IGNORED

Lack Of High Profile Pre Season Games

ciderarmyarmycider

hi all, just wondered why the lack of high profile pre season games, i understand the top four are involved in big pre season tournaments, but what about getting spurs, or newcastle or even celtic or rangers, or maybe a half decent team from europe, just wondered if anybody has any thoughts on this........ :englandsmile4wf:

I thought the same. Would've much rather have the squad tested against better oppostion but I would say that GJ has opted for this schedule through locality as all of the teams we've played, since coming back from Riga, have been in our region.

I thought the same. Would've much rather have the squad tested against better oppostion but I would say that GJ has opted for this schedule through locality as all of the teams we've played, since coming back from Riga, have been in our region.

i can see the sence in that, just would of been nice to get a big club down the gate, celtic would of been good, they would of filled the away end and half the dolman....., i watched there game against QPR, green and white everywhere, all corners of the ground....

Did we win ANY home games against the rabble; :disapointed2se:

Guest ashtonyate

I said the same a couple of weeks ago its ok playing lower league teams to get fit but they will be playing teams who will have a different approach to the game next season. Still some of the fans got us winning the league by Christmas so what do I know

Guest ashtonyate
Surely theres more point in us playing a league one team who will be up for it than a premiership reserve team? Don't underestimate the quality of the Latvian teams either.

Its all about style in the third and fourth it is more kick and rush game the more directed approach. In the two top leagues its a more measured game more build up to the play.

Its Ok the build your stamina up against lower teams they will run you ragged, but they will not do much for your team in coming to grippes with counteracting teams style in the league we are playing in.

Its all about style in the third and fourth it is more kick and rush game the more directed approach. In the two top leagues its a more measured game more build up to the play.

How ironic then that you feel that the more measured approach of playing ball into feet which Trundles thrives on is more prevalent in the top two leagues yet you want a big target man more adept to the kick and rush game (you know the direct approach) that we just left in the third and fourth divisions.

Its Ok the build your stamina up against lower teams they will run you ragged, but they will not do much for your team in coming to grippes with counteracting teams style in the league we are playing in.

True. According to GJ Bournemouth is a playing side though.

Guest ashtonyate
How ironic then that you feel that the more measured approach of playing ball into feet which Trundles thrives on is more prevalent in the top two leagues yet you want a big target man more adept to the kick and rush game (you know the direct approach) that we just left in the third and fourth divisions.

I never said anything about feet, Trundle would thrive with someone who can give him the service he need like flick on's and hold the ball up for him like Howard does for Derby.

We had sheff u and blackburn lined up but we couldnt play sheff u because they got relegated and blackburn chose to play in the intertoto cup instead.

Not that it matters, but it was Reading we were due to play, not Sheff Utd.

We had two games lined up against Reading and Blackburn, Reading pulled out because of the Asia Cup thing and, as you say, Blackburn pulled out because of the Intertoto.

I never said anything about feet, Trundle would thrive with someone who can give him the service he need like flick on's and hold the ball up for him like Howard does for Derby.

and

Oh I see so Trundle isnt a mistake - the mistake is not buying a big chap upfront to partner him so we can play a style of game that is more adept to the lower divisions than the top 2 divisions?

Not that it matters, but it was Reading we were due to play, not Sheff Utd.

We had two games lined up against Reading and Blackburn, Reading pulled out because of the Asia Cup thing and, as you say, Blackburn pulled out because of the Intertoto.

Um, we did have Sheff Ud lined up actually.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,1...1061793,00.html

Guest ashtonyate
Oh I see so Trundle isnt a mistake - the mistake is not buying a big chap upfront to partner him so we can play a style of game that is more adept to the lower divisions than the top 2 divisions?

We paid to much money for Trundle that's the truth i would sooner let jevons have a go up front, if he had a big strong fast forward i think he would be as good as Trundle.

We paid to much money for Trundle that's the truth i would sooner let jevons have a go up front, if he had a big strong fast forward i think he would be as good as Trundle.

typical rubbish,

20 goal a season man over the last 4 years in league one,

creates as goals as well as scoring them

born entertainer

for a 30 year old is it a lot of money, but for a 30 year old who didn't break into football until his early 20's he still has many miles left on the clock, I predict by the end of the season many will be saying what a bargain we got.........obviously though you will totally disagree.

