IGNORED

Should We Be Concerned?

Andy082005

Ok, feel free to shoot me down here, but should we be concerned after what can only be described as a very below average pre-season so far.

I wont go on and on about our striker situation, as its been talked about to the point where I think all you have to do is mention the words "Trundle" and "Naismith" and you want to start punching people! What has not been talked about is the fact we are leeking goals, 4 last night against poor conference opposition, 2 against Torquay and quite a few in Latvia........do we have enough bite in this team to compete in the Championship or are we to lightweight?

I know its only friendlies, and I'm certainly not hitting the "panic button" but these results have certainly thrown up some questions which may need to be answered sooner rather then later

thoughts?

We need to be concerned because of the step up were making, but not concerned by the pre season form.

If I remember rightly we were in fine form pre season with Tinman at the helm and we all know what happened there.

Cant read too far into pre season results in my mind.

Always humbling losing to teams in lower/non leagues but thats pre season for you.

Look at Weymouth walking over Cardiff, MK Dons beating West Ham, Barcelona beating Dundee...errrr scrap the last one!

As for leaking goals....mainly been Weale who to be fair has been lacking match practice and Henderson in goal over the friendlies.

Striker issue...yup a big issue but cant be arsed to enter into the great rumour debates/threads on who when where and why because my step dads aunties cousin chatted to Gary Johnsons dogs vets sister and can confirm that 'LeePauloNaismithTrundleColeFowlerWotchamathingy' has held top secret talks and will sign tommorrow.

**** it. Rock on the 11th or August when it all begins...then we can all be concerned/happy/praiseful/critical/etc etc etc

Ok, feel free to shoot me down here, but should we be concerned after what can only be described as a very below average pre-season so far.

I wont go on and on about our striker situation, as its been talked about to the point where I think all you have to do is mention the words "Trundle" and "Naismith" and you want to start punching people! What has not been talked about is the fact we are leeking goals, 4 last night against poor conference opposition, 2 against Torquay and quite a few in Latvia........do we have enough bite in this team to compete in the Championship or are we to lightweight?

I know its only friendlies, and I'm certainly not hitting the "panic button" but these results have certainly thrown up some questions which may need to be answered sooner rather then later

thoughts?

My concern is that we are notoriously slow starters,and have what could arguably be described as a relatively easy start, esp in terms of our first three league games.If we don't gel, and hit the floor running, in a manner of speaking, we might find trying to catch up more difficult given the quality of the opposition we will be facing.Our defensive unit has not actually played together much so far, and the new players will need to settle, but although defeats now don't cost points etc, the psychological impact of consecutive defeats against lowly opponents might be detrimental in terms of individual and team morale.I am not a 'doomer' but would accept fifth from bottom now if it was offered.

We have yet to put out a team that will contest a game, maybe the saturday starting lot will; its supposed to be competitive so compete :disapointed2se:

Wake up CITY times moving on, bring the team spirit and battling edge back; sort it out Garry WAKE UP

I'm very concerned because as much as we have looked poor, watching the games I'm left wondering if we have the natural ability to step it up.

Yeovil is a proper test but its a must win game, defeat there and i think the panic button needs pressing. I think its interesting that Johnson spoke on the terms of wanting 2-3 year players, which in my opinion is not good. if you sign a 33 year old influencial player with experience on a free and he does well, chances are he will end his career with you., But when u bring in league 1 and 2 players the risk there always is, is that you will never be anything more than a league 1 club. I hope I'm wrong but lets be honest If our under 18s are as good as Johnson thinks they are, they should have been ablet o beat the likes of Forest green and Torquay. no disrespect intended to a non league team but if i was one of Johnsons first team and i just got played off the park by players from 3-4 leagues below i would feel rather ashamed.

You may say about West Ham and the Dons, but west Ham played about 4 of their first team and they would have been more known as bench players.

I find it worrying that after a lesson by Torquay we played worse against Fores Green.

I'm not saying its time for panic buying but who in there right mind thought we would only have singed 3 players by the end of july, okay we've gone from having 1 natural winger to 3 , but no strikers, no proven defenders , no playmaker and most of all no target man, I think it really needs addressing. Lansdowne always said when we got to the Championship he would invest to take us further, I may be missing something but I'm glad he aint my stock broker with the investments he's got in mind.

Also i don't see the point of bringing in Henderson. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of lads in Bristol finsihing their GCSE's with about as much potential as him. I never personally thought goalkeepers were a problem.

I think from now until the season starts it is the performance in each game that counts. We need show a great improvement on the last few days and start looking like a Championship side even if we don't necessarily batter the teams in front of us. That will give the players the confidence we are going to need. I agree that results in pre-season are meaningless. However, performances in these games are not.

No, we don't need to be concerned at all.

On Saturday 11th August, we will have Gary's strongest available 11 on the pitch, playing in front of a large crowd generating a good atmosphere........a million miles away from a friendly at Forest green Rovers!

Friendlies mean nothing.

On Saturday 11th August, we will have Gary's strongest available 11 on the pitch, playing in front of a large crowd generating a good atmosphere........a million miles away from a friendly at Forest green Rovers!

Friendlies mean nothing.

Normally I would agree with you that friendlies do mean nothing, but if you had witnessed the complete inept performance last night at FGR then you too would be worried. I must add that some of the better players last night were the younger ones, Ribiero when he came on, Wilson and Arteus once McCombe and Johnson were off.

Normally I would agree with you that friendlies do mean nothing, but if you had witnessed the complete inept performance last night at FGR then you too would be worried. I must add that some of the better players last night were the younger ones, Ribiero when he came on, Wilson and Arteus once McCombe and Johnson were off.

OK, I wasn't there so I admit you have that advantage over me, but come on......do you really think that result would have happened if it had been a competitive game?

OK, I wasn't there so I admit you have that advantage over me, but come on......do you really think that result would have happened if it had been a competitive game?

I would agree that we would normally be more competitive, but the alround display was very poor. Sproule did show some good pace and touches which was also encouraging. Lets just wait for the 11th.

Hi Guys, I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you, friendlies IMO don't mean too much, I have only just seen the result, so I don't know what team you played, but at the end of the day the season (and results) don't mean anything until 11th August.

Friendlies mean nothing.

West Ham losing to MK Dons, strange results everywhere, but none of them matter, except to make the unlikely winners and their fans feel great for a few days,

Bournmouth is the friendly to judge, that should be almost our starting line up for the 11th.

but even losing that won't be a disaster .

lose all pre season and win first three in the league ....... or win pre seasons, and get 2 points from the first 3 or 4 league games .....

I know which is more inportant to me.

but i guess folks are bored waiting for the season to start, so the doom merchants will be posting everywhere,

bring on the CHAMPIONSHIP

:englandsmile4wf:

Archived