IGNORED

Police On Form Again - L.a Bypass

Cardy

Did anyone else notice the large number of cars that got parking tickets on the bypass ? Atleast 50 or so. I drove through at 11am and there were no cones up or anything and cars were already parked up. Those same cars plus many others still received tickets - that can't be right surely. The way I saw it was the cones were not put up until about 2pm (I actually saw them being put out by cops on bikes) and then the cops went round and booked the lot of them. Shocking police tactics. If anyone needs a witness just let me know.

Bristol City Council will be putting a clearway in place on the Cumberland Basin from the city boundary on the A370 along Brunel Way to the Plimsoll Swing Bridge. Cars parked here will be towed away.

BBC.CO.UK - Balloon Fiesta Information

Sorry but if you've got a ticket, then it's a case of you shouldn't have been parked there. If it's on there, then I can only imagine that the same information would have been in the Evening Post, on the Radio as well as TV News. Can't see anybody getting out of this one...

BBC.CO.UK - Balloon Fiesta Information

Sorry but if you've got a ticket, then it's a case of you shouldn't have been parked there. If it's on there, then I can only imagine that the same information would have been in the Evening Post, on the Radio as well as TV News. Can't see anybody getting out of this one...

Firstly I didn't get a ticket and I wasn't parked there - I just feel sorry for those that did. They have been stitched right up.

Posting information on the balloon fiesta site or in the local papers is not sufficient or fair warning by the police. I can't imagine there is anyway that type of warning alone would stand up in court.

From what I could see there were absolutely no warnings on the road where the cars were parked. The number of cars parked there would also suggest that there were no signs visible.

Firstly I didn't get a ticket and I wasn't parked there - I just feel sorry for those that did. They have been stitched right up.

Posting information on the balloon fiesta site or in the local papers is not sufficient or fair warning by the police. I can't imagine there is anyway that type of warning alone would stand up in court.

From what I could see there were absolutely no warnings on the road where the cars were parked. The number of cars parked there would also suggest that there were no signs visible.

I have heard of this before, so when I parked up in Ashton today at 11,15 I took a photo on my phone of my car parked without a cone in sight. Just in case. Probably wouldn't have been sufficient evidence, but it might have helped.

It was a generalisation - if you - the royal you, as in if anybody did. Not, if Cardy parked there he deserved sort of thing. I reliased from your post that you hadn't parked there....

There is an argument for signs or cones to be put there, but we all know what the council and police are like - if they've put out a warning then they'll try and use that as the case for "you shouldn't have been parked there."

I agree there should have been some markings there, as people were advised to arrive early. Whether they'll get the fines rescinded or not I guess it's a case of watch this space. I hope they do get away with the fines, just can't see it happening myself though.

They didn't need cones or no parking signs - they put up Clearway signs...

Out of interest what is a Clearway sign and where were they put. Just interested really - I might learn something that could save me £60 in the future !

Out of interest what is a Clearway sign and where were they put. Just interested really - I might learn something that could save me £60 in the future !

You're a driver and you don't know what a Clearway sign is? :disapointed2se:

You might want to take a look at this page:

Traffic Signs

Normally the clearway on the A370 starts just before the slip road to long ashton, but yesterday they had them at the end of the slip road from ashton on to the A370. They might have been in other places too, but that's the one I noticed.

There is an argument for signs or cones to be put there, but we all know what the council and police are like - if they've put out a warning then they'll try and use that as the case for "you shouldn't have been parked there."

Please remind me which day's Evening Post the QPR fans should have driven down to buy to check where they could not park? It should be obvious to all, including even senior police officers, that people who are parking there will be coming from all areas, not just locally - not least because several thousand were travelling down to support a team from outside the area.

The bottom line is that if the police plan to put a parking area out of use there should be adequate signing warning of changing restrictions at least 24 hrs in advance.

But then, it was quite obvious from the way they policed the end of the match that Avon and Somerset's finest were clueless yesterday and need to raise their game.

And no, I didn't get a ticket. I parked elsewhere but was amazed at how much of the area around the Gate was coned off. If it's normally considered safe to park there, why REDUCE the amount of parking available on a day when it's quite obvious there will be thousands more cars needing to park because of the big game, balloon fiesta etc? Answers on a postcard please...

If it's normally considered safe to park there, why REDUCE the amount of parking available on a day when it's quite obvious there will be thousands more cars needing to park because of the big game, balloon fiesta etc? Answers on a postcard please...

I can only imagine is was BECAUSE there would be thousands of extra cars in the area because of the balloon fiesta, that the police wanted to keep the roads as clear as possible to ease inevitable congestion. Seems logical to me. Why do people always suspect that the police have some ulterior motive and are around purely to make the football fan's day as difficult as possible?

