shipdrinker

Daily Star states that

"Garry Johnson is ready to offer

Sheff Utd striker Christian Nade a

Championship Lifeline after he

was told he had no future at Bramall Lane"

Comments?????????

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=43956

Do we need another striker at this moment? Jevo, Brooker and Sproule still yet to play. Unless we assume that Trundle won't cut it I think we have a few options to be tried.

Do we need another striker at this moment? Jevo, Brooker and Sproule still yet to play. Unless we assume that Trundle won't cut it I think we have a few options to be tried.

Yes...

Brooker looks ######ed!! Ill be surprised if he plays again at this rate. Just seen on SSN that Mark Delaney of Aston Villa has retired due to a knee injury...Brooker next?

Jevons is shite!! (IMO)

Sproule is a winger!!

Yes...

Brooker looks ######ed!! Ill be surprised if he plays again at this rate. Just seen on SSN that Mark Delaney of Aston Villa has retired due to a knee injury...Brooker next?

Brooker is not dead yet, close to it, but might make a miraculous recovery.

Jevons is shite!! (IMO)

Jevo didn't do it last season but was still top scorer, I think he should be given a chance.

Sproule is a winger!!

Sproule is a winger, so is Murray, but they can play through the middle with their pace.

I seem to have forgoten about Noble playing behind one of the strikers as another option.

Scored 12 goals in 71 starts for Hibs......He's not a striker!

I accept he could possibly fill in there but week in week out. No.

Some of his best performances for Hibs were as a striker, its a wonder their gaffer didn't play him there more often.

Seeing as we already have Murray and Betsy on the right it would make more sense to try him up front.

Guest ashtonyate
Yes...

Jevons is shite!! (IMO)

Sproule is a winger!!

I sit in the Williams on Saturday Brooker walked past and someone ask him when will he be back and he said a couple of weeks and this was not a friend of a friends lover this was from the player

Some of his best performances for Hibs were as a striker, its a wonder their gaffer didn't play him there more often.

Seeing as we already have Murray and Betsy on the right it would make more sense to try him up front.

Other than 30 minutes against Rangers 2 years ago when he came on as a substitute and scored a hatrick playing on the break, what other good performances as a striker are you aware of?

Because from what I've read from Hibs fans he isn't a striker and didn't play up front.

We shouldn't be trying to put square pegs in round holes.

I sit in the Williams on Saturday Brooker walked past and someone ask him when will he be back and he said a couple of weeks and this was not a friend of a friends lover this was from the player

I hope he's right but he's been out for a hell of a long time, I wouldn't be surprised if he broke down again in trianing or a match. I have bad vibes about Brookers future....

Other than 30 minutes against Rangers 2 years ago when he came on as a substitute and scored a hatrick playing on the break, what other good performances as a striker are you aware of?

Because from what I've read from Hibs fans he isn't a striker and didn't play up front.

We shouldn't be trying to put square pegs in round holes.

Ah you beat me to it!!

Guest ashtonyate
I hope he's right but he's been out for a hell of a long time, I wouldn't be surprised if he broke down again in trianing or a match. I have bad vibes about Brookers future....

I like Brooker he always gives everything and hope he can get fit and stay fit but he needs competition for his place at the moment he is the only really option for that place. Showunmi is more of a wide player and too light weight in that position

Good job a certain Mr Wenger doesnt use your theory about wingers cant play up front.

Or Mr Henrys career might of been slightly different.

In my opinion there's not that much difference in an attacking winger to a roaming striker.

I like the idea of trying him there, if he does tend to take up wider forward positions than we're used too from a striker

at least he'll be a pain to mark and also leave gaps for our midfield to run into.

I'm not saying it should be week in week out but i feel at this level we need a plan b and c at least.

We'll be sussed out very quick if we try the same thing every game.

Good job a certain Mr Wenger doesnt use your theory about wingers cant play up front.

Or Mr Henrys career might of been slightly different.

Actually that only helps prove my point. Henry was a striker all the way through his development until he moved from Monaco to Juventus and there they wasted him on the wing for a season. Wenger bought him to play up front and played him up front.

In my opinion there's not that much difference in an attacking winger to a roaming striker.

I like the idea of trying him there, if he does tend to take up wider forward positions than we're used too from a striker

at least he'll be a pain to mark and also leave gaps for our midfield to run into.

There's a massive difference between a winger and a roaming striker and that difference is the job. A striker needs to be thinking about getting into positions to score goals not beating people to create chances like a winger. Being quick doesn't make him a pain to mark, he'd probably be easy to mark playing out of position because he wouldn't have practised ability to lose himself at the right time and find space that any good striker needs.

I'm not saying it should be week in week out but i feel at this level we need a plan b and c at least.

We'll be sussed out very quick if we try the same thing every game.

