IGNORED

Byfield, Why A One Year Deal?

Guest CHL

Anyone clear it up? To pay a 6 figure fee for a one year deal seems a bit odd to me. Injury concerns? Or do we have an option of increasing it if he plays a certain amount of games? Seems a bit new to me.

I would guess there's an extension option.

It's likely just a way of mitigating the risk of a signing that may not work out.

We might have paid a six figure fee but these days by far the greater expense is wages. This way if it goes wrong we don't lose 3 years wages.

Anyone clear it up? To pay a 6 figure fee for a one year deal seems a bit odd to me. Injury concerns? Or do we have an option of increasing it if he plays a certain amount of games? Seems a bit new to me.

makes perfect sense, considering his age.

His purchase price for argument's sake is £200k, his wages will be £150k-£200k.

If he doesnt work out, total outlay for the season ~£350k - £400k. If he does work out, we just offer him another deal at the season's end. With a longer deal, you're lumbered with a failing player with high wages who no-one will want, and who wont leave because he's happy with his wages. Enoch for example, wont be going anywhere until his contract runs out!

Only risk is that he does well, scores 15+, and another club takes him from us... but realistically, what club bigger than us at championship level will come in for a 32 year old? Would have to be an offer than either puts DB at a "bigger" club in his own eyes, and/or increases his money by loads. Think its a good, calculated risk.

I was worried about this deal being 6-digits and him being 31 in the new couple of months but the length of the deal put me to rest a little. If it doesn't work out then he's off and if it does I'm sure there'll be an extension option in the contract. Just hope he does the business for us.

GJ is obviously not sure if Byfield will cut it in the Prem..... :winner_third_h4h:

id say thats long enough for GJ to tell if he is worth keeping around?

It's a very strange signing all round for me (again!). Says to me that GJ isn't entirely convinced that he'll be a good investment for us or maybe his reputation preceeds himself, thus the one-year contract.

As you say, to pay a six-figure fee for him and only have him on a year's deal has got to be a first but I suppose it's moderately good business for the club if he doesn't produce or disrupts the dressing room then they can tear up his deal for next to nothing... maybe!

By having him on a one year deal it should keep him hungry all season, as he'll be playing to try and either extend his stay here or to do well enough to be in the shop window for himself for any other clubs that might be interested.

Excuse my apparant perhaps ignorance but has a figure been officially announced? Its the old secret of 'undisclosed' is it not? Perhaps we have paid a nominal fee up front (50-100k) along with added clauses depending on goals/appearances? I cannot imagine we have thrown £200k at them with the risk of losing DB for nothing at the end of the season if he shines, in fact I would be astonished if we have.

It's a very strange signing all round for me (again!). Says to me that GJ isn't entirely convinced that he'll be a good investment for us or maybe his reputation preceeds himself, thus the one-year contract.

As you say, to pay a six-figure fee for him and only have him on a year's deal has got to be a first but I suppose it's moderately good business for the club if he doesn't produce or disrupts the dressing room then they can tear up his deal for next to nothing... maybe!

where and who has said it's a six figure deal. If he's a success it will be the deal of the century believe me.

And you must be a tad cheesed off with the signing Tin as you were quite adament you thought it a bad move. Lets hope he does the business and convinces you otherwise.. a goal on saturday would have you swinging from the tree tops no doubt.

p.s. did you sort out your blackpool ticket a couple weeks back?

Archived