IGNORED

Loan Signings

Bristol Boy

GJ's not had the best of luck with loan signings-I think it's fair to say.

The ones like Noble, which were always going to turn into a permanent deal, worked, the others like Youga & Quinn were an absolute disaster.

But comments attributed to GJ about loans in the EP/WDP seem to in contradiction of a lot of what he said last season.

"Clubs don't want their players who are CCC standard out on loan"

I can think of WBA and Koumas to Cardiff and Bendtner and others to Brum from Arsenal so I can't see that and last season a lot of comment was about players not wanting to drop down to L1.Stoke almost made the play offs with 6/7 loan signings.

I can understand that he'd prefer permanent signings but I wonder if his experience in his early days here with loan signings has jaundiced him with loan signings for keeps because over the years we've had some really good ones who changed our season around and saved us from relegation on one or two occassions.

Over to you.

Only get loan signings if they are going to play week in week out and we have the oppertunity to buy at the end of the season - other than that loans should be used to resolve short term problems e.g. like all your players not giving a toss about their performances each and every week and think golf days are more important than training.

I'm not a fan of loans, players on loan don't play with hart some will if there contract is due to expire and want to impress the club.

if GJ can find good loan signings in that have championship/prem experince all is welcome!

I was going to make a post about the same comment actually. I agree with the idea that, if the goal is long term success, then yea leave it to the committed players, but I disagree with the idea that loans cannot be useful in the championship. I think there are frequently many championship calibre players made available for loan by top Premier League clubs, and some times they do as such with a view of a permanent move. When I read the line I immediately questioned it, but surely GJ knows best :P

David Howells stayed fit for two games, but he was quality!

.. shame he passed the ball to a birmingham player to put him one on one, all but sealing our relegation.

don't think that kind of player would move on loan these days - wages are just too high in prem, so no chance of move ever being permenant, and little chance a CCC club can pick up 100% wages

For every David Noble success, there's a Tony Dinning,great on loan, pants when signed!!

I would be more intrigued how/if we are going to use the system to give our exciting youngsters the opportunity to get league experience. Riberio, Plummer,Artus etc could benefit greatly from loans at lower league clubs who play football( counts Rovers out then!!)

Prefer permanents myself, but needs must.

I was wondering about the situation at West Ham. Given they are buying every player going right now, surely they must have some decent youngsters that need a game? GJ is obviously on good terms with Curbs given the Charlton loans in the past so might be a possibility. Remember the impact Defoe made on loan at Bournemouth albeit in the division below. Mind you, if it's untried youth I think I'd prefer to see Tristan Plumber get a start.

Prefer permanents myself, but needs must.

I was wondering about the situation at West Ham. Given they are buying every player going right now, surely they must have some decent youngsters that need a game? GJ is obviously on good terms with Curbs given the Charlton loans in the past so might be a possibility. Remember the impact Defoe made on loan at Bournemouth albeit in the division below. Mind you, if it's untried youth I think I'd prefer to see Tristan Plumber get a start.

Good point about our younger players not getting a chance.That looks likely this season already from what GJ's said.

For every David Noble success, there's a Tony Dinning,great on loan, pants when signed!!

I would be more intrigued how/if we are going to use the system to give our exciting youngsters the opportunity to get league experience. Riberio, Plummer,Artus etc could benefit greatly from loans at lower league clubs who play football( counts Rovers out then!!)

On the subject of youngsters, how about Cotterill at Wigan?

Pacy striker, knows the area and the club.

On the subject of youngsters, how about Cotterill at Wigan?

Pacy striker, knows the area and the club.

i would love to see him back however I'm pretty certain he'll play a large part in wigans season this year, i think he'll score at least 10 goals in the prem this year.

i would love to see him back however I'm pretty certain he'll play a large part in wigans season this year, i think he'll score at least 10 goals in the prem this year.

If he gets a good run in the 1st team this season i think he'll do well, he missed alot through injury last season i think.

Archived