IGNORED

Trundle [yawn!] Star Quality But ....

headhunter

Seeing the You Tube video of Trundle in action suggests he can not only find the net but has a touch perhaps not seen at the Gate since Jackie D in the early 90's

OK, he isn't proven at Championship level but he will make a difference to our lack lustre forward line.

What concerns me is this. The board have done a complete U-TURN on their declared policy of some years back of never paying big £ for a player whose best years are behind them.

We had a track record of signing players with no resale value : Atteveld, Andersonand Jones, to name just 3.

And this is the problem with Trundle - in three years time [his contract length, assuming he signs] he will be 34; shoot me down if you like particularly if over this period his goals secure Championship status.

I think this is something of a panic buy and I pose this question ..... could we have made more effort to get Leon Best [was it £400k he went to Coventry for?] and in so doing had a player with as many championship appearances as anyone in our current squad and someone who more likely than not could have been sold to a Premiership club at a big profit say two years down the line.

Over to you...

One final thing, with Trundle on board at least we might see a bit of Pussy at the Gate in the months ahead !! [assuming he continues to date the Atomic Kitten singer].

i don't think its a panic buy in the slightest. hes a quality player and other championship clubs have been after him (sheffield wednesday) thus showing other championship managers rate him as highly as GJ. if we stay in the championship this season he'll be worth every penny, even if when he leaves in 3 years he goes for free, he'll of done his job and 1million is a small price to pay if he helps us survive and maybe push for promotion in years to come...

Agree with most of what you say ,especially the bit about Leon Best.

Trundle if at the top of his game is a class act and an asset to any squad.The only slight concerns are that those video clips i think are mainly 2 seasons ago-(i may be wrong).I think had we signed him for 400-500k which i suggest should be his market value then there would be universal praise,however if (as many have pointed out)he keeps us up then it will be money well spent.If he fails-pressure all round.Interesting clip Of Weale making a right hash of kicking then saving one of trundles long range shots on there.

Seeing the You Tube video of Trundle in action suggests he can not only find the net but has a touch perhaps not seen at the Gate since Jackie D in the early 90's

OK, he isn't proven at Championship level but he will make a difference to our lack lustre forward line.

What concerns me is this. The board have done a complete U-TURN on their declared policy of some years back of never paying big £ for a player whose best years are behind them.

We had a track record of signing players with no resale value : Atteveld, Andersonand Jones, to name just 3.

And this is the problem with Trundle - in three years time [his contract length, assuming he signs] he will be 34; shoot me down if you like particularly if over this period his goals secure Championship status.

I think this is something of a panic buy and I pose this question ..... could we have made more effort to get Leon Best [was it £400k he went to Coventry for?] and in so doing had a player with as many championship appearances as anyone in our current squad and someone who more likely than not could have been sold to a Premiership club at a big profit say two years down the line.

Over to you...

One final thing, with Trundle on board at least we might see a bit of Pussy at the Gate in the months ahead !! [assuming he continues to date the Atomic Kitten singer].

If Trundle helps keep us in the championship then his money is already recouped work it out for yourself.

Leon Bests fee will be decided by a tribunal and he would have been an ideal foil for LT, so I would have liked to see us sign him as well, not instead of.Best was a CCC player who was offered an imporved contract at Soton, so he won't be that cheap and neither will his terms.

What people have to remember is that we are in the CCC and therefore we need quality.Unless we get lucky, I doubt that there are many players around who'll improve our team for under £3/400k.

There aren't many strikers that have moved at sub £1m that I would have wanted more than Trundle.He is the right type of player particularly with SB at Lilleshall more than AG.

Had we signed Sharp or Eastwood as well as LT, I'd be turning cartwheels now because that would have been a complete forward line.As I posted earlier I think that we have good balance in our attack now with a variety of combinations up front and formations possible 4-4-2..... 4-4-1-1..... 3-5-2....4-5-1.....we can play them all.

All that is needed now, providing LT signs, is a quality, pacy strike partner and we may need SL to dig deep once again unless GJ has a mystery Bulgarian or the like, up his sleeve.The time factor doesn't help with 13 days left to sign players before the QPR game and one concern I have is that we will have less time than might have been wanted to settle LT and the others in to our pattern of play & shape before Aug 11th.If we sign that player then I would expect one or two departures of fringe players to help balance the books either on loan or transferred.

GJ must be convinced about the midfield and defence because he hasn't signed a defender or midfielder and we haven't been linked with many, if any, publicly.

Leon Bests fee will be decided by a tribunal and he would have been an ideal foil for LT, so I would have liked to see us sign him as well, not instead of.Best was a CCC player who was offered an imporved contract at Soton, so he won't be that cheap and neither will his terms.

What people have to remember is that we are in the CCC and therefore we need quality.Unless we get lucky, I doubt that there are many players around who'll improve our team for under £3/400k.

There aren't many strikers that have moved at sub £1m that I would have wanted more than Trundle.He is the right type of player particularly with SB at Lilleshall more than AG.

Had we signed Sharp or Eastwood as well as LT, I'd be turning cartwheels now because that would have been a complete forward line.As I posted earlier I think that we have good balance in our attack now with a variety of combinations up front and formations possible 4-4-2..... 4-4-1-1..... 3-5-2....4-5-1.....we can play them all.

All that is needed now, providing LT signs, is a quality, pacy strike partner and we may need SL to dig deep once again unless GJ has a mystery Bulgarian or the like, up his sleeve.The time factor doesn't help with 13 days left to sign players before the QPR game and one concern I have is that we will have less time than might have been wanted to settle LT and the others in to our pattern of play & shape before Aug 11th.If we sign that player then I would expect one or two departures of fringe players to help balance the books either on loan or transferred.

GJ must be convinced about the midfield and defence because he hasn't signed a defender or midfielder and we haven't been linked with many, if any, publicly.

WARNING don't FORGET MR JOHNSON CANT MANAGE BIG PLAYER WATCH THIS SPACE

The fee is a small price to pay as long as he gets the 15-20 goals next season that hopefully keep us up.

If along the way he provides us with some magic moments and wonder goals all the better.

Besides, if the club handle the merchandising side of things in the right way they can probably re-coup some of

the money back. A lower league Beckham if you like.

I very much suspect that Lee has been near if not top of GJ's list for quite some time, as he is a self-proclaimed admirer of the player.

I suspect we have had to torment, torture and apply chinese water torture to persuade Swansea to part with their most prized asset.

Thats why its taken soooooooo long, imo

Archived