IGNORED

Never Mind Skuse To Reading

Redhyde

It is a fact that last season our results were better with Skuse out of the team, than they were with Skuse in the team.

Some of the reasons I can come up with are that he probably makes about 3 positive contributions a game towards attacking play, and that is on a good day. Even as a defensive player, in the middle of the park you have got to get more stuck in. He isn't physically strong, he is weak and to compensate makes a few lunges because he has not got the strength to muscle players off the ball ala Makelele. He also is a headless chicken with no real positional sense. He doesn't close players when he should, chases headlessly when he shouldn't. You still see him givin the ball away cheaply and then pulling his socks up whilst watching the opposition run away with the ball.

He has improved since he first got into the side. But I think he has just about improved to the level of geting away without looking completely dire. He pulls the odd clever pass off, then goes missing for ages.

It is a fact that last season our results were better with Skuse out of the team, than they were with Skuse in the team.

Some of the reasons I can come up with are that he probably makes about 3 positive contributions a game towards attacking play, and that is on a good day. Even as a defensive player, in the middle of the park you have got to get more stuck in. He isn't physically strong, he is weak and to compensate makes a few lunges because he has not got the strength to muscle players off the ball ala Makelele. He also is a headless chicken with no real positional sense. He doesn't close players when he should, chases headlessly when he shouldn't. You still see him givin the ball away cheaply and then pulling his socks up whilst watching the opposition run away with the ball.

He has improved since he first got into the side. But I think he has just about improved to the level of geting away without looking completely dire. He pulls the odd clever pass off, then goes missing for ages.

that post is funny to read, you are either 12 years old or just aan idiot without a clue! headless chicken???? his positional sense is immense, does a lot for the team, doesnt get chances to get goals from corners cause he is the one back every time, covering like always, he doesnt go missin, he does lots of work off the ball that clueless people don't see or understand.

there was also prem interest when he first signed 2 years ago from charlton and totenham, thats a fact and the reading story was not bollox, no offer was made but the manager is a big fan! absolute FACT!

and he is the quickest player at the club! FACT!

that post is funny to read, you are either 12 years old or just aan idiot without a clue! headless chicken???? his positional sense is immense, does a lot for the team, doesnt get chances to get goals from corners cause he is the one back every time, covering like always, he doesnt go missin, he does lots of work off the ball that clueless people don't see or understand.

there was also prem interest when he first signed 2 years ago from charlton and totenham, thats a fact and the reading story was not bollox, no offer was made but the manager is a big fan! absolute FACT!

I'm not one to slate a player, just stating IMO what i see week in week out.

You make him out to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Yes he has his attributes but these are far out weighed by his weakness's, I for one hope the lad has a fantastic season, I know he has it in him to be a great player, but not at this moment in time!

Prove me wrong CS..

This taking into account the time during games that Skuse is on the pitch... as it shows performances are worse with Skusey on the pitch.

Total With Skuse

P W D L F A Pts

51 21 17 13 49 35 80 1.57 72

Total Without Skuse

P W D L F A Pts

33 14 15 4 33 19 57 1.73 79

Lge With Skuse

P W D L F A Pts

41 17 12 12 40 31 63 1.54 71

Lge Without Skuse

P W D L F A Pts

23 11 11 1 22 9 44 1.91 88

As for teams having interest in him, that counts for nothing. There are countless players that havent made it, but have had massive interest from bigger clubs than Charlton and Reading. Weren't Spurs supposed to be interested in Marvin Brown once, remind me where he is now??

I don't disagree that he sits back and covers, but that is pretty easy to do, seriously if you asked anybody to sit back they could. The fact is that he doesn't get stuck in at all, gets pulled in all sorts of directions and I honestly cannot remember him winning a tackle when facing head on to a player. He is not strong enough. If you want to see a good tackling midfielder look at the likes of Makelele, Keane, even Tommy Doc; how they win most of their tackles are by strength to win the ball in 50:50 situations, that seem to fall in their favour more often than not. Skuse seems to win the majority of his tsckles on the floor, sliding to catch up with the players.

