IGNORED

Trundle, Sproule + Mcindoe Justify Ticket Price Rise?

Martyn Hocking

Back in May and June when the only topic people on here wanted to discuss was the ticket price rise, I said that I would be happier paying £30 to sit in the Dolman and watch us play the likes of QPR and West Brom than pay £20 to watch dross like Bradford City and Port Vale. (I pay on the day because I live in Kent and can't afford the petrol (£40 a game!) to come to every home match).

Many people disagreed with that view so I am interested to hear what people think now that they have seen where their money has been spent. Personally I feel that Trundle, Sproule, McIndoe and the cream of last season's side will give me at least 30% more entertainment than I got on most visits to AG last term.

I don't want to rehash the arguments about how many more tickets we might have sold had the price rise been smaller or the fact that same people cannot afford STs this time (sad though that is). I simply want to get a view from other forum members on the following question:

Do you feel that our new £2m forward line justifies the extra money you will be paying for your footie at AG in 2007-08?

Well_red

Taking into account of the appeal of playing for Bristol City, players wage demand and the transfer fee we have got the best players we could have done IMO.

Whether the players justify the amount of money spent on them, only time will tell.

It's a good question, but, hard for me to answer as I paid the money for me and the kids in spite of what may have been on the transfer front.

That said, i'm certainly looking forward to seeing our new additions and more confident that we may shock a few this season.

So, the price rise has to be worth it from that perspective as we needed these players IMO.

Have we actually spent any money from the price rise. Think we have received £900k from premier league and extra money from tv deal being in higher division not sure maybe extra 400k. 9200 season tickets x100 average rise = 920k so reckon we have spent not even half of that price rise so far so hopefully someone else may arrive with the excess money.

Do you feel that our new £2m forward line justifies the extra money you will be paying for your footie at AG in 2007-08?

Not really, because I firmly believe that had the price hike been a little lower we'd have sold more tickets thus generating a similar revenue.

I'll feel the price rise was justified if our average home attendance next season is significantly higher than last - as it should be because we got promoted.

My view was always that the club should have focussed on filling the ground first and maximising revenue per seat later. As it is, even with the signings, I will be surprised if we average more than 14k at home which to my mind taking into account increased away support would be very poor.

Personally I feel the money spent by the club is more than I expected and has more than helped to soften the blow of the price hikes, it was always going to go up once we reached the championship however I didn't expect us to spend to much cash, therefore I feel the price hike has been backed up by the board's ambition with the players they have brought to the club which has been

Sproule - an pacy exciting winger from scotland

McIndoe - proven championship standard left winger

Trundle - one of the best forwards from the lower leagues and a very good alround player

Personally I vowed to hold back from abusing the people that made the decision to raise the prices so highly and allow them to follow through with what they said in May about giving GJ a warchest to compete. I can now feel relaxed in the knowledge that they have followed through with there statement and look forward to the new season without hostility. I also believe that we haven't finished with bringing in players.

Bring on August 11th

With the posh seat expansion and the treatment of fans re E.E and other things badge,shirt etc, there are some niggling things this club does which upsets fans; all are money based;

In its climb up the league/cash ladder it would do well to remember its roots; us the fans :yes:

It has softened the blow for those of us that can afford it.

Those who can't, I guess, will feel even more let down at not being able to see the new players and their teamates having previously been able to view what may be seen as lesser players in League One and, however you look at it, that's a crying shame.

Without wishing to appear negative, I'd like to make the VFM judgement at three stages perhaps 3 months (Oct) 6 months (Jan) and then in May.

I think & hope that Trundle, McIndoe & Sproule will do well, but only one is in any way proven at CCC level.Sproule's ban will do him no favours in that respect because no matter how fit he is, that four game ban must effect his match fitness.As always, I'll withold my judgement on all of them, plus any others we sign by Aug 11th until I've seen them in League action home and away.

Don't take that the wrong way.On what I've seen of Trundle & McIndoe they'll do us proud and the Hibs fans comments regarding IS were spot on.The fans views are, without doubt, the best indicator.We're back in the position of buying players that clubs really want to keep and that's not always been the case in recent times.

It's difficult to talk about VFM with IS & MM because we don't know how much they cost.Estimates in reports vary, but most seem to start at about £250k and go up to £500k.I reckon both players will be around £200/250k in instalments so that is our commited spend, plus clauses based on promotion, sell on etc, etc which are self funding.We know LT will be £1m in instalments and I would assume Swansea have a sell on and others clauses, once again, self funding.

TV Money & Premier League "Gift" is around £2m in total so that would appear to cover our summer signings before ST Sales are even taken into account.Of course, wages are also a major consideration and a lot, if not all of the ST sales will go to pay what SL estimated to be a wage increase of 100%.

As for ST Sales, my position hasn't changed and, unless we really splash some heavy cash in the next week or so, it won't. I'm in the camp that says 15/20% would have been far more palatable, affordable and would have generated bigger gates and greater revenue.

I've seen a report that said ST Sales would go up by 2/3,000 on the back of signing LT-If it does I'll drop my shorts in Tescos-Be nice to see mind you......The sales not my.......... :blush:

Our average gate was 12,800 last season and with increases in away fans (Up by 1,000/1,500 per game average) we should be averaging around 15/16,000 this season.I predict that, unless we have an exceptional season, we won't hit that, even though ST Sales have risen by 21% based on 9,200 sold because POD will drop by about 30/40%.Those additional ST sales haven't dropped down from the sky.

