IGNORED

Lansdown Sellout ?

RevGideonSoames

Multi millionaire worth £200M, willing to discuss the sale of the club for £40M.

Maybe he should have said NO NOT INTERESTED rather than entertaining any kind of discussions.

Should he entertain these Foreign Johnnies?

I don't like it !!!

Blessed are the Red Army

Hahaha, try doubling that and you may start getting near the correct figure! At the end of the day, we need investment. If SL isn't going to free up £Xm's to strenghten the team then it's a necessity to attract alternative investment so that we can survive and, in time, hopefully prosper at this level IMHO.

Think it goes as follows..

Chairman with a doubled figured multimillion pound business, is waiting to see what happens this seaosn in the championship, if we get relegated he will sell up, if we stay in chapionship he will consider selling up, if we get promoted he will then start investing because obviously if we have premiership ambitions for the future we are going to need million pound players - Lets see Steve's reply to that on the official site :laugh:

Chairman with a doubled figured multimillion pound business,

I'm afraid you are way off the mark with that one mate. HL is currently worth around £1bn (I should know, I work for them) making him worth at least £500m (inlcuding other assets etc) - this makes the £40m being bannded about a mere drop in the ocean in comparison to his wealth. It is why I am taking the stories with a pinch of salt!

My own view is that all these people shouting for money from him should remember one thing... Steve has injected millions into club over the years that we have languished in that bloody division! Let's not forget that he could have cut his losses and bailed a LONG time ago! He has however kept true to his word and stuck on in there. Clearly from a business point of view he would like to start seeing some return on his invested millions, but one thing is true of Steve (and is the reason why he is where he is today with HL), he knows it cannot happen over night.

All this talk of him aiming for the Premiership next season etc is b***ocks. He knows as well as we do that it's going to be tough this season and our first aim should be to avoid relegation. If we can do that with a few decent signings, THEN is the time to inject even more money into the club.

What the future holds from Steve? Who knows, but If I were a betting man (and thinking a bit with the business side of my brain) he has invested too much in the club to just sell up and walk away for a mere £40m. The lure of money from the Premiership in a possible few seasons is too much for that to happen.

Rome wasn't built in a day!

Sorry where you say "invest" you surely mean loan.

No, I do mean invest. To invest is to expend money into something to get a return or gain. In this case Steve has - over the years - invested millions into Bristol City/Aston Gate Holdings (a commercial venture) with the expectation of seeing larger returns in the future.

So your saying that he's with Bristol City for financial gain?

I don't know what Steve is thinking, I can only give my opinion.

One thing's for sure in my mind though - if Steve were in it for 100% financial gain he would have cut his losses and bailed a long time ago when we failed to get promotion year after year. Seeing how emotional he was when we got promoted proves that he has a love for Bristol City, and the fact he has stuck with us shows his commitment to the club.

There will always be a business side to football as it's the world we live in these days, and it's obvious Steve would like to see returns on the money he has pumped into the club. But along with those returns comes success and that is what IMO is driving the club at the present time.

We are in a lucky position to have a Chairman like Steve (no i'm not just saying that becasue I work for him!) becasue he has a level head that doesn't spend spend spend on whims and fads, but the key thing is his business brain and deep pockets that keep us afloat when needs be.

I am 100% sure that without him BCFC would be in a dire state today.

IMHO everything indicates to me that SL is definately considering leaving BCFC.

After all the SPIN about REALLY strengthening the squad (what we have done so far has been relatively on the cheap- IMO about 800k inc SO fees etc- of which we were given 700k extra from TV rights) he now says we cannot compete with other teams regarding signing players. Where has the extra £100 on most STs gone?.

1 new striker will not break the bank unless SL is also paying for the new East End stand.

We are getting left behind big time as today a certain Burnley director is paying £10m out of his own pocket to finance their redevelopment of Turf Moor and he probably has less money than SL.

I would suggest that very few teams in the top 2 divisions of the football league (Premiership/Championship) are 'standing

on their own two feet' and probably haven't for quite a while.

SL has done well to cut our debt to around the £2m mark but now we are up with the BIG BOYS we need to move on and progress not stand still and regress.

And finally don't forget who ACTUALLY (when it comes down to basics) owns Ashton Gate, and it certainly isn't the football club.

BCAGFC

IMHO everything indicates to me that SL is definately considering leaving BCFC.

