IGNORED

Reading V Bristol City

Guest ReadingFan

Guest ReadingFan

After reading some of the opinions of Bristol City fans, I thought it would be interesting to do some comparisons between the 2 clubs over the past 5 seasons.

Average Attendances:

1998/1999 season Reading 11,262 (division2) Bristol City 12,840 (divison1)

1999/2000 season Reading 13,348 (division2) Bristol City 9,803 (division2)

2000/2001 season Reading 12,649 (division2) Bristol City 10,369 (division2)

2001/2002 season Reading 14,115 (division2) Bristol City 11,220 (division2)

2002/2003 season Reading 16,011 (division1) Bristol City 11,890 (division2)

So for all you City fans who reckon you're a better supported club. The facts don't lie. Some Bristol City fans think that Reading were getting crowds of 4000 at the Madejski. This is certainly not true. In fact the season any of you were referring to was the Tommy Burns era in the 1998/1999 season. (our first back down in division 2).

Our lowest league crowd that year (our first at the stadium) was 7,914.

Bristol City's lowest league crowd in the 1999/2000 season (City's first back down in the second division) was 7,777 Lower than Reading's lowest!

This clears up some very inacurrate stats that have been posted on this site.

I'd like to finish by wishing you the very best in your hunt for promotion back to division 1.

The only reply I can give is to laugh. You sound like a Brighton fan.
I have to agree, we ain't a bigger club than you, potential means nothing in terms of size, if it did we would be probably the biggest club outside the prem bar cardiff, and we'd both be above the bottom few teams in the prem.

potentially yes we are a bigger club then reading, but we are potentially a bigger club than southampton.

Currently though we are nothing and are a smaller club than Reading.

i think you just posted that at the wrong time :whistle:

I've always assumed that Reading have historically mustered crowds of 10k on average at best. Do those figures start from the move to Madejski? Is it not fair to say that his millions have attracted a fair few floating fans?

Not wishing to dispute the facts but what does the evidence show from say 1990 onwards?

Guest ReadingFan

More FACTS

Reading V Bristol City

Past meetings

15/10/94 Reading 1 Bristol City 0 Attendance 9,389

29/04/95 Bristol City 1 Reading 2 Attendance 9,474

07/08/99 Reading 2 Bristol City 1 Attendance 13,348

04/12/99 Bristol City 3 Reading 1 Attendance 8,936

1/10/00 Bristol City 4 Reading 0 Attendance 11,134

23/03/01 Reading 1 Bristol City 3 Attendance 15,716

10/11/01 Reading 3 Bristol City 2 Attendance 14,060

30/03/02 Bristol City 3 Reading 3 Attendance 15,609

Guest ReadingFan
I have to agree, we ain't a bigger club than you, potential means nothing in terms of size, if it did we would be probably the biggest club outside the prem bar cardiff, and we'd both be above the bottom few teams in the prem.

potentially yes we are a bigger club then reading, but we are potentially a bigger club than southampton.

Currently though we are nothing and are a smaller club than Reading.

i think you just posted that at the wrong time :whistle:

I think you're dreaming a bit

More FACTS

07/08/99 Reading 2 Bristol City 1 Attendance 13,348

04/12/99 Bristol City 3 Reading 1 Attendance 8,936

1/10/00 Bristol City 4 Reading 0 Attendance 11,134

23/03/01 Reading 1 Bristol City 3 Attendance 15,716

Yep, our away following is mighty impressive isnt it :whistle:

Only having a laugh mate.

Nope, i'm just pointing out our potential, there isn't a single big club within 100 miles of Bristol or Cardiff for that matter, and neither side is going to take from each other catchment really.

There are about 1.8 million people who don't have premiership football to watch, there ain't that many people anywhere near southampton.

We are potentially a massive club like it or not, we can take 40,000 to a meaningless game in cardiff, and 35,000 for a meaningless game in london.

Put us in southamptons position at a shiny new stadium, we would be filling it every week and probably looking to expand quickly to meet the demand that would be there. Southampton are pretty much at their limit, they could mabye get a few more fans in but not many.

While i am not going to knock Reading for their size and support NOW. I do remember going to Elm Park a few times before Reading moved.

Now how do i say this......................

YOU WERE A SMALL CLUB. YOUR OLD GROUND WAS A S**THOLE.

However, i would not say that you are a small club anymore and you do have a very nice ground, even if its not the sort of ground i would like. All new grounds look the same to me and it takes something away from going to a new ground for the first time. I prefer grounds Old Trafford or St James Park (newcastle not Exeter).

The bottom line is though, it does'nt matter who is bigger than who. What matters is success on the pitch.

I live in reading small club small minds, when I get the train from Reading (less than 20 mins from london) it is always full of Chelskum,West Ham, Spurs & QPR fans so where is Reading's fan base going????

After reading some of the opinions of Bristol City fans, I thought it would be interesting to do some comparisons between the 2 clubs over the past 5 seasons.

Average Attendances:

1998/1999 season Reading 11,262 (division2) Bristol City 12,840 (divison1)

1999/2000 season Reading 13,348 (division2) Bristol City 9,803 (division2)

2000/2001 season Reading 12,649 (division2) Bristol City 10,369 (division2)

2001/2002 season Reading 14,115 (division2) Bristol City 11,220 (division2)

2002/2003 season Reading 16,011 (division1) Bristol City 11,890 (division2)

So for all you City fans who reckon you're a better supported club. The facts don't lie. Some Bristol City fans think that Reading were getting crowds of 4000 at the Madejski. This is certainly not true. In fact the season any of you were referring to was the Tommy Burns era in the 1998/1999 season. (our first back down in division 2).

Our lowest league crowd that year (our first at the stadium) was 7,914.

Bristol City's lowest league crowd in the 1999/2000 season (City's first back down in the second division) was 7,777 Lower than Reading's lowest!

This clears up some very inacurrate stats that have been posted on this site.

I'd like to finish by wishing you the very best in your hunt for promotion back to division 1.

I bet you don't get the kind of Away support we get! :D

Also 39,500+ at Cardiff last year - That's potential for you! :whistle:

Could have been even more greedy if we were allowed, but it was stopped there. :laugh:

I think you're dreaming a bit

If either City (or even the Gas) got an all-new 24,000 all seater stadium, then I'd think both Bristolian clubs would spank your attendance per game at home matches week in and week out! Just look at Hull City for an example...

Same for Stoke as well (sort of) with their new Brittannia stadium. :whistle:

Archived