IGNORED

City Go A Bundle With Trundle

Blagdon red

Agree apart from the stupid attack on Betsy, hope he's not reading no matter how mediocre his performance.

It's not an attack on KB, it's an illustration of what is probably needed to take us forward in terms of strikers and that's the sort of quality we've seen today.That, unless we get lucky, involves spending money and you get's what you pays for-Hopefully, with IS & SB coming back, we'll be OK, but we need that sort of quality to make real progress not more of the same in the £250k bracket-As I said-unless we get lucky.

Thanks BB. Agree that if you look at Bettsy and Trundle in isolation, it's a good example of you pay for what you get.

However to counter that there's I refer you to most of GJs other purchases other than the two above!

You don't have to pay silly money to get quality.

Really good review, agree with almost all of what you say.

Two points though, what would Trunds need to do to get a 9?? I think he was the difference between the sides and single handedly won us the game!!

Also, i think Elliott is the counter arguement to the money guarantee's quality debate, he is looking awesome so far.

Really good review, agree with almost all of what you say.

Two points though, what would Trunds need to do to get a 9?? I think he was the difference between the sides and single handedly won us the game!!

Also, i think Elliott is the counter arguement to the money guarantee's quality debate, he is looking awesome so far.

If you look at the end of any season and see the teams that get promoted or win things it's normally, not always as we proved, down to their strikers and on a lot of occassions, strikers make the difference between top six and bottom six.

For example, I still believe that if we'd had Billy Sharp and not S****horpe last season we'd have won the League by Feb.

To get a nine/ten I would have liked a third goal or more overall contribution.I'm not complaining, but you've also got to look at the contributions of players like Elliott who must have three lungs and Murray who tore around the front line like a man possessed in 90 degree heat supporting LT.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Thanks BB. Agree that if you look at Bettsy and Trundle in isolation, it's a good example of you pay for what you get.

However to counter that there's I refer you to most of GJs other purchases other than the two above!

You don't have to pay silly money to get quality.

I agree partly with your point and Colchester did well/got lucky.....take your pick, with Iwulemo & Cureton.McIndoe & Sproule cost decent fees, along with Trundle althoughm as I've said, we haven't seen the best of McIndoe yet.

In terms of GJ's purchases this season and last, I want to take a look after about 12 games when we've, played top, middle & bottom clubs seen Sproule and our injured players have returned and played in the CCC, which in fairness, they haven't played in before.Let me add, I think and hope they'll all be fine.

I just think that we are mssing a vital cog in the jigsaw and so must GJ as he's enquired about 7/8 players (strikers) Byfield included, according to his press conference on World.A player next to Trundle of similar quality would be a massive boost and give us "moments" like yesterday.

Of course, Brooker & Sproule are set to return, but GJ knows that and he's still in the market for a striker, so that tells you he obviously thinks we needs one.

Fontaine was worth at least an 8 and I thought Carey was excellent. I wasn't aware of any errors other than allowing himself to be thrown to the floor when they scored their goal! His positioning again and again, is proving the difference at this level and I would be happy with that level of performance week in week out.

His distribution wasn't the worst in the back 4, as well as he played Bradders needs to get with them programme and get the ball on the deck over shorter distances. Having said that the midfield need to make themselves available in more space within a decent passing range of the defenders.

I also don't agree with Trundle being anonymous in the 2nd half, he was the link in several pasing moves and provided the final pass in the best move in the match when Murray should have scored. He also did some good work out in the left wing position on a couple of occasions.

I don't think Weale was fouled in the build up to the goal but I do think he should have done better.

Fontaine was worth at least an 8 and I thought Carey was excellent. I wasn't aware of any errors other than allowing himself to be thrown to the floor when they scored their goal! His positioning again and again, is proving the difference at this level and I would be happy with that level of performance week in week out.

There could have been two fouls in the build up to their goals-having watched the highlights.It was Carey's worst game for ages and he still gave everything and wasn't poor.

His distribution wasn't the worst in the back 4, as well as he played Bradders needs to get with them programme and get the ball on the deck over shorter distances. Having said that the midfield need to make themselves available in more space within a decent passing range of the defenders.

Bang On.Relying on BO delivering the final ball isn't the wisest strategy

I also don't agree with Trundle being anonymous in the 2nd half, he was the link in several pasing moves and provided the final pass in the best move in the match when Murray should have scored. He also did some good work out in the left wing position on a couple of occasions.

I don't think Weale was fouled in the build up to the goal but I do think he should have done better.

Weale is weaker on crosses than shot stopping and that's an area he needs to work on-I mentioned Trundles pass to Murray in the review but I think three shots on target in 90 minutes tells it's own tale

Weale is weaker on crosses than shot stopping and that's an area he needs to work on-I mentioned Trundles pass to Murray in the review but I think three shots on target in 90 minutes tells it's own tale

I think someone mentioned on another thread that according to prozone the average "strikes at goal" by a forward is 4, average being the operative word.

I think someone mentioned on another thread that according to prozone the average "strikes at goal" by a forward is 4, average being the operative word.

If that's per forward, per game then we had three in total across the whole team!

In fairness, Weale didn't have muh else to do either so it applied to both teams but whilst some of our football's excellent, we need more cutting edge, power & pace up front next to LT.

That's your cue, SL!!

If that's per forward, per game then we had three in total across the whole team!

In fairness, Weale didn't have muh else to do either so it applied to both teams but whilst some of our football's excellent, we need more cutting edge, power & pace up front next to LT.

That's your cue, SL!!

More cutting edge, power and pace next to LT? You don't want much do you?

Murray has pace. Mcindoe has pace. Wilson, who seemed transformed to me, is no slouch. Sproule, apparently, is quicker than Lewis Hamilton.

Trundle supplies the power. He has good strength to hold off centre halves.

I agree that we need more cutting edge. As you point out elsewhere, 3 attempts on goal is not good enough.

But we shouldn't get too obsessed with our forwards. I suspect many teams will not relish playing them. More importantly, I disagree with your statement:

strikers make the difference between top six and bottom six.

They don't. Defenders do.

I still think our defence is suspect and I'm not sure McCombe is the answer.

More cutting edge, power and pace next to LT? You don't want much do you?

No I don't-But WE do-We need it

Murray has pace. Mcindoe has pace. Wilson, who seemed transformed to me, is no slouch. Sproule, apparently, is quicker than Lewis Hamilton.

All are wide players primarily who can do a job every now and then-I won't pass judgement on Sproule until I've seen him up front and please God he's the answer

Trundle supplies the power. He has good strength to hold off centre halves.

But he has no pace and can't do it on his own

I agree that we need more cutting edge. As you point out elsewhere, 3 attempts on goal is not good enough.

But we shouldn't get too obsessed with our forwards. I suspect many teams will not relish playing them. More importantly, I disagree with your statement:

They don't. Defenders do.

We'll agree to differ on that because 46 0-0 draws wouldn't keep us in the CCC.I'm far from obsessed and I'm sure anyone that watched us last season would realise that a strong defence is vital, however, even with JM back, I still can't see us keeping that many clean sheets and that, in simple terms,means scoring more goals.I hope Brooker & IS are the men to do it but GJ's trying to sign a striker.

I still think our defence is suspect and I'm not sure McCombe is the answer.

Maybe we'll need to switch to three central defenders or play a holding midfielder and Elliott, especially away.Give it 12 games and get our best XI on the field on enough occassions and we'll soon know.

Archived