IGNORED

For Churchill Ciderhead Re Club70

surreyred

Club 70 was in fact started in 1970.

At the time Churchill had an adult team that played on a pitch in Langford which was owned by Langford House Vet school.

The club at the time had no junior teams.

In 1969/1970 a family by the name of ROSE took over the post office at Churchill. They had a son called Terry who had at the time had just had to retire early from the professional game due to a knee injury. He had been with Derby and Chesterfield, but was always a bit fuzzy about how many first team games he actually played for either.

He decided to start a junior team locally. The club started in 1970 and hence the name. At the time it was specifically kept seperate from the Churchill village team.

The memory fades, but i am pretty sure we had and under 13's and an under 15's team. The under 15's played in light blue shirts and white shorts and the under 13's red shirts and black shorts.

Terry ROSE moved on after a couple of years, i think he went to Bath City as a manager or coach, but i may have remembered that wrong.

The club was then run by various parents. I finished playing for them some time around 1975/76.

At some point after this the junior club (Club 70) took over the adult village team. Basically those that had come through the junior teams became the adult team (Churchill) once they got to 17. Thats how a team called Club 70 can get its name from 1970 but still have a centenery in recent years, the centenery refering to the orgional Churchill village team.

I moved away in 1977 aged 19 to seek work in the cultural, and football wilderness of Surrey and lost contact with what was going on after that.

Club 70 was in fact started in 1970.

At the time Churchill had an adult team that played on a pitch in Langford which was owned by Langford House Vet school.

The club at the time had no junior teams.

In 1969/1970 a family by the name of ROSE took over the post office at Churchill. They had a son called Terry who had at the time had just had to retire early from the professional game due to a knee injury. He had been with Derby and Chesterfield, but was always a bit fuzzy about how many first team games he actually played for either.

He decided to start a junior team locally. The club started in 1970 and hence the name. At the time it was specifically kept seperate from the Churchill village team.

The memory fades, but i am pretty sure we had and under 13's and an under 15's team. The under 15's played in light blue shirts and white shorts and the under 13's red shirts and black shorts.

Terry ROSE moved on after a couple of years, i think he went to Bath City as a manager or coach, but i may have remembered that wrong.

The club was then run by various parents. I finished playing for them some time around 1975/76.

At some point after this the junior club (Club 70) took over the adult village team. Basically those that had come through the junior teams became the adult team (Churchill) once they got to 17. Thats how a team called Club 70 can get its name from 1970 but still have a centenery in recent years, the centenery refering to the orgional Churchill village team.

I moved away in 1977 aged 19 to seek work in the cultural, and football wilderness of Surrey and lost contact with what was going on after that.

OK Cheers. I've refereed for 27 years now. I now am the under 14's manager, and looking forward to the season starting on 9 sept.( Anybody reading this and has a child of this age who would like to play in our team please let me know by replying on this site.)

We have new changing rooms paid for by the national lottery (Thank you) Also we have relaid the pitch this season at a cost of £1,000.oo. Also the flood lights are being renewed this season at a cost of £4,000.ooo.

My refereeing days are now coming to an end, mainly because of all the stupid language and arguing towards the referee. Also my wife is putting her foot down and saying I have to spend more time with the children. We have season tickets for thee kids, and I sell programes at the city ground.I referee the odd game when it suits me, and city are not at home.

OK Cheers. I've refereed for 27 years now. I now am the under 14's manager, and looking forward to the season starting on 9 sept.( Anybody reading this and has a child of this age who would like to play in our team please let me know by replying on this site.)

We have new changing rooms paid for by the national lottery (Thank you) Also we have relaid the pitch this season at a cost of £1,000.oo. Also the flood lights are being renewed this season at a cost of £4,000.ooo.

My refereeing days are now coming to an end, mainly because of all the stupid language and arguing towards the referee. Also my wife is putting her foot down and saying I have to spend more time with the children. We have season tickets for thee kids, and I sell programes at the city ground.I referee the odd game when it suits me, and city are not at home.

Churchill Ciderhead,

Having served my pennance for the last 30 years in the previously mentioned home counties desert I will be moving back to 'Gods Own Country' in the next month or so, and i will make sure i come and take in a game or two.

It's good to know the club is still thriving and has things like floodlights (during the winter we trained midweek on the beach at Weston because it was lit by the street lights on the front), and not having to chase the sheep of the field before a game !

Churchill Ciderhead,

Having served my pennance for the last 30 years in the previously mentioned home counties desert I will be moving back to 'Gods Own Country' in the next month or so, and i will make sure i come and take in a game or two.

It's good to know the club is still thriving and has things like floodlights (during the winter we trained midweek on the beach at Weston because it was lit by the street lights on the front), and not having to chase the sheep of the field before a game !

Great, It will be great to see you there!

Archived