IGNORED

The Summer Break...

SimplyRed

Well I'm back a few days early from my usual summer absence, but it's mainly because I think that developements at the club have been 'interesting' if nothing else.

Ticket Prices: Well, all I can say is that they've made their bed and now they're going to have to lie in it. They've left themselves open for all sorts of criticism if the team falters at the start of the season and we find ourselves in the relegation zone at Christmas.

Takeover bid - Whether true or not, I think it's important to have an open mind about it and not get too emotive about "Lansdown's Legacy". While not a Lansdown 'fan', I feel sure he will do whatever is best for the club (and himself), if ever an offer materialises.

Signings: With, so we're told, at least one more to come, the signings have been moderate in my opinion.

Henderson - Don't know much about this lad. Obviously brought in as cover if Weale fails to secure the back-up spot behind Basso.

Sproule - Came with a decent reputation, a left foot and good pace, but can the Ulsterman cut the mustard at this level? The end product appears suspect. However, looks promising, and at 26, is in his prime.

McIndoe - A much-traveled Scot with several clubs in the past year, again with a good reputation. The spells he's had with clubs at this level didn't last long - one wonders why? Not sure about this one.

Trundle - The biggest enigma. No one doubts his ability and he is a flamboyant and exciting player, but is he right for us? Not what I would call a 'Johnson' player. He must have serious flaws for someone of his undoubted talent to have languished in the lower leagues for so long. We've paid a million pounds for a 30-year-old and given him a 3-year contract and he's never played at this level? Doesn't sound like 'Johnson caution' to me. He'll be nearly 34 by the time his contract's up! A complete surprise to me and not a player I would have selected. Let's hope ol' twinkle toes can do the biz!

Mr X? - Personaly, I'd like to see a big, strong CF because I think Brooker (if he is ever fit again) will be out of his depth.

Pre-season friendlies - Not exactly inspiring stuff so far but, as Johnson says, we need to make sure we are right in 2 weeks. Until then, it's unimportant.

Outlook - With two weeks to go, I'm not convinced we've strengthened sufficiently to avoid the drop. However, if McIndoe and Trundle come good, and Sproule can find some decent crosses to go with his pacy runs, we might surprise a few people (don't hold your breath, though!).

My very best wishes to the club and all who sail in her for the coming season :city:

Well I'm back a few days early from my usual summer absence, but it's mainly because I think that developements at the club have been 'interesting' if nothing else.

Ticket Prices: Well, all I can say is that they've made their bed and now they're going to have to lie in it. They've left themselves open for all sorts of criticism if the team falters at the start of the season and we find ourselves in the relegation zone at Christmas.

Takeover bid - Whether true or not, I think it's important to have an open mind about it and not get too emotive about "Lansdown's Legacy". While not a Lansdown 'fan', I feel sure he will do whatever is best for the club (and himself), if ever an offer materialises.

Signings: With, so we're told, at least one more to come, the signings have been moderate in my opinion.

Henderson - Don't know much about this lad. Obviously brought in as cover if Weale fails to secure the back-up spot behind Basso.

Sproule - Came with a decent reputation, a left foot and good pace, but can the Ulsterman cut the mustard at this level? The end product appears suspect. However, looks promising, and at 26, is in his prime.

McIndoe - A much-traveled Scot with several clubs in the past year, again with a good reputation. The spells he's had with clubs at this level didn't last long - one wonders why? Not sure about this one.

Trundle - The biggest enigma. No one doubts his ability and he is a flamboyant and exciting player, but is he right for us? Not what I would call a 'Johnson' player. He must have serious flaws for someone of his undoubted talent to have languished in the lower leagues for so long. We've paid a million pounds for a 30-year-old and given him a 3-year contract and he's never played at this level? Doesn't sound like 'Johnson caution' to me. He'll be nearly 34 by the time his contract's up! A complete surprise to me and not a player I would have selected. Let's hope ol' twinkle toes can do the biz!

Mr X? - Personaly, I'd like to see a big, strong CF because I think Brooker (if he is ever fit again) will be out of his depth.

Pre-season friendlies - Not exactly inspiring stuff so far but, as Johnson says, we need to make sure we are right in 2 weeks. Until then, it's unimportant.

Outlook - With two weeks to go, I'm not convinced we've strengthened sufficiently to avoid the drop. However, if McIndoe and Trundle come good, and Sproule can find some decent crosses to go with his pacy runs, we might surprise a few people (don't hold your breath, though!).

My very best wishes to the club and all who sail in her for the coming season :city:

Interesting post, out of interest who would you have selected ahead of Trundle? I also wouldn't have anticipated us signing him had you told me we would in May, but I'm glad we have, the price may be a little extortianate but I'm now convinced on what I've seen of him and have heard of his performance today that he'll come good for us.

McIndoe I was also happy with, I would argue that although he has been through several clubs in the past 12-18 months, he has worked with Johnson before, and what I saw of him last season I was impressed by, so I think he'll do alright too. Sproule I haven't seen much of, I'm looking forward to seeing our two new wingers link up with Trundle, and although in your opinion our signings may not have been ideal and what you would have hoped for, I think that on top of what we have we should be ok next season. My only concern is the injury list we have before the season has even started, let's hope we're all fit and ready to go by August 11th. :city:

Off the pitch with regards to tickets, I think one more signing is required to convince people that the increase was at all justified, because at the moment for some I'm sure it does not. I'm not going to go into this subject in anymore detail, besides its not too bad for me as I'm under 16. I don't believe that there is any substance behind the take-over rumours, from what I gathered what the agent said was taken out of context, and that he isn't the better kind of agent. Although it'd be interesting and potentially very good for the club if I were to be proved wrong, I don't think its likely.

Ok then simplyRed, who would you have liked us to have signed that we could have realistically got?

I was delighted with the signings of LT and McIndoe, both should we excellent players at this level.

Trundles scored goals every season hes been in proffesional football, and McIndoe was easily one of wolves best players when they had that excellent run to the playoffs at the end of last season, illustrated by their fans annoyance that they let him go. I don't understand why some people are so damn pessimistic!

Up the City!

Archived