IGNORED

Getting Kids Into City

SecretSam

I want to brainwash, sorry, encourage my babbies (aged 2) to get into the mighty City

Suggestions please

(Sensible ones, they are 2 years old, so going to away games is a non-starter)

Trouble is, round my way (Bucks) no serious league teams so the likes of Arsenal, Manure and Chelski are very attractive

I'd love my kids to love my team, but at the end of the day, I can't force them...

I want to brainwash, sorry, encourage my babbies (aged 2) to get into the mighty City

Suggestions please

Trouble is, round my way (Bucks) no serious league teams so the likes of Arsenal, Manure and Chelski are very attractive

I'd love my kids to love my team, but at the end of the day, I can't force them...

Just start to take them when you can, and buy a shrit for them online. When i was young and my Uncle and my dad used to take me (when money would allow!) I used to feel great knowing that i'd actually been to football game, more grown up if you will! When i was in the Juniors Liverpool / Everton were kind of the Man U Chelsea of today, but not matter how good the were, none of the kids who liked them had ever see them play, let alone been to real life football match!!!! The gaggle of loyal Bristol City fans in my junior school used to love the fact that we would actually go and watch city on a Saturday!!

Getting all nostalgic now, anyone remeber the first time they went to watch on their own, i.e no parents involved??

Just start to take them when you can, and buy a shrit for them online. When i was young and my Uncle and my dad used to take me (when money would allow!) I used to feel great knowing that i'd actually been to football game, more grown up if you will! When i was in the Juniors Liverpool / Everton were kind of the Man U Chelsea of today, but not matter how good the were, none of the kids who liked them had ever see them play, let alone been to real life football match!!!! The gaggle of loyal Bristol City fans in my junior school used to love the fact that we would actually go and watch city on a Saturday!!

Getting all nostalgic now, anyone remeber the first time they went to watch on their own, i.e no parents involved??

Been with mates last season, but then again being only just 19 and only passing my driving test at start of last season its understandable. First time on my own will be this saturday though for yeovil.

"On my own" - well, aged 8 or so a gang of us from school went to see City vs Man U in the league, ended 1-1, Dave Rogers got our goal, later became the groundsman at my school!!!!!

Really on my own - the Gas, in (?) '84 or so, we won 3-0 and Alan someone or other (not Walshy) scored an absolute screamer for number one

I nearly exploded with joy after that game, still remember that goal going in

It's hard that's for sure. My lad came to many games when he was younger, think it was more for the day out though. He hasn't bothered for a couple of years.

He's 15 now and has always supported manure, he was born and lives within 35 miles though. Personally I'd rather he supported Crewe or Macclesfield or Vale, even Sjoke but........

Perhaps the Championship may see him come to games again.

Its a difficult one, and one I hope you can answer for me in five or ten years time!

I am bristolian, so its easy for me to feel that "tie" with the city and the club. It would be difficult for me to get my kids to support a championship or god forbid, a league one side when I live in London at present! Espacially if they only go to Bristol on occasions...

Get them into the kits, make them watch everything online, talk to them about it, show them how happy it makes you and take them to as many games as possible. Fingers crossed...

I live 500 miles away and have 3 children aged 7, 4 and 2 and I have brainwashed, I mean converted them to city. an easy way is just to talk to them about it whenever you are down in bristol take them to watch city make a big thing about going my 7 year old always looks forward to it and always wants the kits he even has the city badge painted on his wall and the simpsons in city kits.

My 4 year old will be going to his first game this season and he thing Gary Johnson is king they pick up on it all and he just can't wait to go and I have already started on the 2 year old wont know whats hit him soon. It was a nightmare at first as all the inlaws are Rangers fans but they seem so far to have come out on the right side, he has even started to convert a few of his friends.

I live 500 miles away and have 3 children aged 7, 4 and 2 and I have brainwashed, I mean converted them to city. an easy way is just to talk to them about it whenever you are down in bristol take them to watch city make a big thing about going my 7 year old always looks forward to it and always wants the kits he even has the city badge painted on his wall and the simpsons in city kits.

