IGNORED

A Good Time To Judge?

Bristol Boy

You'll hear people say:

"Don't look at the table until Xmas"

"Blocks of ten games"

All makes sense, but having just taken a squint at the fixture list, I reckon Nov 1st could be a good time.About a quarter of the season gone.

Six Home:QPR,Scun, Burn, Sheff Utd, Soton & Stoke

Six Away:Blackpool, Weds, Coventry, PNE, Barnsley & Norwich

PLUS:At least one cup game......possibly FOUR

16 Games in 10/11 weeks!

At least five of those games are against teams backed for the play offs and who finished last season strongly.One home and one away against promoted sides without our financial clout.Barnsley who struggled and Burnely who blew hot & cold.....mostly cold.

36 Points to play for and four rounds of the cup.

I'll go for an exit in the second round of the cup & 15 Points.

Oh and an average crowd of 16,500!

Over to you. :city::city::city:

It's a totally unpredictable season, i know some fans who secretly think were going down, but would never admit to it, and likewise fan who think were going up, but would never admit to it.

Each game as they come, we can't go setting targets we wont achieve, and just being happy with survival is simply RELEGATION TALK!

GJ's ambition will be to win every game, you could say the same for all managers, but do they all really believe in themselves like our Manager does?

So yes we can Judge now, but whats to know? The new players have added quality to a side with already proven ability against 'better class' opponents, i think GJ and SL have done all they possibly can with respect to improving the squad.

Saturday, ohhh bring on Saturday and the QPR!

i think GJ and SL have done all they possibly can with respect to improving the squad.

GJ may well have done.

I honestly believe that unless Brooker's a lot closer than he sounds, we're short of a striker and a quality one at that.Perhaps the loan market will be the answer shortly before or even after the deadline?

Quality costs and we may need SL to fund another major signing.

I'd make it 7 of each though. Adding in Home to Charlton and away to Wolves

We've then played IMO at least two of the promotion, two mid table and two relegation candidates both home and away. That way we've seen the wide spectrum of teams both home and away and can hopefully fully judge the standard of the league, where we need to strengthen (if anywhere! or everywhere...) and who can cope with the pressure.

14 games in, 20-22 points and i'll be happy.

You'll hear people say:

"Blocks of ten games"

All makes sense, but having just taken a squint at the fixture list, I reckon Nov 1st could be a good time.About a quarter of the season gone.

16 Games in 10/11 weeks!

At least five of those games are against teams backed for the play offs and who finished last season strongly.One home and one away against promoted sides without our financial clout.Barnsley who struggled and Burnely who blew hot & cold.....mostly cold.

I read the title of this thread & thought somone was going to wish me a good time :crying: Dunno what for though. :crying::crying:

Out of the home games, I think we have one of the more easier starts we could've wished for. QPR, Scunny and Burnley are all winnable games IMO whilst a draw would suffice against Stoke (knowing Pulis he will come for the draw with loads of men behind the ball) and the real tests will be Sheff Utd and Saints. So if we take 10 from the 18 on offer, I'd be happy.

Away from home is a complete lottery. I presume GJ will utilise 4-5-1 alot away from the Gate meaning probably more draws than wins. Blackpool is very much winnable, as is Barnsley, but I genuinely don't know what to expect from trips to Sheff Weds, Preston and Norwich whilst my heart says we can turn Cov over like we did in January but my head says 'new manager, new players, new proposition all together'. So, going on that I'd say around 7 or 8 points with a win at Barnsley and draws coming from any of the rest making a total of 17/18 points from a possible 36 and a place in lower mid-table.

• Admin

We've then played IMO at least two of the promotion, two mid table and two relegation candidates both home and away. That way we've seen the wide spectrum of teams both home and away and can hopefully fully judge the standard of the league, where we need to strengthen (if anywhere! or everywhere...) and who can cope with the pressure.

The original list misses out WBA in between the Scunny & Burnley home games.

So extend it to November 3rd to include Wolves (away) and you have 7 home & 7 away.

.....and like you I'd be looking at the points range you suggest as an more-than-acceptable return as it would be heading for upper mid-table.

That said, if the players hit their own target of 15 from the first 5 games then I'll be a tad disappointed with 20 from 14 games! ;)

14 Games in and 22 points! Maintain that over 46 games that = 73 points which means we would have missed out on the play offs by 2 points last year! That would be a great season :fingerscrossed:

The original list misses out WBA in between the Scunny & Burnley home games.

Ooops :blush: In that case I'll be even more happy with my prediction! Joking apart. early doors could be a good time to play teams that have signed & sold quite a few players before they settle!

So extend it to November 3rd to include Wolves (away) and you have 7 home & 7 away.

Yup

.....and like you I'd be looking at the points range you suggest as an more-than-acceptable return as it would be heading for upper mid-table.

That said, if the players hit their own target of 15 from the first 5 games then I'll be a tad disappointed with 20 from 14 games! ;)

Based on 15 (Which is Do-Able) so would I

As long as we get a good start in the first 3 games, which, i honestly think we can take 9 from 9 against the teams we are up against.

The real test will start when we play the bigger teams of the league, IE Sheffield Wednesday in our 4th game. We could struggle struggle against teams like Wolves, West Brom and Charlton away from home but at home we can beat anyone with our fans commitment.

Good time to judge in any league, IMO is after the christmas/new year period. Hopefully after this we can be a respectable 17th or higher and push on from there.

I agree that Wolves (a) at the start of November, would be a good time to review where we are.The key is to hit the floor running, confidence breeds confidence etc.A poor start and we will be in the mire by that time, a good start and we'll be comfortably mid-table and looking to push on.

You'll hear people say:

"Blocks of ten games"

16 Games in 10/11 weeks!

To make a long story short, 16 points and 15 750 in average. If you wan't it 14 matches, 19 p. A'm deeply concerned about our strikers and I think we can do far more regarding scouting. To late to do anything now though. Let's stop being realistic and just be possitive. Hallelujah!

COME ON YOU REDS!

Archived