IGNORED

Changing Manager....

Ian M

• Admin

I've heard all the arguments trying to back up the view that "changing things now would harm our promotion challenge" such as the reaction of the players and the new guy not knowing the current squad but even if we did bring in someone from outside as opposed to appointing a caretaker from within there are plenty of examples of this not being the case.

Bristol Boy has already brought up the cases of John Ward and Joe Jordan from our own history but for something a little more recent we need only look at Brentford currently.

2 weeks ago Brentford appointed Martin Allen whilst sitting pretty, deeply rooted in the relegation players so you would assume their players aren't really much kop (losing twice to us backs that up :dunno:). However, despite not knowing the ability of any of their players, Martin Allen has come in and overseen 2 straight victories against sides considerably higher in the table than themselves. That's 2 more points in 2 games than we have managed in 7. I wish we could appoint a manager who knew as little about our squad whilst picking up maximum points.

The 11 match winning run (during which it is acknowledged we didn't play well in the majority of which) has merely disguised the fact that we have had an appaling 28 games either side of it. During these other 28 games (or "the majority of our season") we have picked up points at a rate of 1.25 per game and unfortunately that is just not good enough.

Hypothetical question now, how many more games would you accept being on 68 points for before having to "get rid"? (We currently have 7 games left)

Interesting one this one.

I find no reason to take issue with any points you made & the 11 match run, didn't hide the fact we have been dire on many more occasions.

But reading the SL forum, we are being told to " to look forward" and drop the "what if's" from our blinkered views.

Yep, cant argue with SL on the point that promtion is well within our reach, but I can only 'look forward' with a lot of 'what ifs' & think that it ain't looking to hot at the moment.

I am trying to keep the faith & will take real joy if the real BCFC turn out on Saturday & whallop QPR. :dunno:

It is probably too late to change now although an embarrasment against QPR would still leave a new appointee 6 games to have an impact.

How loyal is Barlow to Wilson ? Remember when Wilson was on hol pre-season [shouldn't be allowed !!] and Barlow took charge for the friendly against Leeds, he gave both Clist and Hawkins a fair crack.

Barlow might be living in Wilson's shadow and have his own ideas - at least he knows the players. Failing that it would have to be Tinman and Taylor, indeed, if we don't go up and Wilson leaves in the summer that is a low cost safe option for next season that not many would argue with

I said in October I didn't think all was sweetness and light between Barlow and Wilson. I see Wilson as a proud stubborn man unwilling to admit he makes mistakes and that gets up peoples' noses. I think he's naffed off too many at AG and the performances are beginning to show it.

Maybe do what happened when Pulis walked. Appoint a 3 man regime. Barlow, Tins and Taylor. All know the club well and i think we would see a dramatic change in things. But then again, Wilson would have to walk for this to happen as Lansdowne Wont sack him because of the Compensation Bill.

Maybe do what happened when Pulis walked. Appoint a 3 man regime. Barlow, Tins and Taylor. All know the club well and i think we would see a dramatic change in things. But then again, Wilson would have to walk for this to happen as Lansdowne Wont sack him because of the Compensation Bill.
Go along with the idea and I mooted it earlier but I wouldn't have a player on the selection team and Tins hasn't been at his best, even post his wing move by DW.

Well, if DW "knows his team" he goes a bl00d* funny about showing it!

His tactics and team selection (I've posted loads, so won't repeat it) aginst Oldham and Vale in particular, have been nothing short off psychotic, never mind baffling.

If the players are as confused as the fans, no wonder they aren't playing for him.

My only other concern is that some of them know they'll definetly be out of work if we go up, so are they really going for it?

I don't know, but Plymouths change of Manager doesn't seem to have made a blind bit of difference.

Tinnion can try as hard as he likes, but he isn't a left winger, like JB's not a midfielder.

The point you made Bristol Boy about players losing their jobs is one I ahev raised in the past week or so and also last season.

If we are promoted there are a number who won't be retained as not good enough at the next level and those same players if they are kept [goodness knows why] will be offered less attractive terms than they currently enjoy - HARDLY A MOTIVATOR FOR THEM IS IT !!

GO up or stay down, I think the squad will undergo a massive overhaul in the summer

Archived