IGNORED

They Are Learning

Port Said Red

I noticed yesterday that almost all our players seem to have learned a valuable lesson already and that is not to over commit in the tackle. If you compare them to the game against QPR you'll see what I mean. On several occasions they were caught out by diving into tackles, only to be beaten by quicker feet and changes of direction than they are used to.

Yesterday they stayed on their feet for the most part and maintained their positions between attacker and the goal. This wont be to everyones taste and I am sure it wont be long before the shouts of "tackle him" etc will be ringing around the home support. Tackle yes, sell yourself, no there is a big difference between the two.

The next lesson I would like to seem them learn is how to iridicate what I call "the league 1 disease", this is where players wait for a pass to reach them instead of taking a step to the ball. I wont name names as I think there are several that do it. The sooner they learn the more possession they will retain, so I hope they get it soon.

Archived