IGNORED

Something To Throw Into The New Stadium Argument

Show Me The Money!

BBC Link

Discuss

If you want to that is

Some obvious points, however the most glaringly inaccurate is the 'better experience for fans'.

I've yet to go to a new ground which offered a better 'experience' than the old one. For me, most new builds are lifeless, soulless affairs with no sense of identity.

I appreciate that's the way football is going, i.e a cozy family affair in a a tepid atmosphere at best, but i don't enjoy that at all. My Dad took me to stand in the East End, and it was precisely the excitement and atmosphere on the terraces those days that got me hooked. If i was 12/13 now, i would struggle to find anything exciting about the 'match day experience'. If anything i would find it boring.

I'd much rather have a new stadium as it is the way forward, however it wont happen with this regime in charge, and the boat has been missed.

Fact is Ashton Gate can be developed to meet our short term and medium term capacity requirements, and while it is a nightmare to get to, poorly serviced by public transport and looking tired and old that all important planning permission is in the bank, which is what counts.

I'd much rather have a new stadium as it is the way forward, however it wont happen with this regime in charge, and the boat has been missed.

Fact is Ashton Gate can be developed to meet our short term and medium term capacity requirements, and while it is a nightmare to get to, poorly serviced by public transport and looking tired and old that all important planning permission is in the bank, which is what counts.

I agree it's the way football is moving, i just think new stadiums are a huge bag of w@nk in terms of atmosphere, excitement, identity, passion, etc.

I agree it's the way football is moving, i just think new stadiums are a huge bag of w@nk in terms of atmosphere, excitement, identity, passion, etc.

I think that is because they all seem to use very similar designs. Liverpool have the right idea with their new stadium, looks like its going to have bags of character!

I think that is because they all seem to use very similar designs. Liverpool have the right idea with their new stadium, looks like its going to have bags of character!

And the fact that it's being built in Stanley Park means they haven't completely chucked their heritage down the drain for 30 pieces of silver!

To take AG to 29,000 will cost us about £16-20m.

29k will be plenty until we hit The Prem.

MK Dons New Ground which currently holds 22,000 cost £42m.

Unless we get a backer who wants to plough a load of dough in,I can't see it happening anytime soon.

Those stats include Arsenal who increased attendances by about 85/90% when they moved & Man City so can be misleading when viewed in % terms.

Imagine the response we would get from Bristol City Council if we submitted a planning application to build a 40,000 stadium in Greville Smyth Park. You would have more chance of seeing Lord Lucan riding Shergar down Windterstoke Road, than you would gaining planning consent for such a project.

The sad fact is Liverpool City Council care about their Football Club, ours is more concerned with Political Correctness such as constantly going on about the slave trade, than it is supporting indigenous Bristolians and the City's important institutions, such as our beloved club.

"New Stadia Deliver Income Boost"

In other news, a new study proves that bears do indeed shit in the woods and the pope dispels rumours of his conversion to rastafarianism by confirming he is still a catholic.

If we could develop a new stadium in south Bristol, and the design had a bit of originality I'd be all for it. Without one we are at a massive disadvantage to clubs that do have one, not just in terms of capacity but we will generate far less non matchday revenue.

We could probably largely finance a new stadium by turning the old one into flats. The problem is that the whole thing depends on support from the council and they are about as useful as a second arsehole. Maybe them granting the sags planning permission will help us but somehow I suspect not.

no boat hasn't been missed at all, it is still being discussed and the new STA across the three councils will help things like the southern ring road and airport link road, which in turn will make allowances and better access for huge capital projects like this.

Having said that, AG isn't wedged between a load of terraced houses like a lot of grounds, and has plenty of surrounding space to grow up and out. Like Bristol Boy states going up to 29k would see us for a while, and the projected cost could be mitigated if built with apartments and commercial/hotel opportunities etc.

no boat hasn't been missed at all, it is still being discussed and the new STA across the three councils will help things like the southern ring road and airport link road, which in turn will make allowances and better access for huge capital projects like this.

Having said that, AG isn't wedged between a load of terraced houses like a lot of grounds, and has plenty of surrounding space to grow up and out. Like Bristol Boy states going up to 29k would see us for a while, and the projected cost could be mitigated if built with apartments and commercial/hotel opportunities etc.

You've got no chance ern.

An airpot expansion AND a ring road. Not a chance in hell given todays tree hugging fashion.

I thought the planning permission was now in place for a new East End and work will be going ahead regardless of division? So City are staying put hope it will be something to be proud of.

Some clubs have also experienced big losses in attendance as well and then been left with cavernous stadiums with not nearly enough fans to fill them.

I am sure the stadium manager stated last week a new stand was being built regardless so City are staying put or throwing millions away at a later date to move? Staying put.

You may well be right on the public transport argument but I do not think it is anywhere near being a 'nightmare' to get to especially when you consider many other grounds in the land. Furthermore, for me it does not look tired and, even if one agrees that it is, give me AG any day over the lifeless new builds.

I was at the match on Saturday and, sitting in the Williams, sat next to a QPR fan. He kinda summed it up for me when he said he really liked the stadium AND it had heart and soul. Tell me a new build that has that and I may begin to listen to such an argument about moving lock, stock and two goal posts.

Some obvious points, however the most glaringly inaccurate is the 'better experience for fans'.

I've yet to go to a new ground which offered a better 'experience' than the old one. For me, most new builds are lifeless, soulless affairs with no sense of identity.

I appreciate that's the way football is going, i.e a cozy family affair in a a tepid atmosphere at best, but i don't enjoy that at all. My Dad took me to stand in the East End, and it was precisely the excitement and atmosphere on the terraces those days that got me hooked. If i was 12/13 now, i would struggle to find anything exciting about the 'match day experience'. If anything i would find it boring.

Totally agree, for investors especially the unwelcome foreign ones its ONLY about the money, they could not give a flying 5h1t about us, only that we spend money.

66% increase in turnover? well duh.. I would also like to see their expenditure too, bet thats about 50000% more! lolz

Football used to be about the game, now its about money and i ###### hate it somtimes.

You may well be right on the public transport argument I do not think it is anywhere near being a 'nightmare' to get to especially when you consider many other grounds in the land. Furthermore, for me it does not look tired and, even if one agrees that it is, give me that any day over the lifeless new builds.

I was at the match on Saturday and, sitting in the Williams, sat next to a QPR fan. He kinda summed it up for me when he said he really liked the stadium AND it had heart and soul. Tell me a new build that has that and I may begin to listen to such an argument about moving lock, stock and two goal posts.

Transport links from Bath are good if you can leave the car behind A bus is ten minutes from Temple Meads [pound return]. That is favourable to anywhere around Bristol.

I love Ashton Gate give me it anytime over retail park Madjeski etc.

Archived