A bit like assesing the players, ask me again in Oct!

My view was always that the club should have focussed on filling the ground first and maximising revenue per seat later. As it is, even with the signings, I will be surprised if we average more than 14k at home which to my mind taking into account increased away support would be very poor.

On that subject, if The Gates went up in line with ST Sales, our gates would be 15,488.

Not really, because I firmly believe that had the price hike been a little lower we'd have sold more tickets thus generating a similar revenue.

I'll feel the price rise was justified if our average home attendance next season is significantly higher than last - as it should be because we got promoted.

yeah, but the chairman runs hargreaves lansdown, and they're one of the best performing financial services companies in the country.and they just floated for nearly half a billion. think thats worth more than your feelings, to be honest.

chairman knows more about money that you, nibor, and price hikes would have been aimed and generating maxium possible revenue for next season. you still want to argue? why not look at season ticket prices and average attendances last time we went up (when we had signed players even more exciting that lee trundle!)

Absolutely not.

There was no need for such a rise. A smaller increase would have resulted in a hell of a lot more ST being sold.

Bad business decision - I don't care how successful SL is in HIS business, he got it wrong in THIS business.

No ST here, I'll pick and choose my home games, and up my usual 12 or so away games to give support to the team - which it's all about.

what numbers are you using to justify that statement?

yeah, but the chairman runs hargreaves lansdown, and they're one of the best performing financial services companies in the country.and they just floated for nearly half a billion. think thats worth more than your feelings, to be honest.

chairman knows more about money that you, nibor, and price hikes would have been aimed and generating maxium possible revenue for next season. you still want to argue? why not look at season ticket prices and average attendances last time we went up (when we had signed players even more exciting that lee trundle!)

What exactly is your point? You've not really made one as far as I can tell other than "SL knows best", and I can't really see much reasoning behind that.

Steve Lansdown runs a very successful financial services business. I'm well aware of that, they're looking after quite a bit of money for me and I've done work for them in the past. What does that have to do with anything? I'm not advising him how to sell pensions or manage a compliance department.

I'm offering an opinion on what's better for a football club. I'm well aware of what happened to our ticket prices and attendances last time we went up, I'm also aware of what happened to them when we got relegated. I know what motivates me and many of my family and friends when deciding to buy tickets. I daresay I have a much keener appreciation of what a run of the mill fan thinks than SL or his CEO does, as do many people who post on here.

I would have thought that anyone who saw how massively our attendances dropped last time we got relegated would understand the massive risk involved in 30-40% price hikes that price out longer term supporters in favour of newer more affluent ones who only want to watch Championship football. Maximising revenue will only be a valid argument if there aren't empty seats. Otherwise the fact is that cheaper prices could have filled those empty seats and made more money. You think we'll sell out much? What do you think the risk mitigation is for the 4,000+ season ticket holders that WILL walk away if we get relegated just like they did last time?

What exactly is your point? You've not really made one as far as I can tell other than "SL knows best", and I can't really see much reasoning behind that.

Steve Lansdown runs a very successful financial services business. I'm well aware of that, they're looking after quite a bit of money for me and I've done work for them in the past. What does that have to do with anything? I'm not advising him how to sell pensions or manage a compliance department.

I'm offering an opinion on what's better for a football club. I'm well aware of what happened to our ticket prices and attendances last time we went up, I'm also aware of what happened to them when we got relegated. I know what motivates me and many of my family and friends when deciding to buy tickets. I daresay I have a much keener appreciation of what a run of the mill fan thinks than SL or his CEO does, as do many people who post on here.

I would have thought that anyone who saw how massively our attendances dropped last time we got relegated would understand the massive risk involved in 30-40% price hikes that price out longer term supporters in favour of newer more affluent ones who only want to watch Championship football. Maximising revenue will only be a valid argument if there aren't empty seats. Otherwise the fact is that cheaper prices could have filled those empty seats and made more money. You think we'll sell out much? What do you think the risk mitigation is for the 4,000+ season ticket holders that WILL walk away if we get relegated just like they did last time?

ok - i'll make my point more clear: your view is based on gut feel - SL/CS's pricing would have been based on season ticket and gate revenue data for at least the past 10 years; don't think anyone who runs a company like H&L would pull this stuff out their arse. I believe our pricing will generate more revenue than dropping prices, which is what you seem to be suggesting. don't any data out there that suggests otherwise.

When we last went up, prices increases were minor, yet average attendances and season tickets didnt dramatically change based on previous season. Also, when in the past we've tried different pricing strategies on match days (quid a kid, didnt we also charge a tenner for a blackpool game a while back?) it doesnt make much difference.

definately yes given the way the market is at present. trundle is class IMO and i never thought we could get a player like that TBH. same goes for mcindoe. sproule i havent seen enough of so its hard to comment. but then taking it on a bit further, its easy for me to say because i can afford the season ticket. its a shame that others cant, but then what do the club do??? if you don't pay the going rate you get left behind. its very sad that the game is going that way and more and more fans are being priced out. how long will it be before few people from the hot beds of city support i.e. hartcliffe, knowle west etc cant afford to go to the games and are replaced by more wealthy professionsals relocatig to bristol and living in clifton and such alike?? if we ever got to the prem the prices would go up even more and those people would pay them to go and watch city where others who really deserve to see it wont be able to. its highly unlikely CS would care.

Archived