IGNORED

Prozone

boadle

Good friends with someone who used to work for Prozone. He started at the bottom (tracking movements etc) and worked his way up to quality control by the time most of the tracking was farmed out to abroad. He say it has it's uses but if he was a manager he'd probably find better uses for the money it cost the clubs, which is significant. Said many big teams spend £££ on it, only to not use the information 80% of the time. Also said that some big club managers don't use it but subscribe anyway just because other big clubs do!

Good friends with someone who used to work for Prozone. He started at the bottom (tracking movements etc) and worked his way up to quality control by the time most of the tracking was farmed out to abroad. He say it has it's uses but if he was a manager he'd probably find better uses for the money it cost the clubs, which is significant. Said many big teams spend £££ on it, only to not use the information 80% of the time. Also said that some big club managers don't use it but subscribe anyway just because other big clubs do!

Interesting. Any idea how it tracks the player movements? Do they all have some kind of signal emitters on their person, or do 11 staff members have to track them on a laptop?

Interesting. Any idea how it tracks the player movements? Do they all have some kind of signal emitters on their person, or do 11 staff members have to track them on a laptop?

They have people manally click the feet of a player as they move around the pitch, so yes people with laptops (but it's not done in real time but over night after the games usually). Other information is collected as well and is found out in the same manner. I don't know if they follow each player with caear or what, just that they track their feet movement by clicking around once or twice a second at their feet or something. Passing, shooting, heading and dribbling info is logged as well, but i think different people do different items like that. This is seond hand info mind, so it might not be 100% right, but I do know they work all night doing it all (or used to before it all went abroad).

If clubs only use the information about 80% of the time, then that's a reasonably high percentage! Systems like that are never going to be completely fail-safe, but they have to be a help. Any support you can get has to be beneficial...

What my friend told me was that some club DON'T use it 80% of the time, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I agree, any help is positive, but the point he found funny was that Premiership sides would be shelling out 40K+ a week for one or two sets of game info, only to have some managers ignore it all. It all came up in a conversation about Martin O'Learey while he was Aston Villa manager. He was complaining in the press about Doug Ellis not supporting him financially, but my friend knew that O'Learey had just ordered ProZone a week before and had it greenlighted at a cost of around 500k set up and 40K a week, with about 10 weeks of data being retrospectively put together and paid. He wondered what more Ellis might have to do before his manager stopped moaning to the press about lack of support.

It sounds like a really inefficient system. Surely it would be cheaper in the long run to attach tags to all the players?

No wonder it costs so much when some bloke sits there constantly tracking someone's movements with a laptop.

Do they analyse all the players all the time, or would the manager make a selection of players to be tracked?

It sounds like a really inefficient system. Surely it would be cheaper in the long run to attach tags to all the players?

No wonder it costs so much when some bloke sits there constantly tracking someone's movements with a laptop.

Do they analyse all the players all the time, or would the manager make a selection of players to be tracked?

Agreed, there must be a tech company out there who could do something like this, then undercut Prozone by 50% and make a killing. If I was any good at science I'd have a go myself! "Tagging" each player should also make it possible to view player stats in real time, allowing managers to base substitutions/half time team talks on it etc.

Archived