IGNORED

We Have To Play 4-5-1 This Season

tinman-is-god

Apologies if this has already been said, not been on for a while, but i think that our best option for success this season is a 4-5-1 system.

If i was GJ, i would line our side up like this:-

Basso

Orr......McCombe......Carey.......McAllister

Skuse

Johnson.......Noble

Sproule...............................McIndoe

Trundle

This formation allows us to play Johnson and Noble together, which is essential as both of these players were massive in winning us promotion last season as both of them, especially Noble, performed very well together when we played 4-5-1. I think that, to be brutually honest, our strikers are not good enough for us to play a 4-4-2. Enoch is a great player to have as an option, due to his physical presence and pace, but for my money at least, i do not think he has the ability to play week in week out for a Championship team. However, if we are struggling and need more up front, we can simply replace one of the 3 central midfielders and revert to a 4-4-2.

I also think that this formation will allow Sproule and McIndoe to be able to express themselves which will only benefit the side. With McIndoe's passing and Sproule's pace, they are going to be two of our most important offensive performers this season, so I believe that we should create a system which gives them the best possible oppurtunity to show us the talent they.

This formation can only work if you have a striker who is good with his back to goal and also someone who will not give the ball away much- and both of these traits are down well by Lee Trundle. In the times that i have seen him play, he rarely seems to give it away. As Noble, Sproule and McIndoe should all be pressing forward as often as possible, Trundle's ability with the ball will give us plenty of options going forward.

I also believe that this system plays to our defensive strength which was shown last season. If we keep clean sheets we will stay up. By having this system, it allows us to deploy a 4-5-1 whilst defending and will also give us a bit more presence in midfield, imperative against the more physical sides.

My only worry with this formation is that Skuse may lack the physical presence to be able to play the anchorman role in some of the more 'competitive' games. Ideally i would like us to sign a tough-tackling midfielder willing to put his foot in when needed, and if we acquired a player like that then this would perfectly compliment the 4-5-1 system.

Thoughts?

• Admin
Apologies if this has already been said, not been on for a while, but i think that our best option for success this season is a 4-5-1 system.

Basso

Skuse

Johnson.......Noble

Sproule...............................McIndoe

Trundle

This formation allows us to play Johnson and Noble together, which is essential as both of these players were massive in winning us promotion last season as both of them, especially Noble, performed very well together when we played 4-5-1. I think that, to be brutually honest, our strikers are not good enough for us to play a 4-4-2. Enoch is a great player to have as an option, due to his physical presence and pace, but for my money at least, i do not think he has the ability to play week in week out for a Championship team. However, if we are struggling and need more up front, we can simply replace one of the 3 central midfielders and revert to a 4-4-2.

I also think that this formation will allow Sproule and McIndoe to be able to express themselves which will only benefit the side. With McIndoe's passing and Sproule's pace, they are going to be two of our most important offensive performers this season, so I believe that we should create a system which gives them the best possible oppurtunity to show us the talent they.

This formation can only work if you have a striker who is good with his back to goal and also someone who will not give the ball away much- and both of these traits are down well by Lee Trundle. In the times that i have seen him play, he rarely seems to give it away. As Noble, Sproule and McIndoe should all be pressing forward as often as possible, Trundle's ability with the ball will give us plenty of options going forward.

I also believe that this system plays to our defensive strength which was shown last season. If we keep clean sheets we will stay up. By having this system, it allows us to deploy a 4-5-1 whilst defending and will also give us a bit more presence in midfield, imperative against the more physical sides.

My only worry with this formation is that Skuse may lack the physical presence to be able to play the anchorman role in some of the more 'competitive' games. Ideally i would like us to sign a tough-tackling midfielder willing to put his foot in when needed, and if we acquired a player like that then this would perfectly compliment the 4-5-1 system.

Thoughts?

Over the season I expect to see Wilson (Brian) make the RB spot his own as he's one of the quickest in our squad and that pace down the right hand side will be very useful in both a defensive & offensive angle.

Just think of those old Tinman / random leftback crossovers from yesteryear only done with far more pace when Sproule and Wilson combine.

Basso

Skuse

Johnson.......Noble

Sproule.....McIndoe

Trundle

Thoughts?

The only thing I would do is replace Orr with Wilson. The team that is out then is very good and one which could surprise a few teams.

