IGNORED

And Here's Another Thing

Guest Orj

Why does there appear to be this obsession that raking crossfield balls are always a good thing? They are always applauded warmly by the City faithful, as though they are always the best thing to do. Surely if the left and right wingers played tennis with each other all day long, we'd never make any inroads into the opposition box.

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to try to run past players with the ball or get down to the dead-ball line to whip a cross in that is moving away from their keeper rather than at him. We just seem to want to pass the ball into the box from deep wing positions, well, either that or get on the end of lumps forward from Carey, Butler and Coles.

The midfielders must, must, must start trying to take players on and also start trying to play some shorter pass-and-move football through the middle of the park.

I suppose this is partly a reiteration of what I said in my earlier post but, watching Arsenal earlier, and seeing their sublime use of spatial awareness, anticipation and mobility was tantamount to reading a textbook on how to break teams down. Of course, I'm not expecting anything like the same standard as Arsenal, but our players should at least be aspiring to those same principles.

If they do nothing else this week, our players could do far worse than watch a few videos of Arsenal this season and of Fulham in their promotion season to get an idea of what they are lacking.

Surely this isn't asking the world? Come on lads, pull your fingers out and save this season now, while you still have a chance.

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to try to run past players with the ball or get down to the dead-ball line to whip a cross in that is moving away from their keeper rather than at him. We just seem to want to pass the ball into the box from deep wing positions,
We havnt been able to do it thsi season, with DW playin tinnion on the left and wilkshire on the right,

there is no pace!

now murry is back wemay be able to do it,

we'll see @ QPR on sat.

Why does there appear to be this obsession that raking crossfield balls are always a good thing? They are always applauded warmly by the City faithful, as though they are always the best thing to do. Surely if the left and right wingers played tennis with each other all day long, we'd never make any inroads into the opposition box.

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to try to run past players with the ball or get down to the dead-ball line to whip a cross in that is moving away from their keeper rather than at him. We just seem to want to pass the ball into the box from deep wing positions, well, either that or get on the end of lumps forward from Carey, Butler and Coles.

The midfielders must, must, must start trying to take players on and also start trying to play some shorter pass-and-move football through the middle of the park.

I suppose this is partly a reiteration of what I said in my earlier post but, watching Arsenal earlier, and seeing their sublime use of spatial awareness, anticipation and mobility was tantamount to reading a textbook on how to break teams down. Of course, I'm not expecting anything like the same standard as Arsenal, but our players should at least be aspiring to those same principles.

If they do nothing else this week, our players could do far worse than watch a few videos of Arsenal this season and of Fulham in their promotion season to get an idea of what they are lacking.

Surely this isn't asking the world? Come on lads, pull your fingers out and save this season now, while you still have a chance.

Well spotted Sir.

I've said the same myself.

Goodfellows the worst culprit, always coming inside and never hitting the byeline.

I've criticised midfield players for years for not " getting past the ball."

Diagonal runs onto straight balls, ala Oldhams 2nd goal against us.

The ball between full back and centre half-The Tinnion-Murray from last year is also missing.

Hitting crossfield balls and switching the play is a great way of opening up the opposing team, I think the fact Arsenal dont do it is more to do with the highbury pitch. They have a very narrow game which sees a right footed player like pieres play on the left and he never gets to the byline. In fact how often do Arsenal put crosses into the box ??

We need to be able to move the ball quicker at a higher tempo, Thats been our major problem of late. We start games slowly and seem to react to what teams do to us rather than press ourselves onto them.

The time has come for the players to go out and start a game at a high tempo, if they do that then they have more than enough quaility to beat ANYONE in this league.

Games in front of the big crowds should help, Also perhaps we have missed the charecters like Beadle around the dressing room ?? Cant really see anyone else in there who is geeing the players right up before kick off ?

Archived