IGNORED

Would You Be Upset If Skuse Left Now ?

andy g

At the start of the summer, most of us would have said "yes" to that question. But since then Marvin Elliott has come in and if he keeps playing like this, its hard to see how Skuse gets in the side.

Ok, theyre different players, Elliott is all action and Skuse sits back more. But, can we afford to do without Skuse now ?

I reckon we should hang onto him if we possibly can, because he offers something slightly different and is a good player to bring into the side (either to replace Elliott when he's injured or as a sub to support him) but if a good offer came along...

At the start of the summer, most of us would have said "yes" to that question. But since then Marvin Elliott has come in and if he keeps playing like this, its hard to see how Skuse gets in the side.

Ok, theyre different players, Elliott is all action and Skuse sits back more. But, can we afford to do without Skuse now ?

I reckon we should hang onto him if we possibly can, because he offers something slightly different and is a good player to bring into the side (either to replace Elliott when he's injured or as a sub to support him) but if a good offer came along...

sell him,to me a luxurey, we need ball winners and grafters,in my time skuse has not given that,he is more happy when not under pressure and has time on the ball,unfortunatly the championship is a diffrent standard,much quickerand less time to pla around.

I think Elliott's arrival has highlighted Skuse's limitations as a footballer. He always has two 'get out of jail free' cards, one is that he's from Bristol, which rightly buys him time as we love to see bristolians for City.

Secondly, is that he's young. Now i'm sure elliott and Skuse are a very similar age, and the progress and development are worlds apart. I personally don't believe that Skuse influences the game enough to make his mark at this level, and if someone offered us say £500k, with a sell on clause in case he does improve, i'd take it.

GJ has already said that nobody is leaving, which would include Skuse. People have short memories, and last season he was at times, the best man on the pitch.

fair enough thats your opinion and your perfectly entitled to it, Ive personaly never came away from a game and thought Skuse was the best player on the pitch - If we could get a fee that was worthwhile then i would let him go, if we cant then i have no probs keeping him.

For a long time now I've said I don't care who leaves it's who stays that counts-however, if he was leaving he should have done so by now and a replacement lined up.Not what happened with Cotterill.

In terms of Elliott, what you say is true, but like anyone else, he can get injured and if Skuse left on Thursday and Elliott was injured on Saturday we would have two fit central midfielders plus Artus who can be recalled and I don't think that's stromg enough for the CCC.

As we move up the league we need to think more of building a squad and Skuse is a useful squad player. Look at Man Utd and someone like Solskjaer. He is often left out of the team or on the bench even though he would walk into any City team over the last few years.

It seems that as soon as a player is left out or has one bad game some people want to get rid of them. Johnson seems better at using a squad system than some of our previous managers and maybe that is why we are seeing some success. Interesting to note that in just about every position players have been left out this season - even though we have only had a few games.

We should be picking the team from those who are 100 per cent fit and know that whoever plays or comes on as sub they are going to do a job. At last we are getting to that stage with Scott Murray making two fabulous contributions as sub and then getting a go in the side; Jevons contributing two goals when he was picked but having to wait for further chances; Russell doing a sterling job replacing Johnson for two games. I can't wait for the day we have got world class players in the stands and we are winning a game easily.

The squad is getting bigger and we still have Sproule to look forward to and we should look to keep any player that will make a difference and wants to play his heart out for the club when selected. Of course they all have a price...If AC Milan make a £7 million bid then I think Skuse should go tomorrow...I'd buy him a phrasebook and pack his bag myself!

I think Skuse would be better as a central defender. Lacks the vision required to be a decent midfielder and doesn't 'affect' games, as GJ would say.

The problem isn't Skuse it's how and where he's played.

Basically, he's a holding, defensive midfielder, great engine-end of story.He can also play as a central defender but needs to be next to a player ala McCombe.He's got a good temperment and doesn't gob off and pick up unecessary cards & suspensions.

