IGNORED

Ex-england Manager

Chivs

OK, so when was the last time an ex-England manager managed a club at AG?

We currently have a previous City player as an ex-England manager (surely McClaren will be sacked soon :dunno: ) but who was the last ex-England manager at AG? I have a vague feeling that Graham Taylor may have come down after he'd turned into a turnip?!?

I'm not sure why all the fuss about Sven. I clearly haven't caught the national mood to venerate Sven. Whilst his qualification record was second to none (althought the oppo was hardly tough), his major tournament record was poor. I will remember him for his poor handling of Beckham and his non-handling of Lampard/Gerrard. But most of all I cannot forgive him for taking a child to the world cup whom he had not seen play.

As far as I'm concerned, at AG, Sven is Persona Non Grata. Thumbs down.

• Admin
OK, so when was the last time an ex-England manager managed a club at AG?

We currently have a previous City player as an ex-England manager (surely McClaren will be sacked soon :dunno: ) but who was the last ex-England manager at AG? I have a vague feeling that Graham Taylor may have come down after he'd turned into a turnip?!?

I'm not sure why all the fuss about Sven. I clearly haven't caught the national mood to venerate Sven. Whilst his qualification record was second to none (althought the oppo was hardly tough), his major tournament record was poor. I will remember him for his poor handling of Beckham and his non-handling of Lampard/Gerrard. But most of all I cannot forgive him for taking a child to the world cup whom he had not seen play.

As far as I'm concerned, at AG, Sven is Persona Non Grata. Thumbs down.

I thought the national mood was to vilify Sven, which you then went on to do quite nicely. It feels like everyone is waiting for him to ***k up so they can say "I told you so"....

Truth is, he's a very good club manager who failed with England, but then again, who doesn't?

I have no strong feelings either way towards him though I'm sure when he visits AG some in the Williams Stand will take the opportunity to inform him of their feelings towards him.

I thought the national mood was to vilify Sven, which you then went on to do quite nicely. It feels like everyone is waiting for him to ***k up so they can say "I told you so"....

Truth is, he's a very good club manager who failed with England, but then again, who doesn't?

I have no strong feelings either way towards him though I'm sure when he visits AG some in the Williams Stand will take the opportunity to inform him of their feelings towards him.

I agree. I think Sven is a great manager with a proven club record. Unfortunately, our over paid, club 1st, country second, WAG loving internationals let him, and us down. He will prove a lot of people wrong this year.

He is better than that twonk we have at the helm now :englandsmile4wf:

I think you're out of date Madger. The national mood was certainly to vilify Sven when he was national manager (but this is the default setting for RedTop tabloids and the ENgland manager) but today I gather a lot of people (like you) pointing out that he is a good club manager.

Sven was the best of a very bad lot. If you put average managers (McClaren dear god) in charge, don't expect success.

Scholari wouldn't fail.

I can't say I'm too exercised by him either. OK so, on a personal level, he's a morally corrupt cheat but that's no reason to dislike him. ;)

Probably true, but you'd think we'd have the players to beat Israel wouldn't you?

Yes you would, unfortunately their commitment to the cause is not on the same level as the fans. Overpaid, overhyped and overated the majority.

I have just watched Liverpool v Toulouse in the Champs league and believe me they were poor!

concerning the last ex-england manager to be againest us at ashton gate

i swear i remeber seeing Terry Venables taking his Crystal Palace side at ashton gate in our last relegation season. I remember sitting right behind the away duggout as a 10 year old at the time

Personally I can't wait to see one of the most gifted and talented international managers in Europe lead his side out at Ashton Gate....

....and I wouldn't mind seeing Sven Goran Eriksson lead his side out either! :rofl2br:

If you actually look at Sven's record as an England manager it was very good. He qualified for every major tournament, his winning percentage is comparable to Greenwood and Ramsey and he lost a lower proportion of games than both.

Sven's downfall was the English press giving him a hard time over not fulfilling unrealistic expectations based on an overhyped Premiership. The womanizing stuff just meant they didn't have to completely fabricate their ammunition which I'm sure they would have done otherwise.

He did make some decisions that turned out to be wrong and sometimes it was frustrating to watch the side not play at the pace we know they're capable of but really the media and the people who believe everything they read in the tabloids are our worst enemy when it comes to having a successful national side.

concerning the last ex-england manager to be againest us at ashton gate

i swear i remeber seeing Terry Venables taking his Crystal Palace side at ashton gate in our last relegation season. I remember sitting right behind the away duggout as a 10 year old at the time

Although El Tel's England days were of course fifteen years or so in the future at that point. I know, I know, I should get out more ...

I reckon the last ex-England manager at the Gate would have been Peter Taylor with the Under-21s - and he'll be back again with Palace in February.

I think certain sections of the press were just waiting to have a go at Sven whenever he failed due to the fact he wasn't English and wasn't mates with various reporters beforehand (see Venables and Jeff Powell at the Mail).

In contrast to Sven, both Venables and Bobby Robson are seen as successes for England, when infact they were no great shakes. Under Venables we played some mind-numbing games prior to Euro 96 - a tourmament in which we only actually won 2 games. Yes, we did reach the semis (and were unlucky not to beat the Germans), but we did have home advantage.

With Robson, he was very lucky to guide us to the semis in Italia '90. We deserved to lose both the second round and QFs in Italy (against Belgium and Cameroon) - and it was only due to player pressure than we switched to a formation the players were happy with and succeeded. Prior to Italia 90, we had failed abysmally in Euro '88. Before Italia 90 - and throughout the 80s - the press were on Robson's back all the time.

By the way, I'm by no means defending the sh1te that was served up by our "golden generation" of players last summer in Germany, just that, as mentioned above, Sven has a better record than most recent managers. At least we were never in danger of not qualifying under him, like we are now.

Also, some of the tabloid stories about Sven have been ridiculous. The whole "fake sheikh" thing in the Screws - when they basically vilified him for possibly being interested in another job, when it was already confirmed he was leaving England in the summer anyway, was a complete non-story.

And I think it must have been Peter Taylor when he was Brighton manager that was the last ex-England manager to visit the gate. If not, then G Taylor, in the season we went straight back down the last time we were in the Championship/League 1.

Archived