IGNORED

Jevons So Far Having A Great Pre Season!

Red Ass

OK, I'm not Phil's biggest admirer, but he seems to have knuckled down, and was joint man of the match according to Huw Griffiths on the rivals site.

I for one, can see him being a big hit in the CCC this season, so give the guy a break, we all know he has decent technique, and is the best IMO at taking penalties at the club.....Come on Phil Jevons :clapping::clapping::clapping:

OK, I'm not Phil's biggest admirer, but he seems to have knuckled down, and was joint man of the match according to Huw Griffiths on the rivals site.

I for one, can see him being a big hit in the CCC this season, so give the guy a break, we all know he has decent technique, and is the best IMO at taking penalties at the club.....Come on Phil Jevons :clapping::clapping::clapping:

If he stays with us this season, I'd be surprised if he makes it into doube figures, I'm certain he wont do it with league goals. Not quick enough, not strong enough

So decent technique and the ability to have an unchallenged strike at goal from the penalty spot and not least a good performance against 10th rate opposition is enough for you to envisage Phil Jevons will make it in the championship!

I agree with you he does have a decent touch,however being deficient in so many other qualities will be noted even more should G.J. try to utilise him in the championship.He managed 9 goals from open play in the league last term,with the step-up I can't see him getting on the score sheet more than 5 or 6 times.For most the assumption is that he will not be first choice player,useful to a point, but surely a better strategy is to move him on thereby freeing up space for someone with real potential.

Like the one he took against boro in the cup?

He missed one penalty last season. Whatever you think of his play generally you are now just criticising a part of his game for the sake of it. Small minded and totally pathetic in my view.

Criticising his penalties is just as silly as saying he is going to be a hit in the Championship just because he has done well in two pre-season friendlies, in Latvia.

I posted the following on the other Jevons thread. Its relevant to this thread as well so here goes again.

Cue the inevitable response from Seend Red.

Agree with your post 100% Tompo, I think this criticism is very premature. Everyones entiltled to their view but when a current City player is subjected to the vitriol Jevons has been before the new season has even started, it just defies belief :dunno: .

I am not a big fan either, but I would be delighted for him and City if he proves me wrong. Friendlies in Latvia are a far cry from West Brom and Wolves away though....

You're right there Billy. In one, we are playing where the fans talk a different language you can't understand, in the other we are playing in Latvia!

Guest chingfordred
You're right there Billy. In one, we are playing where the fans talk a different language you can't understand, in the other we are playing in Latvia!

Jevons is a League 2 player. that is his level. He was prolific against the likes of Darlington and Rushden, but when playing for Yeovil in League 1 he struggled for goals and he struggled for us last year. there is no way in a zillion years that Jevons can perform in The Championship. He's not got the ability.

And by the way I recall he socred in Latvia last year during a friendly, its not hard against the mighty Olympic XI of Latvia surely? So all you people jumping up and down as if you have won this debate now, think again. Guaranteed if we get Trundle and one other he will be fifth choice and loaned or sold.

Guest chingfordred
Jevons is a League 2 player. that is his level. He was prolific against the likes of Darlington and Rushden, but when playing for Yeovil in League 1 he struggled for goals and he struggled for us last year. there is no way in a zillion years that Jevons can perform in The Championship. He's not got the ability.

And by the way I recall he socred in Latvia last year during a friendly, its not hard against the mighty Olympic XI of Latvia surely? So all you people jumping up and down as if you have won this debate now, think again. Guaranteed if we get Trundle and one other he will be fifth choice and loaned or sold.

PS: Anyone got any spare change out there?

jevons is the most prolific goalscorer at the club imo, but he wasn't given enough chances last season if he would have played every game he would have scored 20+ easy. Jevons will be quality in the championship if he can fight for his place and become a regular starter once we get another striker in. :englandsmile4wf:

I posted the following on the other Jevons thread. Its relevant to this thread as well so here goes again.

To save posting it all again, I share your belief tompo.

I think Jevons will play more to his style in the championship. He's a bit like Luke Wiltshire was, couldn't quite make it happen often enough in division 1, but if we only had him now.

You're right that Jevons isn't a natural leader, and needs a strong man and good service on a plate to make it work for him. He appears frustratingly lazy. I have been disappointed that the Jevons who I believed we had signed, the one that seemed to score every game for Yeovil, didn't seem like the one we ended up with. Maybe our expectations were too high, and it didn't help his confidence that Enoch started the season so well and quickly became a 'fans favoirite', whilst he struggled to make his mark.

Hopefully alongside Sproule and McIndoe, and a yet to be decided regular strike partner, sorry but I don't think Brooker is the answer, we will see Jevons flourish. it sounds like he has made a good start pre-season anyway.

For the record, as a 22 year old, he scored 6 league goals in 26 starts for a weak Grimsby Championship side. Thats better than any other player on our books, goals per Championship game.

I was not thrilled with his 90 minute efforts last season, but he's under contract, has performed at Championship level, and given the opportunity and better support players, may justify his place in the squad.

Guest chingfordred
For the record, as a 22 year old, he scored 6 league goals in 26 starts for a weak Grimsby Championship side. Thats better than any other player on our books, goals per Championship game.

