IGNORED

The Last Time We Were In The 2nd Tier

swampy

There does seem to be a good deal of excitement about the 'huge' sums of money City have spent on Trundle et al. But 8 years ago, following promotion, well read this:

"Focus on the opposition: Bristol City

From the Telegraph & Argus, first published Friday 19th Mar 1999.

It's been tough going all the way for Bristol City following their promotion from the Second Division at the end of last season and they face a desperate battle against relegation in the last six weeks of the season.

While fellow promoted clubs, Watford and Grimsby have been in play-off contention all season, the Robins have struggled in or around the relegation zone despite spending £3,760,000 since the end of last season."

£3.76m back then would be worth goodness knows what now. What I am really keen to know is who this vast sum of money was spent on ... Adi Akinbyi accounted for £1.2m - puts the expenditure on LT into perspective - but the rest? Was it that bunch of Johnny Foreigners (oops - sorry!)

There does seem to be a good deal of excitement about the 'huge' sums of money City have spent on Trundle et al. But 8 years ago, following promotion, well read this:

It's been tough going all the way for Bristol City following their promotion from the Second Division at the end of last season and they face a desperate battle against relegation in the last six weeks of the season.

While fellow promoted clubs, Watford and Grimsby have been in play-off contention all season, the Robins have struggled in or around the relegation zone despite spending £3,760,000 since the end of last season."

£3.76m back then would be worth goodness knows what now. What I am really keen to know is who this vast sum of money was spent on ... Adi Akinbyi accounted for £1.2m - puts the expenditure on LT into perspective - but the rest? Was it that bunch of Johnny Foreigners (oops - sorry!)

Tony Thorpe and Soren Anderson account for most of the rest

Thorpe £1m

Akinbiyi £1.3m

Anderson £400k

There's £2.7m

Then Anderson (GK) Sebok, Tistementanu, Dyche, Marshall

Then we got relegated and bought Jones £400k, Holland £200k, Mortimer (Free but big wages) Mercer £200k-Another manager bought Peacock £600k, Wilkshire £250k (and £4kpw) Goodfellow £100k, Beadle £150k & Lee Miller £325k and we let most of them go & Thorpe for sweet FA.

All bought by "shrewd businessmen" on the advice of "acknowledged experts" in The Managers we employed.

CV like those guys in any other industry and you'd never get a job again :disapointed2se:

Dyche was already here from the season previous. Dunno who Marshall is.

We brought in:

Akinbiyi £1.2m

Andersen £425k

Thorpe £1m

Hutchings £150k

Stowell and Phillips (nominal)

Then in December:

Sebok £400k

Testemitanu £250k

Bo Anderson £190k

Wright (nominal)

Worth bearing in mind we also sold £1.2m worth of players in Barnard, Goater and Seal in the few months before the season and lost Agostino on a free too.

In case anyone is interested £3.76 million in 1999 would be worth somewhere between £4.4 and £5.1 now depending on which calculation you use.

It is a slow night at work!

In 97/98 Paul Gascoigne, Paulo Di Canio, and a 23 yr old Mark Viduka all moved for around £3m.

In 06/07 Darren Bent moved for £16.5m and Michael Carrick for £18m.

I reckon that makes £3m in 97/98 worth.... ooooh about £75 billion now.

In 97/98 Paul Gascoigne, Paulo Di Canio, and a 23 yr old Mark Viduka all moved for around £3m.

In 06/07 Darren Bent moved for £16.5m and Michael Carrick for £18m.

I reckon that makes £3m in 97/98 worth.... ooooh about £75 billion now.

May I borrow your calulator? I feel checking my bank statment would be alot more fun! :fingerscrossed: xx

Archived