IGNORED

Lj - Looking To Express Himself?

brady bunch

In the Evening Post there is a good article on LJ and how he is hoping to win over the fans with a few more goals and expressing himself more, also states that Trundle should help in this as he can play with his back to goal and feed the runners.

Whilst I do feel sorry for him as he has the issue of playing for his Dad and is clearly a good player and I realise there are a good number of you who think he can do no wrong and probably more that (like me) rate his Dad highly enough to forgive him his pretty obvious nepotism...

However, does anyone else on this forum feel like me that despite the goal (which was keeper error more then blindingly good shot) he has been well below par in pre season and against QPR?

My evidence for this is really poor passing (often straight to an oppo's and another attempt to Enoch that should have been simple and went 5ft over his head), poor positional play (often stood next to a team mate rather then looking to give an option / outlet) and most frustrating of all the daft back flicks he loves to play often without looking to see if a player is near where the ball is going to land).

Because of who he is, he appears to already to have his place nailed on in the side? whilst Noble is out I can maybe see this is right, but will it change with the return of Noble?

For me Elliot (all be it from the few times I have seen him) looks to have everything LJ has (goals / creativity and a good engine) with the added extra's of height, heading, pace and a good tackle.

I would love to see Elliot along side Noble myself.

I will go and don my tin helmet as I realise I am committing the cardinal sin of knocking a Johnson!

i didnt think he was well below par than the rest of the team i thought he played well and got a goal which was a good goal i thought, if it wasnt then the keeper would of saved it.

he does seem to overplay at times but he is a key factor in our midfield, and if the gaffer didnt think he was playing well or doing good in trainin then he would be dropped just like any other player in the team.

In the Evening Post there is a good article on LJ and how he is hoping to win over the fans with a few more goals and expressing himself more, also states that Trundle should help in this as he can play with his back to goal and feed the runners.

Whilst I do feel sorry for him as he has the issue of playing for his Dad and is clearly a good player and I realise there are a good number of you who think he can do no wrong and probably more that (like me) rate his Dad highly enough to forgive him his pretty obvious nepotism...

However, does anyone else on this forum feel like me that despite the goal (which was keeper error more then blindingly good shot) he has been well below par in pre season and against QPR?

My evidence for this is really poor passing (often straight to an oppo's and another attempt to Enoch that should have been simple and went 5ft over his head), poor positional play (often stood next to a team mate rather then looking to give an option / outlet) and most frustrating of all the daft back flicks he loves to play often without looking to see if a player is near where the ball is going to land).

Because of who he is, he appears to already to have his place nailed on in the side? whilst Noble is out I can maybe see this is right, but will it change with the return of Noble?

For me Elliot (all be it from the few times I have seen him) looks to have everything LJ has (goals / creativity and a good engine) with the added extra's of height, heading, pace and a good tackle.

I will go and don my tin helmet as I realise I am committing the cardinal sin of knocking a Johnson!

Whilst there are those who think he shouldnt be playing simply because of his last name, i think that he is probably the best midfielder of his type that is currently fit at the club at the moment so therefore plays. Him and Noble are both very good footballers and when Noble is fit again, it would be interesting to see how he will be used. I think playing him just off Trundle with LJ and Elliot in the middle of midfield will be brilliant attcking wise and also good defending wise with Elliot.

Also to fit into the equation are the wingers. Murray, Sproule, McIndoe and Brian Wilson (after his performance saturday!). GJ is going to find it hard to keep all 4 happy this season, whic, can be a good thing as there is healthy competition for places.

I think LJ is essential for us to stay in this league. He is constantly available and in space as an outlet for other players, anywhere on the pitch. Last match was a case in point, so often our players needed an easy outlet and were under pressure and there he was. He placed some excellent passes and scroed a goal. His attitude his top drawer, he wants to play for City. Every non-City fan I have spoken to see who as see LJ rates him very highly.and I'd be gutted to see him sit any game out for City. Who cares what his last name is, the guy is great for the team. Him and Elliot in midfield, with Noble just in front of them, just off Trundle, Sproule and McIndoe wide would be a very very good midfield.

