IGNORED

Saturdays Practice Match

Sargent Pepper

After the dissapointment of the Hereford postponement (never heard of a preseason game called off due to weather before) and the lack of football driving me bonkers i decided to venture up to the training ground to watch the training match, and as there is no mention of it on the main site i thought some of you may be interested in how it went.

Make no mistake it was taken seriously, no starting and stopping or swapping teams around. This was 60 mins of good fairly commited football despite GJ instructing everyone there will be no mad tackles. I was amazed no one had the same idea to watch, infact the only spectators was myself GJ, SL and Damien Gimenez (who looks like he could be in Right Said Fred!). The game was refereed by Alan Walsh abilly assisted by linesmen Keith Millen and Stu Naylor.

The teams lined up:

REDS

Henderson

B Wilson

Carey

J Wilson

Slocombe

Betsy

Russell

Skuse

Myrie-Williams

Murray

Jevons

WHITES

Weale

Orr

Keogh

Ribero

McAllister

Sproule

Johnson

Artus

McIndoe

Showumni

Plumber

I don't think you could read to much into team selection except maybe GJ teamed up fullbacks with what will be there Wingers who are likely to play ahead of them perhaps to gel in time for the big kick off.

You could tell the lads haven't spent to much of the summer in Bristol as most of them had nice tans and during the game the rain stayed away which made the Hereford postponment even more annoying. The game started at a good pace with a midfield battle where particularly Alex Russell stood out. I've recently become even more of a fan of Aggy's. I think his influence in the run in went a little unnoticed and i'm pleased he signed a new deal. Basiclly I don't think he wasted a ball for the reds in this match which helped them take the lead after about 15 mins. Jevo went in for a challenge with Keogh which ended up with the ball spinning to Scotty Murray who found the back of the net. 1-0 the reds.

That woke the Whites up and they began to take the game to the reds with Keogh marshalling Jevons well, and before everyone starts slagging off Jevo, he gave it his all but lacked any real service which he wasn't shy in telling his team.(who says he's not interested). It wasn't long before Enoch equillised and he looked in impressive form leading the line very well which was helped by the better service from our two new wide men. I think Ivan is going to be a real fans favourite. He seems a real character and i'm looking forward to him playing in front of me in the dolman this season. You can tell he is passionate and boy is he quick!!! On the other flank Macca and Macca teamed up well, supporting each other well.

Before long Enoch had got his 2nd scoring at Hendersons near post. The big Irishman got one back shortly after by collecting a cross and clattering into Showumni in the process. I held my breath as the big man laid in a heap on the floor but was quickly up and about again. Soon after Enoch was suffering with ear ache as he and Brad were having a disagrement over some of the runs he was making, which carried on untill half time where Enoch told him to chill as it was only practice which Bradley countered with "well lets get it perfect now and we'll be better prepared". Orr is probably a pain to play with because he does like a moan but you've got to love his passion.

Minutes later a loose pass from the reds back line was picked up by Frankie who fed Lee Johnson who took the ball past the reds defence before rounding Henderson to place the ball in a empty net. 3-1 whites. This brought about half time and Basso coming on for the reds. The 2nd half was a bit tighter and the only goal went to the whites again. Jono chipping a quick freekick over the defence for Tristan to finish with a neat half volley. Enoch nearly sealed a hatrick with a dipping volley that just flew over. Jordan Walker came on for Orr before Bradley re-entered the game for Jaimie McAllister who was just begining to feel his sore foot again.

Towards the end GJ asked Millen how much time was left and when the reply came back 3 mins he quipped better make it 2 as we always pick up an injury in the last min! The game ended 4-1 to the whites and you could see the reds were not happy with there performance but both teams were quickly told by GJ to remember that whether red or white everyone here is your team mate and that they were at a good standard for this stage of preseason.

Gary and Steve we're very deep in conversation through out, perhaps discussing a new arrival this week? I managed to grab a quick word with Glen Schimdt who assured me that Jaimie McCombe and Liam were over thier injurys and were just being rested over the weekend. Nobes and Brooker were also there but training alone with Glen.

All in all i'm glad i went and thankfull to GJ for letting me watch and I hope he doesn't mind me reporting on here. Now, whats the weather forecast for tuesday night in Torquay??? :fingerscrossed:

Nice little report there, thankyou. Orr is quality, love his attitude, Cant stop thinking of the SKy game now, vs Boro when he headbutted Carey for being out of position during a set peice of somthing.

pretty certain is was against northampton...

Landsdown was up there was he Sarge?

Yes mate before i got there and was still there when I left. Him and Johnson spent the whole time chatting with GJ having very little to do with the game. I was dying to go up and ask "yer, are we going to sign a striker or what?!?!?" but managed to resist the urge ! :innocent06:

Archived