I personally think that if we go straight back down (at no fault but our own) then yes he may try and cut his losses and sell up - but, if we stay up then I beleive he is going nowhere (for the reasons I stated above).

The main thing we all have on our side is the players know that if they go straight back down they will have nobody to blame but themselves, which hopefully will spur them on to achieve their best perfoermances. We have a fully capable set of players there who can stand on their own two feet in the Championship, and the signings we have made will help bolster that. The signings aren't there to replace existing players or disrupt moral, but instead compliment the squad and fill in the missing gaps. Having said that though I am still hoping we manage to get another striker before the season starts!

Instead of pumping millions and millions into the club and praying it does the trick, I think Steve has instead made cautious educated decisions to bring in solid signings. If he were to splurge millions out now and we go back down straight away we would be in dire straights! No ifs no buts, we would be in the mire and the club could potentially fold (especially if Steve packed his bags and left)!

Let's not forget that our aim this season isn't promotion, it's survival - so a slow but sure plan has my backing as it preserves the club in the long run, as well as the short term.

We have to cover all bases.

I personally think that if we go straight back down (at no fault but our own) then yes he may try and cut his losses and sell up - but, if we stay up then I beleive he is going nowhere (for the reasons I stated above).

The main thing we all have on our side is the players know that if they go straight back down they will have nobody to blame but themselves, which hopefully will spur them on to achieve their best perfoermances. We have a fully capable set of players there who can stand on their own two feet in the Championship, and the signings we have made will help bolster that. The signings aren't there to replace existing players or disrupt moral, but instead compliment the squad and fill in the missing gaps. Having said that though I am still hoping we manage to get another striker before the season starts!

Instead of pumping millions and millions into the club and praying it does the trick, I think Steve has instead made cautious educated decisions to bring in solid signings. If he were to splurge millions out now and we go back down straight away we would be in dire straights! No ifs no buts, we would be in the mire and the club could potentially fold (especially if Steve packed his bags and left)!

Let's not forget that our aim this season isn't promotion, it's survival - so a slow but sure plan has my backing as it preserves the club in the long run, as well as the short term.

We have to cover all bases.

I agree that we can't afford to go spending MILLIONS (plural) on players but as I have said the additions so far have been covered by the extra TV income and we are also getting an extra 700k from the Premier League so spending another 750k - £1m on a player will not break the bank.

And don't forget the ST increase.

BCAGFC

I agree that we can't afford to go spending MILLIONS (plural) on players but as I have said the additions so far have been covered by the extra TV income and we are also getting an extra 700k from the Premier League so spending another 750k - £1m on a player will not break the bank.

And don't forget the ST increase.

BCAGFC

I agree, I would like to see a striker signed for that amount of money, but I can't believe that Steve is refusing to spend that money and is just banking it - and if he is then he has his eyes set on somebody and is waiting (maybe for the season to get underway!). One thing Steve is is a VERY astute businessman, so that money must be being used to it's best capicity somewhere. As HL is worth £1bn I can't see him needing the money, therefore he must be redistributing it elsewhere within the club.

The only thing I can think is the cost of the new pitch, seating, PA system, and don't foget the wage bill has literally doubled.

I agree, I would like to see a striker signed for that amount of money, but I can't believe that Steve is refusing to spend that money and is just banking it - and if he is then he has his eyes set on somebody and is waiting (maybe for the season to get underway!). One thing Steve is is a VERY astute businessman, so that money must be being used to it's best capicity somewhere. As HL is worth £1bn I can't see him needing the money, therefore he must be redistributing it elsewhere within the club.

The only thing I can think is the cost of the new pitch, seating, PA system, and don't foget the wage bill has literally doubled.

In my opinion Steve L is not in City for financial gain. As mentioned elsewhere he's an astute businessman and most of those investing in football won't see much of a return. The flip side of this is that at this stage of his life he's also not prepared to pump millions into the club without some certainty that it will be re-imbursed. I think his plan is to move towards the club acting on a sustainable footing thereby helping to shore up its long-term survival.

Wigan have enjoyed some reasonable success in recent years but how long would they sustain it if Dave Whelan was to pull out. I think they'd be back in League One within 5 years if not sooner.

Possibly the ideal scenario for Steve L is for City to stabilise in the Championship and for the fan base to grow towards the 20,000 mark which would pave the way for enlargement of Ashton Gate. This would then help finance a tilt at the PL.

Archived