IGNORED

Oportunitys For Our Youngsters

robinmad

With the new signings will the likes of Artus Plummer Wilson and Ribberio get a chance , with the size of the squad they will probably struggle to get in the reserves there are currently 14 deffenders on the books , how will we keep them happy if they are not playing games

With the new signings will the likes of Artus Plummer Wilson and Ribberio get a chance , with the size of the squad they will probably struggle to get in the reserves there are currently 14 deffenders on the books , how will we keep them happy if they are not playing games

Just looking at the team picture on the main site can not see J Wilson has he left the club did i miss something

i was going to post this a couple of days ago after we sign elliott.

artus is supposed to be a good player and plays in the same sort of way as elliott, was outstanding for the reserves last season and cant do anymore to get a chance in the first team, yet we sign someone else.

its down to the youngsters to prove themselves but its very difficult to do so unless they are given the chance

artus is supposed to be a good player and plays in the same sort of way as elliott, was outstanding for the reserves last season and cant do anymore to get a chance in the first team, yet we sign someone else.

its down to the youngsters to prove themselves but its very difficult to do so unless they are given the chance

Johnson seems to like more experianced pros i think some of our youngsters would have figured at other clubs Cardiff apear to bring there boys through to the first team so do teams like leicester as well

Perhaps they will go on loan for a year to give them the chance or perhaps they will just be left to fester and drift away lie Bennyon did last year

If we're safely entrenched in mid-table towards the end of the season I expect they'll get a go. If we're involved in a relegation battle (or even, fingers crossed, a promotion battle) then I expect they'll find their opportunities limited. C'est la vie.

If we're safely entrenched in mid-table towards the end of the season I expect they'll get a go. If we're involved in a relegation battle (or even, fingers crossed, a promotion battle) then I expect they'll find their opportunities limited. C'est la vie.

i completely agree mate. i think a few would have been "blooded" last season had we sewed things up early enough. There just wasn't a point during last season when the young lads could have been given a game and assured that if they made a mistake it wouldn't cost us too dear. lets hope we're safe by february/march and a few of the lads can get a game without the potential pressure they'd be under if we're involved in a dog fight.

Imagine all the bellyaching and whining on here if Johnson had turned round and said "sorry, no major signings this summer, I want to give the youth team lads a go". It's very simple. These youngsters play against experienced pro's in training every single day and in reserve team matches. Any youngster who is genuinely good enough will, instead of sulking, prove their worth against the experienced pro's and will then get a chance when injury/lack of form to other players dictates. The Championship is a big mans league and any youngster blooded out of sentiment rather than deserving a chance could cost us dear - this league is going to be hard, every single week.

Jeez - the whole tone of the forum in recent weeks has been - "come on Gary, sign some players, strengthen the squad or we're not going to stay up, everybody else (Leicester, Wolves, Cov, Wed, Hull, etc etc have been signing up players and we're going to miss the boat, Lansdown start spashing the cash etc etc"

We sign 3 in a week - and someone comes on and moans because this means that our youngsters - who havn't yet played a league 1 game let alone a championship game - are not going to be given a chance.

Unbelievable.

This is where I disagree. If you are a genuinely class football player then it really is not difficult to show that you have more ability than those you train with. And it should also be obvious to the coaching staff when you have the physical and mental attributes to play as well. Do you think Wayne Rooney or Michael Owen wouldn't have been given a chance if they were on our books? I seem to remember Leroy Lita, Scott Golbourne, Dave Cotterill and Cole Skuse getting a chance at a young age. Why did they get a chance I wonder? Perhaps they showed their worth against more experienced senior pro's?

This is where I disagree. If you are a genuinely class football player then it really is not difficult to show that you have more ability than those you train with. And it should also be obvious to the coaching staff when you have the physical and mental attributes to play as well. Do you think Wayne Rooney or Michael Owen wouldn't have been given a chance if they were on our books? I seem to remember Leroy Lita, Scott Golbourne, Dave Cotterill and Cole Skuse getting a chance at a young age. Why did they get a chance I wonder? Perhaps they showed their worth against more experienced senior pro's?

