IGNORED

Holding Midfielder

reddogkev

Morning all you fellow forum users.

Lets just look past all the talk about strikers for the moment, and a certain Mr Fowler, and lets focus for a moment on the midfield. I don't think it's been mentioned for a while, and it is becoming a huge concern for me.

As I see it, we currently have a midfield that is bristling with creativity and potential to produce goals, via the likes of Nobes, LJ, Sproule, and Russel to a certain extent, but it is still looking pretty weak, considering our step up in class.

At the moment, our only tried and tested defensive midfielder is Cole Skuse, and I will reserve judgement on whether our young Bristolian midfielder will be able to cut it in the championship until seeing him play several games at that level.

Who can we bring in to strengthen this area, and is anyone else sharing the same concern?

I hope we can sign a tough midfielder with experience at this level, maybe even an older player

who has done it at the prem wouldn't be too bad, just for 1 or 2 seasons until we settle.

I wouldn't mind seeing some steel in midfield but for me it's a far distant third behind the need for a left winger and a couple of strikers.

I don't think the physical side of the game is as important these days anyway what with it fast becoming a non contact sport - retaining possession and covering ground are more important than challenging in midfield.

Would have thought GJ would be looking at pairings/combos in Latvia, so the likes of young Frankie should get a go alongside Lee and Nobes, with Russell and Skuse in the mix as well.I would like to see more defensive depth to our midfield, but think the solution may be found within the ranks(? Carey, Orr and Keogh options too)

central midfield nowhere near the priority that a striker must be right now, i'm confident in russell/johnson/skuse/noble

Agreed, centre midfield is nowhere near our highest priority. I'd rather we signed a quick proven centre half before a tough tackling centre midfielder, obviously after 2 strikers, left winger blah blah blah

central midfield nowhere near the priority that a striker must be right now, i'm confident in russell/johnson/skuse/noble

I do rate those 4 players, though I fear that there's no real bite in that midfield quartet - I still believe that we need someone who can sit deep and be prepared to thunder into a challenge if required, just like good old Tommy D used to do.

For me, a stronger defensive midfielder is on par with the need for a new striker, plus as we also have finbogason on trial, so he could be the striking option we were looking for.

I do rate those 4 players, though I fear that there's no real bite in that midfield quartet - I still believe that we need someone who can sit deep and be prepared to thunder into a challenge if required, just like good old Tommy D used to do.

For me, a stronger defensive midfielder is on par with the need for a new striker, plus as we also have finbogason on trial, so he could be the striking option we were looking for.

I'd argue a strong defensive midfielder would only be required if we had floating midfielders, but as it is all of our quartet tend to stay in the middle of the park anyway, not ever really getting involved in the attack (in a way that, say, scholes does for united), thus we always have 2 in the middle and don't really need anyone to hold back. that could change if artus develops in the first team the way he has promised in the reserves, making runs and scoring goals, but i can't see him featuring heavily enough this season for us to need to splash out on another midfielder to compliment him yet.

to say the need for a midfielder is on a par with a striker seems silly to me. we currently only have 3 established strikers, 1 of whom has spent the last 12 months injured or not scoring any goals, and the other two who are unproven at this level really. we need a guy who will score 10-14 goals in the league this season guaranteed if we are to stay up (on top of the goals jevo, enoch, etc will provide)

I'd argue a strong defensive midfielder would only be required if we had floating midfielders, but as it is all of our quartet tend to stay in the middle of the park anyway, not ever really getting involved in the attack (in a way that, say, scholes does for united), thus we always have 2 in the middle and don't really need anyone to hold back. that could change if artus develops in the first team the way he has promised in the reserves, making runs and scoring goals, but i can't see him featuring heavily enough this season for us to need to splash out on another midfielder to compliment him yet.

I agree completely mate, last season our midfield did everything as a unit and it worked the majority of the time. I still think that if we do require an out and our makalele type player then cole skuse could well step up to the level. he's certainly quick enough to cover the ground and he's never been afraid to get stuck in where it hurts. Can't wait until the new season starts now, be very interesting to see how our lads adapt.

If I was Cole Skuse I'd be seeing the holding midfielder role as a chance to really kick-start my career.

Cole ain't ever going to be a David Batty type but for me his role model should be Owen Hargreaves. They're both of a similar build, have the same versatility, but I think Cole needs to focus on his defending, particularly the meaty challenges.

Skuse should look at his competition for midfield places and seize the opportunity to hone his defensive qualities. Get stuck in boy.

If I was Cole Skuse I'd be seeing the holding midfielder role as a chance to really kick-start my career.

Cole ain't ever going to be a David Batty type but for me his role model should be Owen Hargreaves. They're both of a similar build, have the same versatility, but I think Cole needs to focus on his defending, particularly the meaty challenges.

Skuse should look at his competition for midfield places and seize the opportunity to hone his defensive qualities. Get stuck in boy.

I must admit that one of the exciting things about next season is to witness how our younger players develop, and I really hope Cole Skuse does prove me wrong, and does go on to dominate the middle of the park.

One thing's for sure, if he does do well this season, then you will see him rated at approx 2/3 million next summer.

Why do we need to bring in another tough tackling defender? I personally think Keogh will do the job seeing some of the challenges he put in last season. He is always completely commited, puts his body on the line and gives 100% every game. He's played successfully in that position beforehand why don't we let him have another go before we splash the cash on someone we don't need?

Archived