I was not thrilled with his 90 minute efforts last season, but he's under contract, has performed at Championship level, and given the opportunity and better support players, may justify his place in the squad.

6 in 26. Pathetic.

jevons is the most prolific goalscorer at the club imo, but he wasn't given enough chances last season if he would have played every game he would have scored 20+ easy. Jevons will be quality in the championship if he can fight for his place and become a regular starter once we get another striker in. :englandsmile4wf:

HELLO are you on drugs jevons is no where good enough for the championship and 20 + goals don't be silly he was the bloke who missed from 8 yards out v millwall

Didnt he play on the wing for Grimsby as well?

6 in 26. Pathetic.

Chingford Red - you really are enjoying your crusade against Jevons, what did the man do to you other then play a very significant part in our promotion campaing last season? (17 goals etc - and yes, penalties really do count as goals - I know, I'm as as shocked as you are!)

The fact is, you have written him off already, which is pathetic, at least give the man a chance and assess the situation in December.

Jevo was important last season, and really helped to guide us through a tough winter period, when he was vital to the team - or have you forgot?

Lets just wait and see how he will do.....

If he stays with us this season, I'd be surprised if he makes it into doube figures, I'm certain he wont do it with league goals. Not quick enough, not strong enough

I see a similar player to Jamie Cureton, in Jevo.

You do not always need pace and strength to score goals, as proved with the pint sized ex Gas head!

Christiano ronaldo missed from 2 yards...does that make him shit?

Everyone misses a sitter ocasionally!!

If he missed a lot of sitters, I wouldnt be worried. I'm more worried by the fact Jevons doesnt actually get in the right positions. How many times last season did City go forward, only for Jevons to be lagging behind or playing to deep.

Strikers who miss a few chances don't worry me, law of averages say the more chances you make....the more you will eventually score. Jevons didnt miss many chances last season as he was never in the right place at the right time

Guest chingfordred
If he missed a lot of sitters, I wouldnt be worried. I'm more worried by the fact Jevons doesnt actually get in the right positions. How many times last season did City go forward, only for Jevons to be lagging behind or playing to deep.

Strikers who miss a few chances don't worry me, law of averages say the more chances you make....the more you will eventually score. Jevons didnt miss many chances last season as he was never in the right place at the right time

This is the best post I have read. Exactly true and echos my sentiments.

6 in 26. Pathetic.

I have swayed from criticism of you as an individual, however we were happily unaware of your existance a few weeks ago, but you have arrived, full of criticism, unresearched comment and the attitude of one of the kids we get on school holidays, which I assume you are.

I welcome your comments when and if you wish to be constructive rather than destructive. So give me the name of another City player who has done better than 6 in 26 starts at Championship level in a losing team or any team.

As for pathetic, look up the word " mirror ".

Chingford Red - you really are enjoying your crusade against Jevons, what did the man do to you other then play a very significant part in our promotion campaing last season? (17 goals etc - and yes, penalties really do count as goals - I know, I'm as as shocked as you are!)

The fact is, you have written him off already, which is pathetic, at least give the man a chance and assess the situation in December.

Jevo was important last season, and really helped to guide us through a tough winter period, when he was vital to the team - or have you forgot?

Lets just wait and see how he will do.....

Disagree.....we cant afford to wait to December. If come to December we still havent signed 1 or 2 strikers and are struggling near the bottom, we will find it hard to attract a decent enough striker to fire us out of trouble.

Sentiments are all well and good.....but it wont score you goals or keep you up.

Yes maybe keep him on the books as back up, but we cannot rely on this lad to score the goals that will keep us in the Championship,

Just been having a chat with Huw on msn from an internet cafe in Riga. Just to clarify, Jevo had a good game yeaterday, well the part he played in, was no where near as good in the first match in fact the two performances were poles apart. To my mind this is Jevo's major problem, consistency or lack there of, too many poor performances interlaced by the ocassional superb one.

Guest chingfordred
I have swayed from criticism of you as an individual, however we were happily unaware of your existance a few weeks ago, but you have arrived, full of criticism, unresearched comment and the attitude of one of the kids we get on school holidays, which I assume you are.

I welcome your comments when and if you wish to be constructive rather than destructive. So give me the name of another City player who has done better than 6 in 26 starts at Championship level in a losing team or any team.

As for pathetic, look up the word " mirror ".

Firstly I am 24 years old, I am well educated and well known so quite frankly don't patronise me!

Firstly I am 24 years old, I am well educated and well known so quite frankly don't patronise me!

Now people play nice, he's either our new celebrity poster or has 'connections'!!!

Red rag to a bull methinks!

I personally feel that all of our strikers should be judged once we have out and out wingers who create oppertunites and chnaces for our strikers.... Last season our strikers were not prolific but that maybe was because at times we have very little width and crosses coming into the box ie no left winger & Betsy????

I'm hoping that now we have3 decent wingers in Murray, Spourle & McIndoe we might see more chances created for our frontmen to tuck away!

I cannot recall our strikers last season missing a boatload of chances, neither can I remember a massive dela of oppertunites from the flnaks being crated for us!

I'm not a massive Jevons fan however two of his better games were against Coventry home and away!

Does anyone know our strikers goals V shots ratio???

Archived