I think the 451 is the obvious way to go this season, perhaps making up for the percieved weakness in midfield, and having to play makers in Noble and Johnson pulling the strings could well pay dividends.

451 does dound negative, but it is a virtual 433 when pushing forward, although perhaps having 2 upfront would see a better return for the number of crosses our pacey wide players will provide?

Guest ashtonyate

Basso

Skuse

Johnson.......Noble

Sproule.....McIndoe

Trundle

Thoughts?

Can you you see Trundle playing that roll never in this world running, all over the place trying to win the ball. I don't think it his game and that's the problem who will win the ball up field

Can you you see Trundle playing that roll never in this world running, all over the place trying to win the ball. I don't think it his game and that's the problem who will win the ball up field

Perhaps not in the way it's laid out here, but I can see him lying deeper, much as he did on Saturday and laying the ball for the pacier players to get beyond him. I have a feeling that he and Noble will play well together, think about the goals that Noble scored against Middlesborough and Rotherham, I can see him getting more of thouse kind of opportunities with Trundle supplying the passes.

Guest ashtonyate
Perhaps not in the way it's laid out here, but I can see him lying deeper, much as he did on Saturday and laying the ball for the pacier players to get beyond him. I have a feeling that he and Noble will play well together, think about the goals that Noble scored against Middlesborough and Rotherham, I can see him getting more of thouse kind of opportunities with Trundle supplying the passes.

So you are saying he will play midfield along side Nobel can't see that, That's been my point signing Trundle we still have not yet got a pacier target man which will be invaluable in away matches.

Can you tell me we will play Trundle upfront on his own in away games

We need someone who is going to play on the other team back line and win header,

which no one in the team can do except Brooker if he can't get fit we have had it.

Sorry another negative response from Ashtonyate

So you are saying he will play midfield along side Nobel can't see that, That's been my point signing Trundle we still have not yet got a pacier target man which will be invaluable in away matches.

We need someone who is going to play on the other team back line and win header,

which no one in the team can do except Brooker if he can't get fit we have had it.

No it's a sensible post from Ashtonyate for a change! I agree, Trundle isn't a guy i fancy as the lone target man. He isn't quick enough for that. I however think Enoch will come good again this year and be the person up front who brings others into play and wins headers.

Trundles signing scream we're playing 4-4-2 this year, and i thinkj Trundle and Showunmi will be good enough.

Guest ashtonyate
No it's a sensible post from Ashtonyate for a change! I agree, Trundle isn't a guy i fancy as the lone target man. He isn't quick enough for that. I however think Enoch will come good again this year and be the person up front who brings others into play and wins headers.

Trundles signing scream we're playing 4-4-2 this year, and i thinkj Trundle and Showunmi will be good enough.

Yes that's what I think at home If Showunmi could play in the target man roll but he is to easly distracted and want to play wide to much for my liking and for a big man he is to easlly beaten in the air. I still think we need a target man to make it work and a must for away games

No he wont be playing in midfield. I suppose it's quite an old fashioned position these days but on Saturday he played like a "deep lying centre forward" someone who comes more central and lays the ball of to bring players into the game. I said in another thread that I think having Trundle will "shorten" our game, all those who bemoan the long ball pumped upfield looking for the flick on will appreciate this I am sure. I don't think it's necessary to have someone on the back line winning headers all the time, as a change of tactic maybe, but not all the time. Trundle has the ability to hold the ball and bring others into play.

I don't know if this will be our preferred game, but it becomes an option and the more options you have the better.

If we're playing one up top, that player won't need pace.

He will need to be able to hold the ball up, move into the right areas and play others in and all of our bigger strikers can do that, Trundle included.Trundles ball control, inc first touch is vastly better than SB & ES and he's no worse than either of them in the air.He's a better all round footballer with greater passing skills as well.

The issue for me is that with six strikers-how do you keep them happy if only one-the same one, can play every week?

He will need to be able to hold the ball up, move into the right areas and play others in and all of our bigger strikers can do that, Trundle included.Trundles ball control, inc first touch is vastly better than SB & ES and he's no worse than either of them in the air.He's a better all round footballer with greater passing skills as well.

The issue for me is that with six strikers-how do you keep them happy if only one-the same one, can play every week?

