IGNORED

Football Theses Days

beaverface

Is anyone else fed up with the fakeness of football these days.

Every day we're told to sing this song, bring a scarf, wear red, come dressed as if we're on the beach, sing-along-to a particular song etc..

Whatever happened to spur of the moment actions? Everything is spoon-fed to us these days.

In the past, you had fans turn up in fancy dress, or taking inflatable banana's to games as a spur of the moment decision, they weren't told to do it, they just done it and it turned out to be funny and entertaining; same with songs, they just happened, there wasn't any planning for weeks on end on any forums.

It's all becoming too plastic!

Every day we're told to sing this song, bring a scarf, wear red, come dressed as if we're on the beach, sing-along-to a particular song etc..

Whatever happened to spur of the moment actions? Everything is spoon-fed to us these days.

In the past, you had fans turn up in fancy dress, or taking inflatable banana's to games as a spur of the moment decision, they weren't told to do it, they just done it and it turned out to be funny and entertaining; same with songs, they just happened, there wasn't any planning for weeks on end on any forums.

Couldnt agree with you more

Music after goals

Stupid Bloody Mascots

Seems to me the people running the game are not actually fans of it so they cannot see how and why we would love it for itself. They therefore have to turn it into an "experience" in the mistaken belief that they will attract more customers (not fans). Organised spontaneity is a contradiction in terms. It doesn't work guys. :grr:

I agree. Years ago the football just used to stand by itself, I mean football was the entertainment in itself. It doesn't need ridiculous trappings. Unfortunately it's not just a working man's game anymore. Corporate businessmen like football matches adorned with tinsel. Bring back the days of terraces and half-times where you could just chat about other scores.

You've only just noticed?

I too am in favour of football with just the 'basics', ie music (if we have to have it) at a level I can speak to the person next to me without resolving to lip reading. Team news and other relevant announcements etc. I don't feel the need to be entertained by dancing girls or singers and the like, as my attention span is sufficant enough for me not to wander off or forget why I'm there for!

On of the few 'entertainments' that I missed was the army display of a few years back, I understand that was very good. I did see parachutists at another ground years ago too which was worth watching.

However, I think the club should be recognized as it is at least trying to do what it thinks people may want, whether this is actually the case or not is another matter. In this instance will be judged on how many people actually make the effort and dress up tomorrow. I myself am not, but maybe prefer this beach theme idea to say 'ladies day' which was a tad patronising.

I guess if the club turned round and said 'don't you dare turn up in fancy dress/inflatables' the place will be filled!

Fair play to David Lloyd and the club though for listening and trying out different things. Something needed to be done, I'm just unsure what yet.

3 Years ago on a bank holiday monday Vs Brentford 50 blokes wore Santa masks in the Williams. It was possibly the funniest home game I can remember.

Thats fun, and thats spontinatity - And it didnt need the clubs help!

Thats exactly what we need, somehting that isn't staged.

Fair play to the subbers who also had the yellow marigolds as well. Brilliant!

I totally agree. We are cursed with it in the Colonies too. It is all designed to make the game "attractive" to those who do not find it so. They use terms like "clients" not supporters.

In Sydney I have been sevaral times to watch Sydney FC in the fledgling A League (2 years old).Talk about constructed! They actually have someone who gets the fans"going" like the guy who revs up the live audience at some TV show. When this guy judges that the fans are a bit quiet, he and his helpers get to the front, face the crowd and start the song of choice, complete with hand movements. The TV cameras never pick this guy up so on TV it looks like a "real" football crowd, all singing and atmosphere. Oh, and if you don't know the words, thet give you a pamphlet with them printed on it. I know they are desperate to help get the club and the League established but still, it's 'orrible.

Sometimes I think you pay a high price for leaving the old country.

I totally agree. We are cursed with it in the Colonies too. It is all designed to make the game "attractive" to those who do not find it so. They use terms like "clients" not supporters.

In Sydney I have been sevaral times to watch Sydney FC in the fledgling A League (2 years old).Talk about constructed! They actually have someone who gets the fans"going" like the guy who revs up the live audience at some TV show. When this guy judges that the fans are a bit quiet, he and his helpers get to the front, face the crowd and start the song of choice, complete with hand movements. The TV cameras never pick this guy up so on TV it looks like a "real" football crowd, all singing and atmosphere. Oh, and if you don't know the words, thet give you a pamphlet with them printed on it. I know they are desperate to help get the club and the League established but still, it's 'orrible.

Sometimes I think you pay a high price for leaving the old country.

Sounds like when I used to go and watch Nice play in the French league. There were guys at the front (who I don't think watched the game at all) with megaphones starting all the chants - including telling you when to raise your scarves. Very artificial and a cheap impersonation of Italian ultra culture. The only spontaneous involvement from the fans is when they lob coins/small rocks into the away end (and then duck when they come flying back 10 seconds later). Still, at least it was warm and sunny like at the Sydney games above!

Sounds like when I used to go and watch Nice play in the French league. There were guys at the front (who I don't think watched the game at all) with megaphones starting all the chants - including telling you when to raise your scarves. Very artificial and a cheap impersonation of Italian ultra culture. The only spontaneous involvement from the fans is when they lob coins/small rocks into the away end (and then duck when they come flying back 10 seconds later). Still, at least it was warm and sunny like at the Sydney games above!

If half the players' wives and GFs come and watch the games in the 1st division here then the crowd is above average. It is a bit like watching games on the Downs.

In Sydney I have been sevaral times to watch Sydney FC in the fledgling A League (2 years old).Talk about constructed! They actually have someone who gets the fans"going" like the guy who revs up the live audience at some TV show. When this guy judges that the fans are a bit quiet, he and his helpers get to the front, face the crowd and start the song of choice, complete with hand movements.

They do that all over the world. Certainly at the more volatile clubs like Galatasaray and in the south American leagues

Umm Yes I'm fed up. Join the SUSD campaign (www.standupsitdown.co.uk), we have over 500 members already and you will find all of them will feel the same way as you as to the fakeness of modern day English football.

Archived