IGNORED

One For The Old Boys (and Girls)

Abraham Romanovich

Having read the recent threads about good and bad games.

Does any one recall this one in 1967 away at Tottenham in the FA Cup.

My recollection of the match i was 10 at the time was standing at the very front of the Paxton Road End , view obstructed by a copper sitting on the cinder track between the pitch and the wall who refused until about half time to remove his helmet.

I think Jimmy Greaves scored and the bloke in our goal was as bald as a coot.

Not sure how many City took but remember belting out Drink up thee Cider and I'm sure some fans were dressed in those village idiot smocks things

Can't remember the score.

If any one went to the match or can add any detail to my hazy recollentions would be most welcome

My recollection of the match i was 10 at the time was standing at the very front of the Paxton Road End , view obstructed by a copper sitting on the cinder track between the pitch and the wall who refused until about half time to remove his helmet.

Not sure how many City took but remember belting out Drink up thee Cider and I'm sure some fans were dressed in those village idiot smocks things

If any one went to the match or can add any detail to my hazy recollentions would be most welcome

The score was 2-0 Jimmy Greaves scored both (the second a penalty) City missed a twice taken penalty (at 1-0) The guy in our goal was'nt bald as a coot it was the legendary (ginger haired) Mike Gibson, who had a blinder, I remember after the game Tottenham fans saying 'you can leave your goalie here, we'd love to have him'.

The game was also famous for the sending off that never happend, Tottenham captain Mckay clashed with Johnny Quigley, the ref appeared to send him off, however under severe pressure from Mckay he then changed his mind, City took around 10,000 fans that day, I was 13 years old and went by train from Parson Street railway station, with my dad.

I was there, aged 12 - my dad and I went to the match on the coach which was caught up in horrendous traffic (nothing changes!) and we didn't arrive until just before half-time. Consequently, I didn't have a great view of the match but I recall seeing Jimmy Greaves stroke home a penalty which contrasted with the twice-missed penalty by City. I think that Tony Ford's first effort was saved by the keeper but had to be re-taken at which point Chris Crowe snatched the ball and made it clear that he was going to show him how to do it. He proceeded to hit his kick wider of the LH post than any I've ever seen since. Taxi for Crowe!

I've just looked up the match in the excellent "The Bristol Babe" by David M Woods. The match was a 5th Round FA Cup tie played at White Hart Lane in front of 54,610. The City team that day was (1-11): Gibson, Ford, Briggs, Parr, Connor, Low, Derrick, Crowe, Bush, Quigley, Peters.

The score was 2-0 Jimmy Greaves scored both (the second a penalty) City missed a twice taken penalty (at 1-0) The guy in our goal was'nt bald as a coot it was the legendary (ginger haired) Mike Gibson, who had a blinder, I remember after the game Tottenham fans saying 'you can leave your goalie here, we'd love to have him'.

The game was also famous for the sending off that never happend, Tottenham captain Mckay clashed with Johnny Quigley, the ref appeared to send him off, however under severe pressure from Mckay he then changed his mind, City took around 10,000 fans that day, I was 13 years old and went by train from Parson Street railway station, with my dad.

Couple of points...it was t'other way round. Ref sent off Mckay and Quigs appeald for a rethink,

Also it was more like 15k. We ran EIGHT trains ! City fans were all round the ground (well before segregation). My first away game at 15 .

I've just found a reference to the match in the aforementioned: "The Bristol Babe. The First 100 Years of Bristol City FC" by David M Woods:

" It was the FA Cup that provided Robins supporters with some of the best memories of 1966-67, the City progressing through to the Fifth Round after disposing of Halifax Town and Southampton, This round for the last sixteen teams found the Club, along with a following of about 10,000, ar White Hart Lane on March 11th taking on the might of Tottenham Hotspur, and those supporters were dismayed when Jimmy Greaves put the Spurs ahead within the first eleven minutes. However, the opportunity to equalise presented itself after fifty-five minutes when the Robins were awarded a penalty when Mike England handled a corner from Jantzen Derrick. This kick was entrusted to ony FOrd snd he hit his shot low and true, but Pat Jennings fell on his right to save. However, the referee (Ken Burns) ruled that the keeper had moved before the kick was taken so City had another chance. This time Chris Crowe took on the responsibility, but all he could do was do was to put the ball two yards wide. It was left to Jimmy Greaves to demonstrate how such kicks should be taken, when he rubbed salt into City's wound, by easily slotting one in during the last minute after Gordon Low had handled".