Thats a good point i guess there just not good enough or they would be playing,

Thats a good point i guess there just not good enough or they would be playing,

Unfortunately I think that may be the case. I get the impression that most of the youngsters we churn out are either not good enough at all or of lower league standard (Benyon, Klein Davis and the like) with the odd exceptions already noted above. If you think about it, a youngster has to be an exceptional talent really to play regular Championship football as a teenager, let alone Premiership.

Jeez - the whole tone of the forum in recent weeks has been - "come on Gary, sign some players, strengthen the squad or we're not going to stay up, everybody else (Leicester, Wolves, Cov, Wed, Hull, etc etc have been signing up players and we're going to miss the boat, Lansdown start spashing the cash etc etc"

We sign 3 in a week - and someone comes on and moans because this means that our youngsters - who havn't yet played a league 1 game let alone a championship game - are not going to be given a chance.

Unbelievable.

i for one havent been screaming out for new players. i would of been happy with a left winger and a couple of strikers. i have also been one of the few to believe in the squad that gpt us promoted.

rather than signing a youngster from millwall, would rather artus was given a chance

At the end of the day, if they're good enough, they're old enough IMO. I fully expect the likes of JMW and Artus to farmed out to local League clubs this season to toughen up and gain some experience as they're at 'that' age where they need to be playing.

Players like Ribeiro and James Wilson aren't quite ready for first XI football yet and will probably learn more from being around experienced pro's like McCombe and Carey on the training ground.

I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, after all GJ's just trying his upmost to secure our Championship status and correctly thinks he won't do it with people like JMW and Artus in the team.... yet!

rather than signing a youngster from millwall, would rather artus was given a chance

He will get his chance just like the 22 yr old from millwall - they both have to prove they are better than the current occupants of the first team - they have to prove to the coaches that they are better than what is incombant and when the player in front of them gets injured or lack of form the best of the players in contention with that place will take the first team spot - that's the challenge for all of our academy players to be the best at the club so that the manager cant leave them out - if they aren't getting the oppertunity then a loan deal to a conference or 2nd division side will be provided and they have to come back better than when they left - if they don't then the answer is - they weren't good enough at the level the club is playing - ask youngsters at man utd who undoubtedly are good enough for professional football but arent good enough for man utd e.g dave jones at derby - jonathan greening at whereever he is at now etc... good players but couldnt break through at the club they were at because they arent good enough for that level that the team they were playing at was playing.

These lads get the prestige of associating their name to BCFC and some will find that professional football will be a living for their careers - but they have to prove they are better than what we already have or they leave for a level of football which is below where we are at the moment and the rejection from city might spur them on to better things but the destiny is in their hands and not one where the club have an obligation to give them first team football to develop them at the expense of points in the league.

I am sure that we will see a few of these youngsters loaned out to lower league clubs to get some match practise and experience.

There's also a hell of a difference between an untried 19 year old and a 22 year old ith championship experience and a lot of games under his belt.

The areas where we don't have loads of cover, such as full backs will be where the defenders will get there chance.

He will get his chance just like the 22 yr old from millwall - they both have to prove they are better than the current occupants of the first team - they have to prove to the coaches that they are better than what is incombant and when the player in front of them gets injured or lack of form the best of the players in contention with that place will take the first team spot - that's the challenge for all of our academy players to be the best at the club so that the manager cant leave them out - if they aren't getting the oppertunity then a loan deal to a conference or 2nd division side will be provided and they have to come back better than when they left - if they don't then the answer is - they weren't good enough at the level the club is playing - ask youngsters at man utd who undoubtedly are good enough for professional football but arent good enough for man utd e.g dave jones at derby - jonathan greening at whereever he is at now etc... good players but couldnt break through at the club they were at because they arent good enough for that level that the team they were playing at was playing.

These lads get the prestige of associating their name to BCFC and some will find that professional football will be a living for their careers - but they have to prove they are better than what we already have or they leave for a level of football which is below where we are at the moment and the rejection from city might spur them on to better things but the destiny is in their hands and not one where the club have an obligation to give them first team football to develop them at the expense of points in the league.

Well said. I reckon that's subject closed myself.

Archived