chocca with City cars, vans and buses. No wonder the game had to be put back 5 minutes, that made all the difference - good old Jimmy Hill!!

I think the history of Bristol City over the past 30 years would have been very different had it not been for that Cheesley injury. Local lad, loves City, he would have stayed and helped take us places.

Archived