IGNORED

Scott Murray

RedTop

If anyone needed more evidence that Scott Murray is a crucial part of this football club, off the pitch as well as on it, the interview on the official website has it in spades.

We all know he's a great player and character, and that's he's fantastic as a cheery, public-friendly face of the club, but if only every player had the same attitude: "If I sulked every time I was dropped then I'd probably be back home driving a forklift...you've got to remain focused and keep your head down...I've been a professional for 14 years and being on the bench is not the worst experience I've ever had." That's about as far from Steve Phillips' self-destruction as possible, which explains why one is playing in the Championship and the other can count himself lucky to be in Division One despite having bag-loads of ability.

I'll tell you what, when Scotty's finished as a player I hope we hang on to him in some coaching capacity or other because he's exactly the sort of guy you need around young lads in a dressing room. He's not just a top bloke, he's got his head screwed on, and if some of his wisdom rubs off on the younger lads around him (which is most of them, these days!) then we can look forward to more good times ahead.

Oh, and he's aiming for 46 goals this season from the bench. Which would be nice. :winner_third_h4h:

If anyone needed more evidence that Scott Murray is a crucial part of this football club, off the pitch as well as on it, the interview on the official website has it in spades.

We all know he's a great player and character, and that's he's fantastic as a cheery, public-friendly face of the club, but if only every player had the same attitude: "If I sulked every time I was dropped then I'd probably be back home driving a forklift...you've got to remain focused and keep your head down...I've been a professional for 14 years and being on the bench is not the worst experience I've ever had." That's about as far from Steve Phillips' self-destruction as possible, which explains why one is playing in the Championship and the other can count himself lucky to be in Division One despite having bag-loads of ability.

I'll tell you what, when Scotty's finished as a player I hope we hang on to him in some coaching capacity or other because he's exactly the sort of guy you need around young lads in a dressing room. He's not just a top bloke, he's got his head screwed on, and if some of his wisdom rubs off on the younger lads around him (which is most of them, these days!) then we can look forward to more good times ahead.

Oh, and he's aiming for 46 goals this season from the bench. Which would be nice. :winner_third_h4h:

My thoughts exactly when I heard that. It's been a pleasure having him at the club - some of his 91 goals have been superb. Glad he's still getting them! He has this knack of getting into the right positions and not panicking - if he could teach that he'd probably have a job for life!

spot on, many questioned the renewing of his contract at end of last season, but personally never thought it was even subject up for consideration, on field we have seen what he has done, but off the field him and carey boss the dressing room and unlike past players they do it in the right way, they are 2 characters at the club that always keep people smiling and motivated. Johnson and Lansdown have both said it himselfs that they can't imagine City without Scott Murray in the dressing room.

he's grown as a player and a person with city, let's be honest, how many of us would have said the same thing about him 7-8 years ago back in his days with Cramby!

Top Player and Top Bloke! not many players have been so popular with so many!

Agree entirely RT, he is a credit to himself and to Bristol City.

His attitude when he came on Saturday was first class, particularly considering he played well up at Brentford and, like Jevons, could have reasonably expected a start.

I've seen Scotty having time for anyone that wants to talk to him and I've seen him exchanging pleasantries with old ladies who probably don't even realise who he is. Seems a top bloke.

Another great thing about him is he is one of the few players nowadays that doesnt use agents. :clapping:

Agree entirely RT, he is a credit to himself and to Bristol City.

His attitude when he came on Saturday was first class, particularly considering he played well up at Brentford and, like Jevons, could have reasonably expected a start.

I've seen Scotty having time for anyone that wants to talk to him and I've seen him exchanging pleasantries with old ladies who probably don't even realise who he is. Seems a top bloke.

Another great thing about him is he is one of the few players nowadays that doesnt use agents. :clapping:

Simply put. Scott Murray is Mr "Bristol City". Despite being from Scotland, he loves this club with his whole heart and, as he's said many times, he cant imagine finishing his career anywhere but ashton gate. 1 thing that i do have to question though, is whether it would be wise to give him a coaching role straight after retiring. Would it not be better to leave it 2 or 3 years then bring him back? We all know what happened with Tinnion, OK granted he went straight in as manager but could the same thing happen with Scotty?

Simply put. Scott Murray is Mr "Bristol City". Despite being from Scotland, he loves this club with his whole heart and, as he's said many times, he cant imagine finishing his career anywhere but ashton gate. 1 thing that i do have to question though, is whether it would be wise to give him a coaching role straight after retiring. Would it not be better to leave it 2 or 3 years then bring him back? We all know what happened with Tinnion, OK granted he went straight in as manager but could the same thing happen with Scotty?

A model pro. He has been my favourite player at City for many years - a great bloke, and one of the best players we have ever had. He deserves recognition by the club for what he has done for us, and I think a coaching role for him when he retires is a certainty. He would be a fantastic example for the academy lads for a few years until he is ready for the main job, if GJ no longer wanted that is..

I can imagine him doing a great job as the pitch announcer, Scotty with the mic in his hand pre-match, could get the whole ground singing before the lads ran out on the pitch!!! What an atmosophere he could get inside the ground!

Although, he may have another season or two in him as Super sub... :fingerscrossed:

A model pro. He has been my favourite player at City for many years - a great bloke, and one of the best players we have ever had. He deserves recognition by the club for what he has done for us, and I think a coaching role for him when he retires is a certainty. He would be a fantastic example for the academy lads for a few years until he is ready for the main job, if GJ no longer wanted that is..

I can imagine him doing a great job as the pitch announcer, Scotty with the mic in his hand pre-match, could get the whole ground singing before the lads ran out on the pitch!!! What an atmosophere he could get inside the ground!

Although, he may have another season or two in him as Super sub... :fingerscrossed:

I don't think what Scott does well requires him to be manager, just part of the set-up. I could easily see him joining the coaching staff. That said, he'd make a fantastic announcer. DaveL start looking over your shoulder if Scotty doesn't get another deal as a player...it'll be caber tossing at half time, the Bay City Rollers on the PA system and the cheerleaders dressed in mini-kilts..

One other thing. I've long suspected that the fact Scotty is so great with people may be the secret to him winning the MotM award even on some of his off days. If you were a sponsor about to meet the winner and hand over the ball, you'd want a player you knew was going to be good value. And Scotty is as good value off it as he is on it.

Sir Scott Murray.

Devestated when he left, over the moon when he decided to re-join us. Goes to show he loves this club. I'd love for him to score his 100th goal for us down here. He's not fussed where he plays, whether it be in goal or from the subs bench. I hope he has another 3/4 years in him. Is there a possibility for him to break Tinman's appearence record?

Regards to him as a coach, I'd like to see him as an assistant manager. He would be comical on the sideline, whilst taking it all seriously. Though I'd have him as a PA announcer over that Dave Lloyd. Scott and Louis will most likely have jobs for life when they retire.

Spot on. I've got endless amounts of time for this man. I see him regularly as I'm working in Congresbury and he always says hello.

When my littleun was playing in the junior academy trials he turned up there one evening and spent over an hour shaking all the kids hands, signing shirts and certificates and talking to them all. He's a legend and a role model for anyone

Archived