IGNORED

Brian Wilson

Guest CHL

Why GJ persists with Wilson on the right flank when he is more defensive than offensive. Really struggled last night to get going and Murray looked lost playing as a second striker. With Sproule and Scotty surely Wilson should be competing with Orr for right back from now on?

Also is it just me or does Weale seem to get beaten rather easily? Basso is a far better all round keeper and to be sure would have kept out Mpenzas strike. Was at a good height for a keeper and i question his positioning. Reminds me too much of flapper Phillips and Basso is like a skipper at the back with his inspirational presence. Weale seems stuck to his line at times rthough i will admit his kicking is better than Bassos. I know people will disagree but thats football. The game of opinions. Also Lee Johnson is nowhere near the quality of David Noble. Had Nobes been on the pitch last night he would have revelled in the space afforded by City in the second half. Johnson takes too long to get going, he can be effective but only in patches. Nobes far more consistent but Johnson wont drop his son so will have to find a way of playing both. which I can't see happening.

Why GJ persists with Wilson on the right flank when he is more defensive than offensive. Really struggled last night to get going and Murray looked lost playing as a second striker. With Sproule and Scotty surely Wilson should be competing with Orr for right back from now on?

I agree 100%. We need pace and flair on the right side of midfield, and Brian Wilson dosent seem to have either. I'd even prefer Betsy to Wilson!!

Trouble with Wilson is he drifts inside too much. But then Orr's distrbution at times is woeful so he prefers to pick the ball up from Carey/Johnson and then move the ball from there. It's no suprise we got back in the game once Murray switched to the RW, we looked a much more ballanced side.

Also is it just me or does Weale seem to get beaten rather easily? Basso is a far better all round keeper and to be sure would have kept out Mpenzas strike. Was at a good height for a keeper and i question his positioning. Reminds me too much of flapper Phillips and Basso is like a skipper at the back with his inspirational presence. Weale seems stuck to his line at times rthough i will admit his kicking is better than Bassos.

Basso for me as No1 :Believe:

The game of opinions. Also Lee Johnson is nowhere near the quality of David Noble. Had Nobes been on the pitch last night he would have revelled in the space afforded by City in the second half. Johnson takes too long to get going, he can be effective but only in patches. Nobes far more consistent but Johnson wont drop his son so will have to find a way of playing both. which I can't see happening.

I agree with this too..... but like you say GJ wont drop his son! Although Noble couldnt play anyway at the moment cos he's injured, but he should be first choice over Lee Johnson - no doubt!

Also is it just me or does Weale seem to get beaten rather easily? Basso is a far better all round keeper and to be sure would have kept out Mpenzas strike. Was at a good height for a keeper and i question his positioning. Reminds me too much of flapper Phillips and Basso is like a skipper at the back with his inspirational presence. Weale seems stuck to his line at times rthough i will admit his kicking is better than Bassos. I know people will disagree but thats football. The game of opinions. Also Lee Johnson is nowhere near the quality of David Noble. Had Nobes been on the pitch last night he would have revelled in the space afforded by City in the second half. Johnson takes too long to get going, he can be effective but only in patches. Nobes far more consistent but Johnson wont drop his son so will have to find a way of playing both. which I can't see happening.

Why do people insist Wilson is a right back when they've hardly ever seen him play in that position ?

I don't think you're giving him enough credit for his performances on the wing so far this season. He's never going to be as quick as someone like Sproule, but he puts in a lot of work when we havent got the ball and he is a threat going forward, both scoring goals and putting in crosses. Didnt have the greatest game last night, then Man City were a good side.

Weale and Basso are very clearly different keepers, but don't think Weale has done anything really badly wrong so far. Ive not seen the replays on telly, so cant really comment on his positioning for the Mpenza goal, but he looked pretty good for the rest of the game.

Not sure about switching Noble for Johnson. Obviously its not an option at the moment, but again I think its a case of different players with different skills. Johnson seems better at picking up the ball and moving it long distances around the pitch and taking set-pieces. Generally dictating the way we play. Noble is more effective with the ball at his feet, and keeping us in posession (although he's not very good at winning it back for us). Both can score goals.

Really don't think there is much in it between the two of them.

Still, as you say, its all about opinions...

Wilson doesnt seem to get wide enough for me plays more as a central midfielder. Seems to result in Johnson going out to the right more to give us some width.

At home would rather us play with two out and out wingers and really put the oppostiiton on the back foot.

Sproule is our right winger. Wilson is our squad man for rt back, rt wing and lt wing. Weale is a bean picker, and Basso is the better man, in fact I would play Henderson before Weale.

Basso

Orr Keogh McCombe McAllister

Sproule Noble Elliot McIndoe

Byfield Trundle.

At this level I believe that Basso Keogh and Noble, will prove better than Weale, Carey and LJ.