Managers see him gallopping around and think he can play wide-he can't-will score goals because he gets box to box-he won't and can twang a 35 yard pass-he can't.That ebing said he does need to add to his game in the final third, but so does Makelele!

The same can be said about Makelele and he's changed hands for a ton of money AND got a few medals!

we should 100% keep Skuse, he gives us what we need in centre midfield when he is on the pitch, there is not one player that does what he does, and when we play some of the divisions better teams the defensive midfield job will tell!

He needs to be playing because Elliot and Johnson will struggle defensively when they are being constantly tested by some of the divisions better midfielders! His vision is amazing and the higher you go the more time on the ball you get so get that right as well!

also Cole is not a player that is meant to have a major effect on the game, he is a holding midfielder that picks up the peices and defends well! as well as breaking up play and starting moves, which is what he does and unless u really analize a game or understand football then u will realise what job he does!

anyone on this forum that knows a lot about the game will say how good Skuse is! The constant interest is for good reason!!

As we move up the league we need to think more of building a squad and Skuse is a useful squad player. Look at Man Utd and someone like Solskjaer. He is often left out of the team or on the bench even though he would walk into any City team over the last few years.

It seems that as soon as a player is left out or has one bad game some people want to get rid of them. Johnson seems better at using a squad system than some of our previous managers and maybe that is why we are seeing some success. Interesting to note that in just about every position players have been left out this season - even though we have only had a few games.

We should be picking the team from those who are 100 per cent fit and know that whoever plays or comes on as sub they are going to do a job. At last we are getting to that stage with Scott Murray making two fabulous contributions as sub and then getting a go in the side; Jevons contributing two goals when he was picked but having to wait for further chances; Russell doing a sterling job replacing Johnson for two games. I can't wait for the day we have got world class players in the stands and we are winning a game easily.

The squad is getting bigger and we still have Sproule to look forward to and we should look to keep any player that will make a difference and wants to play his heart out for the club when selected. Of course they all have a price...If AC Milan make a £7 million bid then I think Skuse should go tomorrow...I'd buy him a phrasebook and pack his bag myself!

Breath of fresh air you are Ten. Where did you blow in from?

Oh...I've been around for a while just snooping in but thought it needed an injection of common sense and comedy! Also think things are heading in the right direction at The Gate as too many "knee jerk" reactions to one bad rersult or performance. All fans want the same thing...good football...entertaining game...goals...wins...trouble is we have to put up with some bad days to savour the good.

Elliotts performances have been outstanding so far this season. This can only make Skusey a better player now he knows he has competition for his place. If ME does get an injury, or his form drops, Cole knows he will have to be at his best to retain his place in the squad once given the chance. I think this will improve his game greatly.

I hope Cole stays, the one thing he has over ME is he is a bristolian and will be passionate about playing for us.

GJ has already said that nobody is leaving, which would include Skuse. People have short memories, and last season he was at times, the best man on the pitch.

Sorry to disagree with both you and GJ, but if the money is right then just about anyone at the football club could leave. We are a selling club as we are not big enough to turn down big money yet.

I'm sorry but he is too lightweight and an average player. Just because he's Bristolian people defend him. If he was from Lincoln I doubt people would be so sympathetic! You could see when he came on saturday how he pulled out of a tackle when he could have stopped a dangerous scunny attack. For me he is bottom of the list of midfielders we have available and if anything around 500k was offered i'd drive him there myself. No room for lightweight players as we move up the leagues. Jevons, Skuse, Showunmi and Betsy on their bikes. Raise enough to buy what is needed, a quality striker and a left back. (and please don't slaughter me for that, Mcallister is very solid but i think we need somebody to push him as he has been a bit sluggish so far.

In honesty if Skuse was to go to Reading for example now I'd wish him good luck but then move on. To be honest at this moment he isnt one of our best players and therefore if it was the right offer (like every other play in fairness) I don't think I would really mind. Mind you I would love to see him become a first choice here, but as I have said, at the moment that doesnt look like happening.

Archived