I agree..

Your not saying the bloke is crap or saying that he has nothing to offer but there are elements of his game that are very frustrating to watch, as sometimes he does nt think about where the ball is going after it leaves his foot, or if he does think where it is going more often than not there isnt a player to recieve the ball..

i do like lee johnson but i feel that if he stops trying to please the crowd with little flicks and consentrated on the basics a bit more i think he would be a far better player

I agree..

Your not saying the bloke is crap or saying that he has nothing to offer but there are elements of his game that are very frustrating to watch, as sometimes he does nt think about where the ball is going after it leaves his foot, or if he does think where it is going more often than not there isnt a player to recieve the ball..

i do like lee johnson but i feel that if he stops trying to please the crowd with little flicks and consentrated on the basics a bit more i think he would be a far better player

I don't..

I appreciate everyone has a right to an opinion so I'll have mine.

This thread is just a blatant & cheap attack on LJ for being GJ's son, pretty sad really.

As loyal red pointed out, its hilarious people will single him out for criticism and not even alow into consideration his contribution to the game with his goal, thats like saying Basso is crap despite him keeping consistent clean sheets. WTF?

Can i add Lee gets ZERO special treatment from his Dad, on the contray in fact, he has to work just that little bit harder so there can be no doubt his position in the side is on merit and that alone.

And does anyone really think GJ would hinder the Clubs chances by picking a player who is not worthy of his slot?, get a grip!

Maybe LJ is not quite Scholesy, but hes one of our best central midfield player and we are, after all, just Bristol City and don't quite have the ability to attract world class players yet, so i apologize on lees behalf about trying to put on good displays and scoring goals, he should really consult with you before trying anything like that.

I don't..

This thread is just a blatant & cheap attack on LJ for being GJ's son, pretty sad really.

As loyal red pointed out, its hilarious people will single him out for criticism and not even alow into consideration his contribution to the game with his goal, thats like saying Basso is crap despite him keeping consistent clean sheets. WTF?

Can i add Lee gets ZERO special treatment from his Dad, on the contray in fact, he has to work just that little bit harder so there can be no doubt his position in the side is on merit and that alone.

And does anyone really think GJ would hinder the Clubs chances by picking a player who is not worthy of his slot?, get a grip!

Maybe LJ is not quite Scholesy, but hes one of our best central midfield player and we are, after all, just Bristol City and don't quite have the ability to attract world class players yet, so i apologize on lees behalf about trying to put on good displays and scoring goals, he should really consult with you before trying anything like that.

Absolutely right and i'm not sure where Brady Bunch gets the ridiculous idea of 'pretty obvious nepotism'???

WHY DON'T PEOPLE LEAVE HIM ALONE. THERE ARE WORSE PLAYERS IN THE SIDE.

I CERTAINLY RATE HIM. I WOULD UNDERSRAND IT IF YOU HAD A GO AT SKUSE, HE NEVER SCORES ANY GOALS OR EVEN LOOKS LIKE SCORING.

I KNOW HES MORE OF A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER, BUT THE AMOUNT OF GAMES HE HAS PLAYED HE SHOULD HAVE SCORED A FEW GOALS BY NOW!

THE ONLY ONE I CAN REMEMBER IS A PENALTY.

I PUT NOBLE, LJ AND RUSSELL AHEAD OF SKUSE.

THE GAME IS ALL ABOUT OPINIONS THATS WHY EVEN GJ PLAYS SKUSE AHEAD OF MOST OTHER PLAYERS, WHEN HES FIT.

I'D RATHER BE TRYING TO WIN THE GAME WITH LJ THEN ONCE WELL AHEAD BRING SKUSE ON TO SHORE IT UP FOR THE WIN.

i FIND THE GAMES HE PLAYS IN ARE THE BORING ONES.