I'm sure we'll try him up front at some point but it will be done infrequently and off the bench to try and change things up, very much as a plan b or c. I've no objection to that but I think we need to sign a *striker* with pace and having a couple of wingers who might be able to do the odd job there isn't a good reason not to.

Please see my other post. Saw GJ at Brentford and he said he isnt confident about getting anymore strikers to come in and Sproule was signed to play as a STRIKER. So all this Nade/Byfield stuff is paper talk.

Guest ashtonyate
Please see my other post. Saw GJ at Brentford and he said he isnt confident about getting anymore strikers to come in and Sproule was signed to play as a STRIKER. So all this Nade/Byfield stuff is paper talk.

Is it giveing the team options which all teams need, we got a forward line of Deedee men a part from showunmi who is not the answer. Perhaps we should get Ken Dodd as Manager with his tickling stick he could make there forward line laugh there self to destruction

Is it giveing the team options which all teams need, we got a forward line of Deedee men a part from showunmi who is not the answer. Perhaps we should get Ken Dodd as Manager with his tickling stick he could make there forward line laugh there self to destruction

I'd stick with the victor meldrew impressions, as comedy is not your strong point .

Actually that only helps prove my point. Henry was a striker all the way through his development until he moved from Monaco to Juventus and there they wasted him on the wing for a season. Wenger bought him to play up front and played him up front.

There's a massive difference between a winger and a roaming striker and that difference is the job. A striker needs to be thinking about getting into positions to score goals not beating people to create chances like a winger. Being quick doesn't make him a pain to mark, he'd probably be easy to mark playing out of position because he wouldn't have practised ability to lose himself at the right time and find space that any good striker needs.

I'm sure we'll try him up front at some point but it will be done infrequently and off the bench to try and change things up, very much as a plan b or c. I've no objection to that but I think we need to sign a *striker* with pace and having a couple of wingers who might be able to do the odd job there isn't a good reason not to.

Who said anything about him being easy to mark because he's quick?

My point is (and i've seen it numerous times with our own defence) that if he starts to drift out wide someone will have to pick him up.

Defenders would much prefer to stick to there man they've been given, so either they go with him or pass him on, thus either removing a centre half out of position or making them communicate with there full backs to pick up.

The more we can make there defence think the more spaces and chances should come.

And as for not having a strikers mentality thats a load of rubbish.

These are pro footballers we're talking about not park players.

So once your given a position you havent the mentality to change?

Chris Sutton didnt do too bad bad up front for a centre half did he.

These are pro footballers we're talking about not park players.

So once your given a position you havent the mentality to change?

Chris Sutton didnt do too bad bad up front for a centre half did he.

Didn't say that players can't change positions but if a player has played in a certain position for their whole career it's not easy to change habits. It can be overcome - easier if done younger though. How many players in their late twenties switch positions successfully? I can only think of a few. Plus, some things are instinctive and simply can't be taught - the goalscoring instinct that puts players in the right place at the right time is one of them IMO.

I agree that if he plays up front and drops off or out wide it may lead to more chances but I don't think creating chances is going to be our problem. With Two wingers and LJ in the side, we'll create plenty. Scoring them will be the issue. Enoch already does similar things to what you're suggesting.

Sutton was switched to a striker very early in his career by a manager who'd worked with him for years. That's very different to buying a player who has played prodominantly in one position to try him in another.

I think we need a player alongside Trundle who scores regular goals, if that's Sproule then great but I think it's a big gamble hoping it will work out that way. If he was capable of doing so why weren't Hibs playing him there? They weren't exactly flush with goalscoring forwards.

Didn't say that players can't change positions but if a player has played in a certain position for their whole career it's not easy to change habits. It can be overcome - easier if done younger though. How many players in their late twenties switch positions successfully? I can only think of a few. Plus, some things are instinctive and simply can't be taught - the goalscoring instinct that puts players in the right place at the right time is one of them IMO.

I agree that if he plays up front and drops off or out wide it may lead to more chances but I don't think creating chances is going to be our problem. With Two wingers and LJ in the side, we'll create plenty. Scoring them will be the issue. Enoch already does similar things to what you're suggesting.

Sutton was switched to a striker very early in his career by a manager who'd worked with him for years. That's very different to buying a player who has played prodominantly in one position to try him in another.

I think we need a player alongside Trundle who scores regular goals, if that's Sproule then great but I think it's a big gamble hoping it will work out that way. If he was capable of doing so why weren't Hibs playing him there? They weren't exactly flush with goalscoring forwards.

I have to agree that if your looking for that out and out striker/poacher type who plays 90mins in the box, then yes maybe that is more instinct than other types of forward roles.

Not saying he couldnt do that but i've a feeling he would struggle to take on that type of forward role without roaming out wide.

Archived