IGNORED

Rugby World Cup

kiwicolin

this weekend is the start of the rugby world cup.

for me it has to be new zealand.

anybody else going to watch and who do you think will win?

i know you call us egg chasers but it still a good game to watch and play.

COME ON THE ALL BLACKS

gotta agree with you mate. Cant see past the All Blacks. I think, being on home soil, France might curprise a few people but New Zealand are in a world of their own. England will be lucky to make the quarters.

for me it has to be new zealand.

COME ON THE ALL BLACKS

Well it would be Kiwi Colin, you're from New Zealand. :doh:

For me it's England every time :englandsmile4wf: but i doubt we've a cat in Hell's chance of winning the Rugby World Cup.

I couldn't really care less either but I'll feel obliged to show pretend interest & excitement should we reach the final.

Only because it's England, not the yawn inducing "sport." :sleeping:

Taken from the Guardian:

Why the All Blacks won't win the World Cup:

1History

As every schoolboy knows, New Zealand have a lot of ghosts to exorcise. OK, they won the Webb Ellis Cup in 1987 but have found assorted ways to self-destruct ever since. They lost to Australia in the semi-finals in 1991 and 2003, fell foul of South Africa in the 1995 final and were blown away by France in the 1999 semi-finals. As the Wallaby scrum-half George Gregan gleefully reminded the 2003 side in Sydney: "Four more years, boys."

2 Hosts with the most

The All Blacks have never won the tournament on foreign soil since winning the first World Cup at home in 1987. In total the hosts have reached the final in four of the five tournaments, the exception being Wales in 1999, and won it twice.3 Peak practice

New Zealand may have won the Tri Nations but the current side are looking less invincible than they once did. "I think New Zealand peaked 18 months ago when they played the British Lions," argues the former Wallaby hooker Phil Kearns. "They have not played as well since then and I think they are starting to worry."

4 Pressure back home

As ever, the expectation from Auckland to Invercargill is suffocating. Even former All Blacks who offer well-intentioned pre-tournament opinions unwittingly turn the screw. "I think the team is well prepared, it's a quality team, it's well coached and well led, so they have every chance," muses the 1987 skipper David Kirk. "But you have to do it on the day, so there are no guarantees." No pressure, lads.

5 Midfield uncertainty

Who will play No13 in the big matches? Answers on a postcard to Graham Henry. Isaia Toeava is a talent but is still relatively raw, Conrad Smith has only just returned from long-term injury. In the last World Cup Tana Umaga's fitness problems cast a long shadow and Australia took full advantage in the semi-final in Sydney. Could it happen again?

6 Distractions

In a perfect world the All Black management would have had their players' rapt attention for the last nine months. Instead a large number of high-profile squad members have been poring over European guide books in preparation for big-money moves to English or French clubs. Carl Hayman, Luke McAllister, Chris Jack, Anton Oliver, Byron Kelleher...the list of Kiwis heading off-shore goes on.

7 Over-reliance on key players

If either Richie McCaw or Dan Carter breaks a leg, an entire nation will panic. Hayman is another key figure - no one wins a World Cup without a dominant scrum - but McCaw is the real talisman. His speed and breakdown strength are fundamental to the All Blacks' game plan but he is prone to concussion and will inevitably be the target of some heavy treatment.

8 South Africa

It has taken time but the rest of the world's elite, led by South Africa, have caught up with New Zealand's physicality. The All Blacks cannot rely on battering the Springboks into submission and, indeed, might find themselves on the receiving end from Schalk Burger, Danie Rossouw, Bakkies Botha and co. If the All Blacks start losing the collisions they will be as mortal as anyone. "They expected to go out there and smash everyone in the TriNations and I think they are asking themselves questions (like) 'My God, what's going on?'" says Kearns. "They've got a really tough draw and New Zealand won't win through to the semi-finals."

9 Easy pool matches

It is possible that Scotland and Italy will not field their strongest sides against the Kiwis in the pool stages while Romania and Portugal will be easy beats. When the heat comes on in the knockout stages, New Zealand may require time to adjust whereas others will be more battle-hardened.

10 French waitresses

It was allegedly food poisoning, the result of alledirty work by a mysterious Johannesburg waitress called Suzie, which helped to cook New Zealand's goose in 1995. Never mind Schalk and Imanol, their toughest opponents could be Françoise and Amélie . . .

Well I am sat here watching the Ozzys trounce all over the japanese. Of course, everyone knows the BIG game is later, we are going to prove to the Yanks they cant play anything rough without all their poncey American Football gear . :bones:

Archived