Gj Breaks The Mould With His Latest Signings

Bristol Boy

Always one for getting players with the right:

• Quality
  • Mentality
  • Attitude

Described by his own Brother as:

"Wanting to sign players he'd have around his house for tea!"

Like him or lump him, GJ's his own man as the MS, MB & SP sagas proved.

So, looking at our money signings to date;

• Sproule-Firey character-Probably going to miss the first four games of the season due to suspension.Seems a similar character to McAllister who picked up a pile of bookings last season and was lucky not to go off on one or two occassions.
  • McIndoe-Fell out with GJ at Yeovil, although both men were happy to bury the hatchet, which is good and shows maturity.City will be McIndoes fifth club in a year and he seems to be an abrasive, straight talking character from his interview and what other players have said.Clearly GJ knows him inside out.

On what I've seen and what others have said, both are good players and I'm looking forward to seeing them play as they'll add what was lacking in terms of pace, goals, width and crosses.Question is-They are GJ's choices and GJ's signings. But are they GJ men?

Then we come onto the striker and, if it is Trundle, there's another player with, let's say, character!

Over to you.

Always one for getting players with the right:
  • Quality
  • Mentality
  • Attitude

Like him or lump him, GJ's his own man as the MS, MB & SP sagas proved.

So, looking at our money signings to date;

• Sproule-Firey character-Probably going to miss the first four games of the season due to suspension.Seems a similar character to McAllister who picked up a pile of bookings last season and was lucky not to go off on one or two occassions.
  • McIndoe-Fell out with GJ at Yeovil, although both men were happy to bury the hatchet, which is good and shows maturity.City will be McIndoes fifth club in a year and he seems to be an abrasive, straight talking character from his interview and what other players have said.Clearly GJ knows him inside out.
On what I've seen and what others have said, both are good players and I'm looking forward to seeing them play as they'll add what was lacking in terms of pace, goals, width and crosses.Question is-They are GJ's choices and GJ's signings. But are they GJ men?

Then we come onto the striker and, if it is Trundle, there's another player with, let's say, character!

Over to you.

All that comes to mind is that Johnson is aware of the personalities of these players and knows that for such people the opportunity to play in the Championship is too good an opportunity to waste. All three NEED to be playing at a decent level for a progressive team this year...two will be, Trundle should be.

Also, I've been wondering recently if Gary Johnson has a certain reputation amongst football agents by now. This would mean two things. Firstly, the player knows what is expected of him in advance of the contractual negotiations. Secondly, the player is advised to come across a certain way.

That made i laugh, i can just imagine the squad round GJs house sipping Earl Grey talking about tactics and stuff :laugh:

I cant stop thinking though that GJ is building a team like the old Dons, plenty of attitude and guts, capable of forcing victories against ANY side, Premiership or Championship.

My take on it is this, it is difficult enough anyway to find players of Championship quality that fit our wage structure.

If we were also trying to find angels with no baggage or skeletons in their closet we'd still be looking in May.

I think GJ and his brother do their research, so provided we're not signed big drinkers, brawlers or players with serious off field issues as we hope then we have to trust his judgement.

GJ put up a notice in the dressing room that we all read:

"If you want motivated players get players that can be motivated"

All three players have had issues/reputations but all will have a motive for playing this year:

Sproule wants to develop as an international and play at a higher level

Trundle - probably his last chance to play at a higher level and his motive presumeably will be to prove that he can do it at a higher level

McIndoe - wants to get into the Scottish team and may have been a bit part player at Wolves.

They all have motives and it's up to GJ to get the best out of them.

Each have had reputations - if they come to the current squad then I believe that if they want to start something that is ill-advised then there will be enough character in the squad to put them in their place - a word from Brooker and Orr will tell them how things can really screw up. In this regard GJ has got a healthy team spirit, fueled with enthusiasm and not booze and they will look out of place if they want to start things up - I guess it's not just the players who have to step up their skills next season but GJ has to step up his man mangement skills too. One last thought on any trouble that these players might have and wish to continue - each of them have a reputation and another motvie for the coming seasons will be to prove these reputations are well behind them - besides who will give them another chance? - McIndoe has had too many clubs, Trundle will be getting too old for another team to take a chance on and Sproule probably isnt as tarnished in the England but Scotland might be out of the question if another chance is required. They screw up and lower league football is about all they can expect for the rest of their careers.

I back GJ's man management skills and these players will be motivated.

GJ put up a notice in the dressing room that we all read:

"If you want motivated players get players that can be motivated"

All three players have had issues/reputations but all will have a motive for playing this year:

Sproule wants to develop as an international and play at a higher level

Trundle - probably his last chance to play at a higher level and his motive presumeably will be to prove that he can do it at a higher level

McIndoe - wants to get into the Scottish team and may have been a bit part player at Wolves.

They all have motives and it's up to GJ to get the best out of them.

Each have had reputations - if they come to the current squad then I believe that if they want to start something that is ill-advised then there will be enough character in the squad to put them in their place - a word from Brooker and Orr will tell them how things can really screw up. In this regard GJ has got a healthy team spirit, fueled with enthusiasm and not booze and they will look out of place if they want to start things up - I guess it's not just the players who have to step up their skills next season but GJ has to step up his man mangement skills too. One last thought on any trouble that these players might have and wish to continue - each of them have a reputation and another motvie for the coming seasons will be to prove these reputations are well behind them - besides who will give them another chance? - McIndoe has had too many clubs, Trundle will be getting too old for another team to take a chance on and Sproule probably isnt as tarnished in the England but Scotland might be out of the question if another chance is required. They screw up and lower league football is about all they can expect for the rest of their careers.

I back GJ's man management skills and these players will be motivated.

Totally agree! Good post!

I keep hearing about Trundle and his iffy temper and off field antics, what the hell has he done as i cant find anything on him, he seems to have been very loyal to one club which is very rare these days, Is he a bit firey off the pitch or do people think he is a bit of a lad because of things like soccer am?

Maybe Gj realises what we need is character and passion to help keep us up and move forward.

Cos at times you could say we are to nice for our own good.

Archived