The same applies to those who bleating about the police action on the Ashton Bypass. There were extra Clearway signs in place. It's not the fault of the police if motorists ignore those signs and park there anyway.

And from the congestion along that road at the end of the game, it was obvious their action was justified.

Please remind me which day's Evening Post the QPR fans should have driven down to buy to check where they could not park? It should be obvious to all, including even senior police officers, that people who are parking there will be coming from all areas, not just locally - not least because several thousand were travelling down to support a team from outside the area.

The bottom line is that if the police plan to put a parking area out of use there should be adequate signing warning of changing restrictions at least 24 hrs in advance.

But then, it was quite obvious from the way they policed the end of the match that Avon and Somerset's finest were clueless yesterday and need to raise their game.

And no, I didn't get a ticket. I parked elsewhere but was amazed at how much of the area around the Gate was coned off. If it's normally considered safe to park there, why REDUCE the amount of parking available on a day when it's quite obvious there will be thousands more cars needing to park because of the big game, balloon fiesta etc? Answers on a postcard please...

Well one would presume that it was publicised in their local papers, news, and official websites etc.

That is also presuming that the Avon & Somerset jobsworths actually thought outside of the box, and notified their counterparts in London. Actually having said that, I see your point RedTop...

Publishing in the local paper or on the radio is not good enough to stop someone parking in a particular space. If there were signs up including clearway signs then people who booked there have no arguent. However if there wasn't and no cones out then its the polices fault and I wouldn;t paid. Similar thing happened to us at an away game, got there early found a space to later pop back just before the game to find a parking ticket. Complained and didn't pay.

Blame parking services not police parking offences are civil offences and not criminal offences

Well one would presume that it was publicised in their local papers, news, and official websites etc.

That is also presuming that the Avon & Somerset jobsworths actually thought outside of the box, and notified their counterparts in London. Actually having said that, I see your point RedTop...

Not to mention those of us who come from all corners of the country (in my case Kent) to support our team, whether that be City or QPR.

There's no excuse whatsoever for the police not notifying imminent restrictions with adequate signing at the parking place itself at least a day in advance, and I'd expect anyone shafted by parking tickets when they had parked perfectly legally to win any appeal. If there are no warning signs or road markings, you should be able to park your car legally and expect to be able to walk away and return a couple of hours later without finding that the restrictions have changed in the meantime. That's perfectly reasonable.

Not to mention those of us who come from all corners of the country (in my case Kent) to support our team, whether that be City or QPR.

There's no excuse whatsoever for the police not notifying imminent restrictions with adequate signing at the parking place itself at least a day in advance, and I'd expect anyone shafted by parking tickets when they had parked perfectly legally to win any appeal. If there are no warning signs or road markings, you should be able to park your car legally and expect to be able to walk away and return a couple of hours later without finding that the restrictions have changed in the meantime. That's perfectly reasonable.

Er I think you'll find that parking is severely restricted, but that police have historically turned a blind eye on matchdays, so technically they don't need to notify anyone that they are going to enforce an existing restriction. You certainly cannot park on the dual carriageway, or any other dual carriageway under normal circumstances.

I thought City always put in a request to play away when its the Balloon Fiesta.

Anyone know why this didn't happen?

They only do those sort of requests if the police ask them to. The police said they could cope with both events in the area on the day. The police didnt ask the club to make the request so they didnt.

I got to the ground early and parked where I normally parked as there was no signs up or anything. We thought we better check and was told you might get a ticket or you might not. Wasn't worth the risk so drove off and parked in the side street next to Aldi.

Stood outside The Ship I saw many cars brought past that had been towed away.

I walked to and from the Park & Ride yesterday, the family were doing shopping, and walked past several signs incluidng a Towaway Zone sign. Sorry, got no sympathy it was obvious they would get tickets.

I walked past a Parking Services Car that was parked just along from the bus stop on the slip road up to the bypass and you could tell from the rubbing of hands by the wardens that all there christmases had come at once.

the whole ticketing thing on long ashton was crazy! I would also say that there was no signage at all indicating restricitons on what is always normally a safe area to park on every other game match. There was definatley not any signs when I arrived at like 12pm! I think it was a gd excuse to make some money and I hope everyone who got a ticket appeals against it, the more that do the more likly people will not have to pay the tickets! Was awful seeing city fans coming back and not finding their cars - they didnt even have any idea how to get their car back - HARSh and unfair I feel!! Think a lot of people feel hard done by after speaking to a few after the game.

with regards to that link some1 posted on here to linkin to BBC website = all well and great but what if you havent come across that before sat or the papers!???! City website said nothing indicating you couldnt park on there just the basin being shut!!

THERE WERE CLEARWAY SIGNS. You have all passed a driving test....(possibly)???? :grr:

What do you want? A personal letter? It was well publicized and well managed. Use some common sense.

Archived