IGNORED

Soccerusa

Pickle Rick

Anyone watch it today?

Looks like the latter of soccerAM have gone to Channel5 and made David Beckham's soccerUSA!

Thought it was quite good actually. Also on the show, Tim n' co picked a team to follow in the MLS. Lovejoy picked Kansas City Wizards because they play in Chelsea's colours :rolleyes:

I haven't seen it, but have heard its good.

Can't help but feel that lovejoys kind of sold out here, after all the mocking he did of american soccer, on soccer am, like with boston goals, to go and then present a programme based on the MLS.

But I guess entertainment is entertainment, and no doubt Lovejoy is a very good presenter, and after what I've heard about it, I'll definitely try and watch it sometime

I've followed the American game seriously for years now - heck, I did an academic thesis on 150 years worth of football history in the USA, and I must admit the Beckham media circus is already portraying the MLS in a very patronising light. I could go on a pros and (mostly) cons rant about this but can't be bothered. Needless to say that by employing someone like Tim Lovejoy to present an MLS program just oozes of patronising, contradicting, sell out television. To me anyway.

saw the tail end of it.

even when he is talking about it , it looks like he needs convincing.

some of the american terms for the game are laughable.

lets hope the new soccer am ( or should that be changed to football am )

is new and fresh and away from some of the lovejoys items.

Take it you don't follow/have much interest in the MLS?

I can count the number of games I've watched on TV with my fingers and games I've been to in person with my fist. :)

It's a soap opera with more rules and regulations than ordering through the government and I will likely never take an interest until they make it a proper league which actually interacts with the 4 levels of play below it.

Yeah, apparently the lower divisions have nothing to do with the MLS and thus there is no relegation/promotion to and from the divisions

If they were to ever get that sorted it would be a big bonus for US soccer fans

All the other American sports tend to work that way, so it would be hard for them to sell anything different.

I thought the programme was poor, I'm gutted that he left Soccer AM to do it.

Maybe it'll improve as it goes on......

I think it's a good introduction to the MLS having watched this weels programme however the brushing of the surface, mickey taking attitude has got to disappear in the next few weeks or the novelty factor will be hard to bare especially how many times can you take the mickey out of the same thing over and over again? With that in mind I do wonder whether Tim was the right presenter for this as his reputation is to be a p.i.ss taking git who has a smile on his face whilst he does it.

They branded it Beckham in the USA and the format needs to change so that we get a british format i.e. match of the day with say 10 minutes of Beckham a week or adopt the usa viewing experience (don't know what it looks like) - a bit like NFL on sky gave us NFL the way the americans watch the match and the same approach could work a treat as you not only get the matches but a different approach to a football review show - of course to keep the numbers they are going to have to put 10 minutes of Beckham or the whole idea of covering the MLS will just die - why watch the MLS if there is no unique approach to it (that isnt patronising and tiresome) - we can get to see seria A, La Ligua and of course the premierhip and the leaguefootball as well - for dedicated footballing fans there is more than enough to keep us "football to the limit" on tv as it is and the coverage of the MLS will from my point of view will only succeed if they bring something new to the party - the south east of England humour approach ala Tim Lovejoy and Johnny Vaughan just gets on my nerves and will be a reason in it's self not to watch - so the challenge to Tim is not to fall for the sickophants that is around him and bring us a show that is unique and worthy of watching.

Yea, today I see they mentioned that quite a few Americans watch it and the Kansas City Wizards captain and star player left filmed messages for Lovejoy saying thanks for choosing us to support!

Don't think its that bad myself, ineteresting to see how it goes in the States. LA Galaxy won 6-5 in their last match too :surrender:

Archived