IGNORED

Movement And Motivation

Guest Orj

I've been giving some thought to what seems to be missing from our performances at the moment and why we keep getting turned over. I think that movement and motivation pretty much sums it up.

Looking at the 2 issues seperately, the lack of movement that has been apparent in our recent performances has been shocking. The players just don't seem to want to make themselves available in space to recieve the ball. Take throw-ins as a case in point, how often have we recently seen one of our players standing in touch with the ball in their hands wondering which week a fellow player is going to make themselves available to receive the ball? This isn't the only scenario where a lack of movement exists though, it is endemic in our general attacking play (I would exclude Miller, Rougier, Murray and Hill from this statement though). Roberts and Peacock have to be the 2 main protagonists in this regard, they both seem to have pritt-stick studs when our midfield are looking for attacking options and I just find it truly astounding that, so-called, professional athletes can be so sloppy. You have to question why the manager let's them get away with such a laid back approach. Mind you, perhaps it is a reflection of his general demeanour and sense of urgency.

This brings me nicely onto motivation. There appear to be 2 schools of thought in the football management arena with regard to how the manager conducts himself, and how his conduct motivates the players. At one end of the spectrum, you have Eriksson and Wenger, at the other end you have Ferguson and Strachan. One style could be considered to be that of motivator, the other, tactician. The key to being a tactician is that you have to put together a group of strongly self-motivated players to make up for that gap in your management style. Our manager clearly fancies himself as a budding Wenger, as his lack of animation in the dug-out demonstrates. There can surely be no doubt that we are lacking an element of effort and dynamism on the pitch at the moment so the question becomes this: Has the manager recruited the wrong bunch of players in the context of his managerial style or does he need to modify his approach to that of a hairdryer manager and scare the players into action. Either way, some very strong questions need to be asked about why this bunch of players are performing so below par at the moment. If they can't motivate themselves and get 'up for it' for the match against QPR, they never will.

The bottom line is that there are a number of players playing for their livelihoods in the next few weeks. I don't want to see performances improve on the back of this, I expect it.

Orj - excellent post, agree with all you say, particularly.............

"If they can't motivate themselves and get 'up for it' for the match against QPR, they never will.

The bottom line is that there are a number of players playing for their livelihoods in the next few weeks. I don't want to see performances improve on the back of this, I expect it. "

I think that sums it up pretty well

Orj,couldn't have put it better myself. :P

I have said for some time now that players like LW etc, don't become bad overnight.

He was Premiership class & now struggles to get into the 1st eleven.

Plays for his country & seems to be a different player.

When he gets the ball, he looks up & NO ONE is moving for him.

Totally agree on this one. :dunno:

Yes Orj, you've made your point succinctly. Movement is poor and as a result attacking options more limited. Motivation comes partly from the players and partly from the manager. I have serious reservations about DW's ability to motivate and you can see this on th epitch where opposition players constantly outfight city players for 50-50 balls (TommyD and Joe Burnell may be exceptions to this).

The spine of the team requires tweaking. Butler has to go as he's a shambling shadow of himself of last season, and has the turning circle of an oil tanker. His place must be taken by Matty Hill at the centre of defence. This then leads me forward to the attack. Lee Peacock seems to be picked no matter what, ven if he's in a wheelchair. DW's blatant favouritism is messing things up. Miller and Rougier ought to have 4 games together to see what they can do.

In the centre Tommy D and Luke must now get games together to get used to each other as Tinman's legs are fading and he's in the twilight of his career.

And for an object lesson in motivating your players feel free to compare and contrast the respective managers on Saturday.

Holloway (i may get crucified but god i wish he was in charge of us) will not stop moving and shouting and talking to his players all the way the through the game - whether things are going well or going badly - keeping them on their toes keeping them informed passing the instructions making his point and more than anything just to keep them going and working hard for every ball.

Wilson will remain motionless seemingly nailed to the dugout wall letting the game almost pass him and his players by.

God Help Us

Orj,couldn't have put it better myself. :P

I have said for some time now that players like LW etc, don't become bad overnight.

He was Premiership class & now struggles to get into the 1st eleven.

Plays for his country & seems to be a different player.

When he gets the ball, he looks up & NO ONE is moving for him.

Totally agree on this one. :dunno:

DW was wrong to sub LW against both Oldham & Vale.

He is either punishing him for playing for Oz and leaving us, or, he genuinely thinks that Tinnion is the better option, even wide.

I think LW went downhill when he played in the Olympics and hammered The Solomon Islands etc 12-0.Returning to the cut and thrust of Div 2 saw games passing him by.

He was just getting right into form before he went and was really looking the part in CENTRAL MIDFIELD, after DW had the sense to abandon his "LW's a wide player," 20 match experiment.

Been saying it all season that LW's problem is that his football brain works slightly quicker than the rest of the teams as such a lot of what he does can tend to look a bit crap but it really isn't his fault - the rest of them just arent clever enough to make the runs!!!!

Heres to LW in the middle and getting on the same wavelength as Scotty - it could prove as fruitful as it used to be with tinman!!!

Been saying it all season that LW's problem is that his football brain works slightly quicker than the rest of the teams as such a lot of what he does can tend to look a bit crap but it really isn't his fault - the rest of them just arent clever enough to make the runs!!!!

Heres to LW in the middle and getting on the same wavelength as Scotty - it could prove as fruitful as it used to be with tinman!!!

Spot on again.

It seems that players come to the Gate & told to act as statues.

Aaron Brown is the classic. Has pace & some ability, but tends to watch most of the game.

Is it the coaching or do the players really not know how to pass & move.

Would like to see if LW can work with SM. :dunno:

Was going to mention about LW and his "premiership class/football brain", but I've been beaten to it. One more than a few occasions he has put in a terrific pass/cross but nobody has been on the end of it.

The throw in thing also annoys me. You have a player on the touchline ready to throw it back into play, and one player coming towards him (usually marked). On occasions other members of the team just seem to stroll up without a care in the world. This is fine when you're winning 2/3-0, but not when you're winning 1-0 with the opposition pressing for an equalizer. As for when it's 0-0, every single player within 10-15 yards should be trying to create space so that the ball can be thrown into them.

Also I've noticed the throw-ins tend to be poorly directed; they are not direct to feet but bounce a few feet in front thus allowing opposition tackles etc. Best to throw them direct to feet or chest so the recipient can control instantly and proceed with another attacking movement.

Archived