IGNORED

The Pre-season So Far.....

Mr. Bristol City

So then, how will we fair next season the finest group of teams outside of the worlds elite league, The Premiership.

If Pre-season is anything to go by ot could be confusing! It seems we started off very well with our tour of Latvia, coming home undefeated and winning two of the three, and I believe the first against Skonto Riga was mainly down to getting back into the flow anyway so to go three goals up, regardless of the final result was a huge boost. We managed to score 10 goals in three games, which although it's pre season, shown us that our players seem well up for the challenge.

However, when we returned our pre-season hasn't been the most fulfilling, we haven't won a game yet on home soil and have been beaten by two non league sides, and drew at home to Yeovil. But I ask myself, is the reason behind the recent poor form down to the fact that GJ was more intrested in something else?

Now this wouldn't bother me as he has clearly, in my opinion, been more intrested in making two very decent signings to join our other three signings, which have also been succesful in boosting the squads ability. Our first signing of the summer was Henderson, this seemed to me to be the backup player if Weale didn't regain fitness therefore causing his contract to end, however our second signing in Ivan Sproule has definetly improved our right wing, especially as I don't believe Betsy is worthy for a top half League One side, then in came Michael McIndoe. McIndoe is finally the left winger we've been asking for and I don't really need to say much more apart from that having a true left winger will increase our chances of survival, which leads us to the past week. The past week we have signed two very good players in my opinion. Trundle is obviously class and is the sort of striker which would have seen us Champions last year, and Elliott is probably the player with the most Championship experience in ouur entire squad, and at the age of just 22, he has also played in an FA Cup Final. If this is the case then tonight against Swindon we could see our first win in England, bar beating ourselves when the Hereford game was Postponed.

I am so far happy with this pre-season. I would rather see us losing games now than in August and if we have the whole squad fit for QPR, bar Brooker.... obviously!, then it has been a success, however i'd still like to see that pacey foward to go up top with Trundle.

Mr. Bristol City

It's never good to lose a game of football however, pre-season is about getting fit and staying injury free so my biggest concern is our injury record before a ball's kicked in anger.

That said, ANY BCFC team made up of first team players shouuld beat FGR & Torquay whilst not conceeding six goals!

Brooker, Noble, McCombe, Carey, Sproule all miss tonights game and Brooker's injury has gone beyond a joke.I don't think we have an alternative to Noble in the role he plays in a 4-4-1-1 so that could remove that formation as an option for GJ.

Overall, I'm pleased with the signings and surprised & delighted that we signed LT.

I'll judge them when I've seen them play but so far so good.

It's never good to lose a game of football however, pre-season is about getting fit and staying injury free so my biggest concern is our injury record before a ball's kicked in anger.

That said, ANY BCFC team made up of first team players shouuld beat FGR & Torquay whilst not conceeding six goals!

Brooker, Noble, McCombe, Carey, Sproule all miss tonights game and Brooker's injury has gone beyond a joke.I don't think we have an alternative to Noble in the role he plays in a 4-4-1-1 so that could remove that formation as an option for GJ.

Overall, I'm pleased with the signings and surprised & delighted that we signed LT.

I'll judge them when I've seen them play but so far so good.

I am expecting all but Brooker and maybe Noble to return for the QPR match, Sproule can be replaced by Murray if needed for the odd string of matches due to Murray maybe no longer being as fit as he once was. But Carey and McCombe would be damaging to the side if they we're both out for the opener, managed to keep a clean sheet though tonight!

Sproule played tonight and set up Jevons for his goal with a 'superb pass' so he should be ok if he can keep fit.

As you I have the same opinions on pre season, but this time around I would rather see the signings than the results, if you know what I mean.

I am expecting all but Brooker and maybe Noble to return for the QPR match, Sproule can be replaced by Murray if needed for the odd string of matches due to Murray maybe no longer being as fit as he once was. But Carey and McCombe would be damaging to the side if they we're both out for the opener, managed to keep a clean sheet though tonight!

Sproule played tonight and set up Jevons for his goal with a 'superb pass' so he should be ok if he can keep fit.

As you I have the same opinions on pre season, but this time around I would rather see the signings than the results, if you know what I mean.

Carey & McCombe are vital cogs in the wheel but Keogh & Fontaine are decent replacements with more pace than McCombe which could be more important at this level-Like I said, we'll only know when the serious stuff starts on Aug 11th.

Archived