My 4 year old will be going to his first game this season and he thing Gary Johnson is king they pick up on it all and he just can't wait to go and I have already started on the 2 year old wont know whats hit him soon. It was a nightmare at first as all the inlaws are Rangers fans but they seem so far to have come out on the right side, he has even started to convert a few of his friends.

Awww...and I guess we can all have 2 teams

Guest east_dundry_red

Least where yopu are there are no other teams (or sports) to contend with. To be honets when i have kids if I'm in newport first and foremost i will take them to watch the Gwent dragons as with this area it's all rugby. The problem over here is that alot of kids tend to support cardiff because there are no other clubs within 35miles. most people won't watch Bristol city because of a. the bridge charge, b. were an english club.

I think the best bet is to get them into city shirts early so everyone sees them as a city fan from a young age and they grow up believeing that they have always been a city fans and its wrong to watch another team.

Just take them to a few games and the excitement of live football will get them hooked. My daughter was a Man Utd fan till i started to take her to watch City and she soon became hooked. She is now a season ticket holder because no matter what the team going to the match live is so much better than watching at home on Sky.

I was 5 when i first went to see city, just before my 6th b'day, and saw them 3 times in the 94/5 season. I was hooked after the first game, i cant remember much of it though. I moved away in 96 which made the chances of seeing city drop so i think the next time i saw them was 97/8 when lost the home leg of play-offs to brentford. With moving away though i think my dad tried to convert me into a perterbrough fan, as was season ticket holder for 9 years as that was my local side and he supports them. I decided to choose City as they was first team i saw play and first game i ever went to. I'm the only city fan in my whole family, as parents from out here in cambridgeshire. Whenever get asked which team i support, i still say my local side of bristol city, as to me they still are from when lived down in weston.

If you can just take them now and again when old enough to know where there going and if have an interest should soon pick it up. Getting them some of the kit or related merchandise that they'll see or use a lot to help to remind them. Although i managed to get pulled in without need for shirts or anything else.

Suggestions please

SecretSam, where abouts in Bucks? We do have a few Cider Reds in the county?

Its a difficult one, and one I hope you can answer for me in five or ten years time!

I am bristolian, so its easy for me to feel that "tie" with the city and the club. It would be difficult for me to get my kids to support a championship or god forbid, a league one side when I live in London at present! Espacially if they only go to Bristol on occasions...

Get them into the kits, make them watch everything online, talk to them about it, show them how happy it makes you and take them to as many games as possible. Fingers crossed...

Good post LotB.

The bit I highlighted above is the best advice I could give you, Sam. Even though I'm a Yeovil fan, the advice and the principle is the same.

I have twin boys who are six. Took them to their first game when they were three, left it a year then took them to nine games the next season just as a taster. They seemed to like it but it was the last nine games of that season so when summer came, I thought they would lose interest. Took them to a 20/20 cricket game as well but cricket has never caught their imagination as much.

Last season, I suggested football when the season started and to my delight, they were well up for it. We started going regularly ( I have them every weekend ) and they fell in love with Yeovil. I subscribe to Glovers World ( online highlights, interviews etc ) and they would surf the site looking for goals from past matches. In the end last season, they missed only three home matches plus they went to City away as well. Needless to say, I was reticent about taking them to Forest in the playoff semi final ( firstly because we were looking unlikely to win and secondly three hours in a car might have been too much for them ) but I'm so glad I did, they'll remember that night as long as they live. Obviously went to Wembley too and they loved every minute of the drive, the tube, the stadium etc etc.

Sorry for the long post but it's a pet interest of mine, taking youngsters to football. A very dear friend ( now no longer with us ) took the time and trouble and money to take me along to Yeovil when I was two years old and I've been going ever since!! Next May, I'll be forty years old and I thank him every week under my breath when the teams run out at the start that he had the foresight to take me with him. For that, I will never forget him or stop thanking him.

My 2yr old is already brainwashed, started off with City babygrows and has now moved on to the kits, runs round kissing the badge :D Always take the kids to the open day to meet the players.

Archived