I disagree, the way we play we seem to like to put it down the channels. You do need a bit of pace for that.

And yes that's another problem, there's no way we can keep the strikers we have happy with 4-5-1. Especially if Trundle is automatic choice for that role every week which he would be.

Guest ashtonyate
I disagree, the way we play we seem to like to put it down the channels. You do need a bit of pace for that.

And yes that's another problem, there's no way we can keep the strikers we have happy with 4-5-1. Especially if Trundle is automatic choice for that role every week which he would be.

Most of the forward players have been here less than two years now are we getting rid of them perhaps we should brought in better players in the first place

Most of the forward players have been here less than two years now are we getting rid of them perhaps we should brought in better players in the first place

Maybe when you step up a division you need better players and maybe when you're a division lower you can't attract them. Perhaps.

Guest ashtonyate
Maybe when you step up a division you need better players and maybe when you're a division lower you can't attract them. Perhaps.

As with trundle all thing have a price I think it more about ambition, if we are going to unload these play because with think they are not good enough we may have to buy out there contract because they will be on Championship money now so that's not cheap to do either.

I totally agree, i feel that with Trundle's touch and excellent ball retention, he could do a job up front on his own very well. As we saw from Noble last season, he could easily break forward and play just behind the striker at times, especially with the back up in midfield of Johnson and Skuse.

In relation to the statement that we have 6 strikers and this formation would only allow one of them to play- i don't think our strikers are good enough to play in the Championship.

I think Enoch could play in this 4-5-1/ 4-3-3 in either the left sided midfield/forward role or the striker role, but i would mainly use him from the bench.

Jevons just isn't good enough to hold down a regular place, he only got 11 league goals last season in about 38 starts (i think) which wasn't a good enough return. This system could also suit JMW in the left sided role, and give him a bit more freedom, as i see him as more effective as a winger than a forward anyway. I can't see Brooker having the fitness to maintain a good enough standard of performance. Last season he got just 3 goals and in all honesty didn't play that well, and was missing a fair few sitters at the end of the season. His confidence and touch dropped off massively and i do worry about him this season. Plummer is always an option, but can't really see him starting and to be perfectly honest the only striker who i think we have who is good enough to play week in week out and be continually effective is Trundle.

With the signing of Elliot today, he gives us another option in midfield and could easily fit into this system. I agree with posters that comment that it would help if LT was quicker but i think with Noble and Sproule pressing forward as much as possible, LT's ability to hold up the ball will allow him to drop deeper and lay it off to others, as well as giving us a legitimiate 'out' ball- LT will hold it up 9/10 unlike any of our other centre forwards.

We won't play 4-5-1 with Trundle being a lone striker. It isn't going to happen. A lone striker when we now have so many really makes no sense at all. That will really improve team morale at the start of the season won't it? NO! So it's either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3

QPR line up as follows:

Basso

Orr Carey McCombe McCallister

Murray Johnson Russell McIndoe

Showumni/Jevons Trundle

****il Brooker returns)

I believe Skuse will go and therefore, will not be an option

Murray, Russel and Jevons/Enoch in the starting X1? That would worry me. Face it...our strikers aren't good enough, and as i have said, Enoch and JMW can play as wingers/forwards anyway so will get plenty of games. Jevons isn't good enough and Brooker is always injured. I also believe that Johnson will need far more protection in the middle of the park this season. I like him a lot and i think he should start BUT i think it is essential that we have at least someone behind him to be able to make up for the fact that he does give the ball away fairly often, but if we can give him a bit of support, this shouldn't be too much of an issue but if we leave him exposed in the middle, i can see many sides cutting right through our extremely light midfield - if it was Russel and Johnson that is.

Not 4-5-1. 4-3-3. It's the way forward - Italy in the World Cup, Man Utd last season, Chelsea before Abramovich went nuts, Bristol City this season.

Midfield of;

2 from Elliot / Artus / Skuse / Russell / Keogh (Holding / Passing / Tackling)

1 from Johnson / Noble / Murray? (Passing / Shooting)

2 wingers / strikers (Enoch / Murray / JMW / Sproule / McIndoe / Jevons / Plummer)

1 striker (Brooker / Jevons / Trundle)

I reckon that's what GJ's planning. The crucial difference being the two holding players. Trust me, it'll work.

Archived