And he will never become a goal scoring midfielder ever because he lacks any sort of conviction in front of goal. He does not have the technique to actually put a shot on goal. There is not a lot of potential for him to improve as an attacking midfielder. Doesn't ever look likely to pass and move. Defensively I think he is flawed as well.

There is a long way for skuse to go before he is championship standard in my opinion.

its like were talking about a different player! all the things you say he doesnt do well, are what he does do well, and he never has to slide to catch people up, he is the quickest at the club (ill say it again)

he is simply a player we need to be playing, obviously gary johnson thinks so to, everytime he was fully fit, he would start!he will never become a goalscoring midfielder because its not his job, why would he want to?

anyway we will have to wait and just watch him prove you wrong!!!

its like were talking about a different player! all the things you say he doesnt do well, are what he does do well, and he never has to slide to catch people up, he is the quickest at the club (ill say it again)

he is simply a player we need to be playing, obviously gary johnson thinks so to, everytime he was fully fit, he would start!he will never become a goalscoring midfielder because its not his job, why would he want to?

I have seen Cole jogging around Bradley Stoke in recent weeks. Is he your next door neighbour or something? You seem very keen to defend his reputation!

Quickest rah rah rah.

Lucky he is so quick because he is caught out of position so often. Sits back and does not a lot, including tackling. Doesn't even look to take the ball from the defenders. Seriously just watch him for about 10 minutes of a game, he will shy away from receiving the ball every time, despite the fact that he should be making himself available or looking to take the ball on.

If he was to develop as a player, forward play would be something he should look to be improving upon, but he has none of the attributes to do so. That was my point. Roy Keane was a fast and fit midfield player who got from box to box and scored goals. Skuse has the fitness and speed to become that sort of player, just not the ability.

I cannot remember a single game where Skuse has taken it by the scruff of the neck, and playing in the centre of midfield he should be able to do that.

There is no doubting his ability at all, but his application of it is lacking. He doesn't seem to realise how much talent he has, and unless he really digs in and shows what he can do, he'll be sidelined and be a squad player.

Isn't that sort of inconsistency fairly endemic to young players in key central positions? Centre halves do the same, they're hit and miss until they have a few solid seasons under the belt by and large. Look how long it took even Steven Gerrard to play to his potential most weeks. I can't think of a central midfielder or defender who was decently consistent before about 24-25 to be honest.

I saw what he could become in the game at Oldham, if he could play like that every week, we'd be lucky to keep him here.

I wasn't at Oldham but he did seem to hit a purple patch around then, I remember saying to a mate of mine at one of the home games shortly afterwards something along the lines of "**** me that's the third time I've seen Skuse in the box, what's going on?". It did seem to fade a bit after a few games though.

I wasn't at Oldham but he did seem to hit a purple patch around then, I remember saying to a mate of mine at one of the home games shortly afterwards something along the lines of "**** me that's the third time I've seen Skuse in the box, what's going on?". It did seem to fade a bit after a few games though.

I wonder if GJ were to ask SL for one more major signing (A striker, say for £1m+) if SL would tell GJ to fund it by selling Skuse?

Skuse showed what he was capable of at Oldham and, having seen a great deal of him since he first came into the side as a centre back, that was his best ever performance in what I still feel was our best 90 minute team performance of last season, home or away.

I think if we got a bid of £2.8m for Skuse he'd be gone about 8 seconds afterwards. I doubt SL would force the sale if the manager objected but the truth is we can buy 3 quality players who are already proven at this level for that money and I am sure GJ would recognise that as a good deal.

I don't think he does a lot personally. Hardly wins any tackles and ive never seen him boss the midfield at league one level let alone championship! He is good on the ball and doesnt give it away to often but he doesnt really provide or score any goals. Think he will develop into a fairly good player, a carrick type of player but don't think hes ready for championship football.

What a shame, would be nice to have such a bid if he really wasn't needed as much as some people seem to think he's not needed :)

It doesn't matter whether he's needed or not, every player has a price and I'm sure we'd sell any of ours for an offer like that. Frankly I'm happy to keep Skuse because I think he will progress this season at a higher level and eventually be good enough to turn that sort of offer down.

Archived