Guest ashtonyate
typical rubbish,

20 goal a season man over the last 4 years in league one,

creates as goals as well as scoring them

born entertainer

for a 30 year old is it a lot of money, but for a 30 year old who didn't break into football until his early 20's he still has many miles left on the clock, I predict by the end of the season many will be saying what a bargain we got.........obviously though you will totally disagree.

I do not buy this broke into football late, he must have been playing football before he was taken on as a pro. As well as he may have scored a lot of goals in the third but we are playing in the second a its different I wait to see if he can hack it.

I do not buy this broke into football late, he must have been playing football before he was taken on as a pro. As well as he may have scored a lot of goals in the third but we are playing in the second a its different I wait to see if he can hack it.

worked ok for players like Ian Wright for example

yes he would have been playing football pre-pro days, however he wouldn't have been training as much instead of 4-5 days a week, he would have been training 1-2 evenings a week at most, with that amount of training his body will be in alot better condition than someone who has been playing/training on a 5day basis since they were 16, although both now full-time pro's both Trundle and Enoch have come into the game late and are still developing as players.

Billy Sharp, Luke Varney they scored alot of goals in League One but do you doubt they would be capable of scoing in the championship

A target man is exactly what we want, whats the point of having two good wingers if there is no one in the middle to lay the ball off or at least try for goal.

Teams in no matter what league you are in play to their strenghts, the thing is the higher the league we play in the better the player we will come across.

So we should have played teams with a bit more on a level as us, to really try and get used to the pace and build ups of the games we will come across in the championship. We have to be up with the pace from the first game, so the first few games are vital.

Nice to help the smaller clubs out financially, but the results we have come across hardly gives confidence to what is going to be a vital season!

Guest ashtonyate
A target man is exactly what we want, whats the point of having two good wingers if there is no one in the middle to lay the ball off or at least try for goal.

Teams in no matter what league you are in play to their strenghts, the thing is the higher the league we play in the better the player we will come across.

So we should have played teams with a bit more on a level as us, to really try and get used to the pace and build ups of the games we will come across in the championship. We have to be up with the pace from the first game, so the first few games are vital.

Nice to help the smaller clubs out financially, but the results we have come across hardly gives confidence to what is going to be a vital season!

Good post

Guest ashtonyate
worked ok for players like Ian Wright for example

yes he would have been playing football pre-pro days, however he wouldn't have been training as much instead of 4-5 days a week, he would have been training 1-2 evenings a week at most, with that amount of training his body will be in alot better condition than someone who has been playing/training on a 5day basis since they were 16, although both now full-time pro's both Trundle and Enoch have come into the game late and are still developing as players.

Billy Sharp, Luke Varney they scored alot of goals in League One but do you doubt they would be capable of scoing in the championship

Its the age thing had Trundle been 26/27 he would have been worth the money and may be a bit more, nearly 31 we were riped off

Its the age thing had Trundle been 26/27 he would have been worth the money and may be a bit more, nearly 31 we were riped off

Time will tell. I'd argue that it was good value for a striker who has scored at least 20 goals in his last 4 seasons. And as a player who doesn't really rely on pace, age isn't really that important.

Time will tell. I'd argue that it was good value for a striker who has scored at least 20 goals in his last 4 seasons. And as a player who doesn't really rely on pace, age isn't really that important.

Totally agree, Trundle has already shown what his intentions are as a player, he came into the game late in life, so he is, and will make the most of it. He will score goals and enjoy his time with us!

well according to certain national media establishments they reckon we have got a bargain,

who to believe the most negative person in Bristol? or people actually paid to report on football matches and players

It's been a criticism of mine for years and our pre-seasons under GJ have been better in terms of the tour of Latvia but back here, the games have been against non league and lower league opposition.

Tinnion's tenure was all about cost cutting and the teams then were even worse.

That and our lack of regular quality reserve team football are issues that need to be addressed.They will partly be addressed by loan as per the three this week and expect to see more of that this season particularly with Partridge who we're desparately trying to shift and the 7/8 youngsters in the squad.

As ever, if we start the season well, it will all be forgotten.

Archived