Well my memory has played a trick on me - I thought Crowe's kick went much futher wide that Mr Wood's account but hey ho. It was still a memorable-enough day for me to still recall much of it forty years after the event!

I should have included the next paragraph from the book also:

"The Cup run brought about the adoption of a new song by City supporters, a popular melody by Adge Cutler and the Wurzels entitled "Drink up Thee Cider", this being a feature of many a game from February [1967] onwards and was especially noticeable during the 1-0 FA Cup win over [the old] First Division Southampton on February 18th".

I was at the Southampton game too so I was present at the birth of our iconic anthem!

Thanks for all your replies as you say 40 years ago is a long time to recall all details.

I could have sworn blind that the goalie was as bald as a coot.

No disgrace in losing 2-0 , Spurs went on to win the Cup that year and as you can see from names already mentioned

Greaves , Jennings, England, Mckay( probably also Venables and Gilzean )were quite a team.

Remember it well

was behind the goal, Crowes penalty missed by miles.

Tragic bit was Gordon Lowe was supposed to take the penalties after Ford.

He ended up with almost a 100% record for the reserves after.

Thats football.

Also remember the Simi Final league cup against them. 1-1 at the gate Skiton and Gilzean.

Lost in extra time at White Hart Lane.

Gerry Sharp almost scored in the last minute of normal time to.

I'm sure one of my earliest recollections was of playing spurs in a 2 leg game, maybe semi final or something might of drew first leg 1-1 at home, I remember being in the east end but was very young at the time, possibly early seventies.

That was in the 1970/1 season. We'd beaten Rotherham, Blackpool, Leicester City, and Fulham to get to the semi-final. The first leg at Ashton Gate was on 16 December in front of 30,002 (generating receipts of £13,931 !!!). Alan Skirton put City ahead and Gilzean equalised. The City team that night was: Gibson, Jacobs, Drysdale, Whimshurst, Rooks, Parr, Skirton, Garland, Galley, Gow, Sharpe. I was in the old enclosure in front of the Williams Stand. The souvenir programme that night was one shilling (which equates to 5p after decimalisation!). Bloody hell, I feel old!

I went to the second leg with my brother on 23 December. The City team was the same with the exception of John Galley who was replaced in the line-up by Peter Spiring. It went to extra-time and we were finally finished off through goals by Martin Chivers and Jimmy Pearce. The attendance was 29,982.

Tottenham went on to beat Aston Villa in the final.

That was in the 1970/1 season. We'd beaten Rotherham, Blackpool, Leicester City, and Fulham to get to the semi-final. The first leg at Ashton Gate was on 16 December in front of 30,002 (generating receipts of £13,931 !!!). Alan Skirton put City ahead and Gilzean equalised. The City team that night was: Gibson, Jacobs, Drysdale, Whimshurst, Rooks, Parr, Skirton, Garland, Galley, Gow, Sharpe. I was in the old enclosure in front of the Williams Stand. The souvenir programme that night was one shilling (which equates to 5p after decimalisation!). Bloody hell, I feel old!

I went to the second leg with my brother on 23 December. The City team was the same with the exception of John Galley who was replaced in the line-up by Peter Spiring. It went to extra-time and we were finally finished off through goals by Martin Chivers and Jimmy Pearce. The attendance was 29,982.

Tottenham went on to beat Aston Villa in the final.

I was there as well, being so close to xmas we only took about 2000. Sharp had a diving header in the last min. but couldn't quite connect other wise we'd been through to Wembley. I remember Perryman took a corner but kicked the FLAG instead, oh how we laughed!

Archived