IGNORED

Singalong Day

RedTop

No music for half an hour before the game against Burnley - and presumably no music when we score (Can you confirm that bit, Dave?). Dave L and the club are to be congratulated for trying something different.

The lack of interference when the goals go in will be a welcomed by the many of us who feel it is a patronizing, artificial Disneyfication that breaks the spell at the one moment in a game when something to create atmosphere is least needed. If there was one thing I could change about the football 'experience' itself, as some people are so keen to call it these days, this would be it.

But no music for half an hour before? I'm not so sure that will work well in these days when most of us are guaranteed our seat and have a routine that involves supping pints etc until ten minutes before kick-off. In the old days of terracing, we had no choice but to get in early to bag our spot, and the to-and-fro chanting and singing between home and away fans was the only way to entertain yourself. There's no doubt it built up atmosphere, and sometimes the game itself was merely the climax of two or three hours of exciting build-up. I really hope and pray it does work, but also hope that if the music-free goal celebrations are a hit and the pre-match period is not, due to a lack of people in the ground etc, the club does not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I think it's a good idea and have done for a while, it's so difficult for any atmosphere to build up when you can't hear what anyone else is singing because someone is blaring Take That over the speakers at full volume. Nothing wrong with allowing a bit of banter between the opposition fans.

Do agree that half hour might be a bit much though. I'd let the ground fill up a bit more first. (unless it was a big game, when alot of people get there earlier anyway)

Guest Garfunkle

good idea but maybe better to test it in a high profile game say sheff utd as thats quite soon and is live on sky? as a 5.15 k/o they could put all the ft's on the scoreboard which could also help generate the atmosphere

Archived