The back 5 all played for City last season, why, because thats where our promotion came from. Only Noble from last season is worthy of selection in the front 6, he has always been better than LJ.

Sproule is our right winger. Wilson is our squad man for rt back, rt wing and lt wing. Weale is a bean picker, and Basso is the better man, in fact I would play Henderson before Weale.

Basso

Orr Keogh McCombe McAllister

Sproule Noble Elliot McIndoe

Byfield Trundle.

At this level I believe that Basso Keogh and Noble, will prove better than Weale, Carey and LJ.

The back 5 all played for City last season, why, because thats where our promotion came from. Only Noble from last season is worthy of selection in the front 6, he has always been better than LJ.

Not Keogh though, he is being banished to somewhere grim oop north for not signing his contract.

that'll learn him :noexpression:

i would have Wilson in for Orr, better athelete and can pass to red shirt ( sorry Bradders :winner_third_h4h: )

I suspect GJ prefers 2 defensive minded players and 2 attacking minded players in a 4 man midfield , espeically whilst we are establishing ourselves in this division.

Elliot & Wilson therefore balance Johnson & McIndoe/Murray/Betsy/Sproule

Don't think you can blame Weale for any of the goals last night , we've got 3 great keepers , so 2 are always going to be disappointed.

Do think one of GJ's strengths is his loyalty to those who have done well for him in the past , Weale needs a permanent contract and I think GJ is trying to help him out . That I think is one of the reasons the players want to perform for GJ

Johnson won't drop a player who is performing adequately, even if a potentially better replacement is available.

Wilson was picked to start on the right in the first game because Sproule was suspended and Murray was benched for reasons I'm sure are valid. Wilson played well and has continued to do so, so he will retain the shirt until he is injured, suspended or loses form.

Basso got injured, Weale took his place and performed well in subsequent games. Basso may be preferred by some after his heroics last season, but Weale's doing nothing wrong at the moment - and don't forget that he was assumed by most to be number one when he signed and only his injuries gave Basso the chance to impress. Now Weale should get the same chance.

I fail to see how Weale could've done anything to prevent either of those two goals last night, let alone say Basso would've done better. At the end of the day, Basso would've kept his place if he didn't lose his head in the first game and cost us QPR's first goal. His indecision is what got him injured and Weale hasn't done anything wrong to justify being dropped IMHO. The fact he got an arm to Mpenza's rocket last night was a bloody good effort and, nine times out of ten, that would've been enough to divert it over the bar.

As for Wilson, I agree he is most definately a right-back. Orr's was very poor again last night and his goal masked over the cracks in his performance. As I forecast in pre-season, I can't see him making the grade at this level unless he improves drastically which is a shame because I like his commitment and attitude for the cause. I would personally deploy Wilson at RB, with Murray on the RW and Sproule partnering Trundle. Byfield could then be used as an impact substitute once Sproule has run the legs of the oppostition defence.

On the LJ/Nobe's deabte, I'd love to see Nobe's in the middle alongside the immense Elliott. I think that could be the dream ticket in the Championship but we know that will never happen unless LJ gets an injury that lets Noble back into the side. Even then I suspect GJ would opt for Skuse or Russell to take his place as I believe he prefers to use Noble in a more attacking midfield role instead of playmaker in the engine room.

I for one would like to see Wilson at right back,I think Orr is a great worker but I doubt he has enough quality at this level,although in his defence the amount of important goals he gets is incredible.

Wilson at right wing isn't quick enough and as Man City showed,if you have a forward line with lots of pace you will cause trouble for lots of teams,I think Sproule and Byfield fit the bill on that one.

As far as Weale/Basso I prefer Basso but agree that he had no chance with the goals on wed,the Bianchi goal I thought was down to a lapse in concentration as there was no defender within 5 yards of him which undid all that hard work to get back in the game. and with a free shot at goal a player like that isn't going to miss.

I still feel that City need to learn fast that they can't switch off for one second and need to realise that they are now playing real football week in week out.

Anyhow my team for tomorrow would be;

Basso

Wilson-Carey-Fontaine-Macca

Sproule-Jono-Elliot-McIndoe

Byfield-Trundle

Sub

Weale

Orr

Skuse

Jevons

Murray

Why GJ persists with Wilson on the right flank when he is more defensive than offensive.

I assume you are not basing this comment purely on the Man City game.

Given the strength of opposition, it was inevitable he would spend big parts of the game as 'double cover' with Orr.

no no no no no yes no no no no no Wilson got 10 goals at cheltenham on the wing and if you have been to the matches this season you will see wilson on the eage of the box blasting shots and Wilson is fast when he does get going.

Yes Weale should have stopped 2 goals i can remember but his shot stopping ability is first class and don't forget these games are his first competative in a year.

With LJ and DN there two diffrent types of players playmaker and attaker. If GJ had to drop his son he would if he thought it necessary he dropped Jevons who is a close personal friend. :ranting:

Archived