IGNORED

Defense

Pickle Rick

If its true that we are signing a striker this week, that may be be the final signing.

We havn't signed any defenders, though I have a feeling we may opt for a left back at some point for cover, hence the Giminez (spelling?) trial. We also have 3 keepers'

Basso

Weale

Henderson

So its got me wandering, what would be your back five in defense?

Personally, I'd go

Weale (GK)

Brian Wilson (RB)

McCombe (CB)

Carey (CB)

McAllister (LB)

I perfer Wilson to Orr. No disrespect to Orr, he is a good player and shows passion, however, I think his lack of pace will mean he may get taken on quite easily by the opposition.

Wilson gets the nod ahead for me as he's very athletic and can get up and down the flanks well and link up play. Also can put in a tackle.

I have also picked Weale in goal as again, personally I feel Weale is 'safer' in goal and less likely to do something stupid. Again, Basso is a good goalie, but I prefer Weale.

I'd agree with that with the exception of Weale in goal... Granted he may be a safer option (although I don't think we've seen enough of him to make that judgement) but Basso was a major part of our promotion last year (on and off the pitch IMO) and the defense 'seem' more settled with him in goal...

If M. Elliot is any good then I think the below will do well next year (in order of preference)

GK - Basso/Weale/Henderson

RB - B.Wilson/Orr/J.Wilson

CB - Carey/Keogh

CB - McCombe/Ribiero

LB - McCalister/Fontaine

We might look a bit short of cover for long term injury at centre back but obviously Fontaine & even Skuse can cover there too... Time will tell but personally not worried about the defense... If Louis get's a long term injury then that would be a different story!

Archived