LJ DOES MAKE SOME MISTAKES AT TIMES BUT THATS FOOTBALL. I LOVE HIS EXCITING ENERGY IN GAMES WHERE ALL HE WANTS TO DO IS WIN.

UP AND UP THE CITY!!!!!!!!

I like Johnson, don't care who's son he is.

However, despite the goal, he gave the ball away a few times Saturday and he seems to have a prevalence of doing so. On the plus side, he scores some important goals, wins balls, and knows how to push a penatrating pass through the eye of a needle sometimes. He keeps his place in my book... for now.

I like Johnson, don't care who's son he is.

However, despite the goal, he gave the ball away a few times Saturday and he seems to have a prevalence of doing so. On the plus side, he scores some important goals, wins balls, and knows how to push a penatrating pass through the eye of a needle sometimes. He keeps his place in my book... for now.

definatly.

People have to remember all players struggle to get their game back together at the start of the season. This happens year after year!

I definatly want him playing for us not against us!

I don't..

Look I'm not trying to slag him off or single him out or i havent said he gets special treatment cause his dad is the manager, like you said, we trust Gary Johnson to pick our best starting XI and that is what he does week in week out.. and i do think lee johnson is a good player and was a key member of our promotion winning side and still is a key member of our championship side..

I'm just saying that he can be frustrating from time to time because he has options to play simple balls but chooses not to which in result loses us possesion of the ball.. and in this league any loss of possesion in the middle can result in a goal against..

After all, we are all entitled to an opinion arent we?

Look I'm not trying to slag him off or single him out or i havent said he gets special treatment cause his dad is the manager, like you said, we trust Gary Johnson to pick our best starting XI and that is what he does week in week out.. and i do think lee johnson is a good player and was a key member of our promotion winning side and still is a key member of our championship side..

I'm just saying that he can be frustrating from time to time because he has options to play simple balls but chooses not to which in result loses us possesion of the ball.. and in this league any loss of possesion in the middle can result in a goal against..

I take your point mjc, I'm not trying flame anyone here, just giving my two cents i suppose, So yes of course everyone has an entitlement to an opinion, guess its whats so good about a forum. we might not all see eye to eye but its what makes people read and contribute. :city:

Anyways, Brady bunch knew he could come in for some stick for posting this thread, but posted anyway, i admire that yet have no sympathy.

I tend not to start thread for this exact reason. :whistle:

The nepotism argument is old and tired. LJ showed quite clearly last season that he was worth his place in the side, there's just no mileage in the suggestion he's only in the side because of his dad. He had one of the highest numbers of assists in league one last season and scored a few too. He delivers decent set pieces and his play in the final third is generally productive, he also has a habit of scoring important goals. Who would you suggest playing in front of him?

LJ is, of course, not perfect. He has faults in his game - like trying ambitious passes too often and lacking strength. I do have concerns about whether he fits well in 442 at this level because he's typically not great defensively. However, I honestly can't believe that anyone who watched him play last season thinks he's only in the side due to nepotism. When Noble and Skuse are fit the central midfield starting places will be highly competed for as they should be and I firmly believe who GJ selects will be down to form.

Guest ashtonyate
The nepotism argument is old and tired. LJ showed quite clearly last season that he was worth his place in the side, there's just no mileage in the suggestion he's only in the side because of his dad. He had one of the highest numbers of assists in league one last season and scored a few too. He delivers decent set pieces and his play in the final third is generally productive, he also has a habit of scoring important goals. Who would you suggest playing in front of him?

LJ is, of course, not perfect. He has faults in his game - like trying ambitious passes too often and lacking strength. I do have concerns about whether he fits well in 442 at this level because he's typically not great defensively. However, I honestly can't believe that anyone who watched him play last season thinks he's only in the side due to nepotism. When Noble and Skuse are fit the central midfield starting places will be highly competed for as they should be and I firmly believe who GJ selects will be down to form.

Johnson would be in my team very good player nearly prem class

Would like to see us go back to the 4-5-1 formation from last year with Noble, Johnson and Elliot all included

If Noble gets fit I wouldn't be surprised to see us playing that way away from home particularly with McIndoe and Sproule/Murray joining the attack from either wing.

WHY DON'T PEOPLE LEAVE HIM ALONE. THERE ARE WORSE PLAYERS IN THE SIDE.

I CERTAINLY RATE HIM. I WOULD UNDERSRAND IT IF YOU HAD A GO AT SKUSE, HE NEVER SCORES ANY GOALS OR EVEN LOOKS LIKE SCORING.

I KNOW HES MORE OF A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER, BUT THE AMOUNT OF GAMES HE HAS PLAYED HE SHOULD HAVE SCORED A FEW GOALS BY NOW!

THE ONLY ONE I CAN REMEMBER IS A PENALTY.

I PUT NOBLE, LJ AND RUSSELL AHEAD OF SKUSE.

Is it just me or do the majority of fans on here only rate players if they can score goals? There are so many people on here who think Noble is awesome but apart from scoring 2 against Rotherham in the final game and the goal against Middlesboro in the FA Cup away he has been fairly average.

IMO Johnson gives the ball away far too much but because he scores the odd lucky goal every few months he is again highly rated by most fans.

Skuse doesnt score goals but then it isnt his job too. I swear if Makelele was offered to us on a free and we signed him that we would have people on here moaning that he doesnt score enough goals!!

I would have to agree with you, if he took a bit more care with his passing, he could play at a higher level. There must have been at least 5 simple passes that should have found their target that went awol on saturday and thats something he needs to work on, although in fairness, I am sure he knows they went astray and understands that it does need addressing. I don't think GJ would only pick Lee because it is his son though.

Si.

Surely if if someone has a terrible game but scores the winning or contributing goals then they're adding value to the team?

If LJ or any other player was dire for 89 minutes but pops up to score an injury time winner then thats fine with me!

One Team

I disagree. If all you do in 90 minutes is score a goal and you are a midfielder then you should be dropped. So by your reasoning then the opposition could have scored 4 because the midielder doesnt track back or tackle but thats ok as long as he scores?

By the way, i am not talking about Lee.

I disagree. If all you do in 90 minutes is score a goal and you are a midfielder then you should be dropped. So by your reasoning then the opposition could have scored 4 because the midielder doesnt track back or tackle but thats ok as long as he scores?

By the way, i am not talking about Lee.

No thats not what I'm saying (or indeed said).

I'm saying its fine with me if the player has contributed goals in a winning side or the winning goal but still played terribly.

In your scenario that would be an unacceptable performance.

Its all about winning.

Get my drift?

One Team

I agree..

Same sort of thing could be said for all of our other players otherwise they would be playing at a much higher level.

No thats not what I'm saying (or indeed said).

I'm saying its fine with me if the player has contributed goals in a winning side or the winning goal but still played terribly.

In your scenario that would be an unacceptable performance.

Its all about winning.

Get my drift?

One Team

But surley if he is having a bad game it doesnt matter if he scores, he should have been substituted, as maybe the player coming on will do more?

I said all this after Saturdays game, he gave the ball away on numerous occasions and put our defense under unnecessary pressure. I do think he's half decent but wonder if Skuse,Elliott,Noble or Russell played that badly if they would play the next game??

I said all this after Saturdays game, he gave the ball away on numerous occasions and put our defense under unnecessary pressure. I do think he's half decent but wonder if Skuse,Elliott,Noble or Russell played that badly if they would play the next game??

Blimey, didn't take you long did it?

Jevons - 'won't score 4 goals this season' - has a decent game so it's find semeone else to victimise.

I don't think that LJ gets preferential treatment, his presence in our side is mirrored by results, when that changes it might be worth pointing it out.

Perhaps if we tried supporting instead of moaning, our players would also perform better.

Who's next?

I obviously think LJ is fantastic!

I think Noble found his role in the attacking midfield/second striker and therefore isn't in competition with LJ anymore. Noble for instance wasn't included when GJ went through his central midfield options when Elliot signed.

Archived