IGNORED

Selective Memories Re Wilson

Milo

Although I read the forum alot I'm not a regular poster - the forum can be a hostile place if you show support for Danny Wilson. So despite anticipating a barrage of abuse for this posting, I thought I'd try to balance up the argument with my view on the following anti-Wilson accusations:

He's had 4 Years

Danny inherited a rocking boat with a massive payroll problem that couldn't be supported in the 2nd division. A commendable gamble on players and wages in our one season in the 1st became a problem exacerbated by Pulis bringing in more players on expensive wages (Beadle, Jones etc). After purchasing Peacock, the club could no longer support the manager with cash signings. We had to rely on acedemy products. Despite this, we flirt with the playoffs in his first year and miss out by one place in the 2nd year.

At the end of that year, we still have problems with the payroll and we lose Tony Thorpe without making a significant signing. We start that season (20 months ago) thinking we have no chance. However, the players Danny has brought on over his two years are the 2nd best team in the division (cruelly robbed of an auto spot by an inferior Crewe) and we win a cup.

This season, we lose Scott Murray and in making two excellent signings for the future, we fail to replace him ****il last week). Having lost potency in attack, Danny states his intentions of doing it the Wigan way with a tight defence - duly serving up the 2nd best winning streak in the club's history. We're third in the league with 7 games to go with the best defensive record and while the trend of the last 7 games is a big worry, the fat lady ain't even warming up yet.

He Plays Players out of Position

Eriksson wouldn't pick England's best left winger (Le Saux?) for left of midfield, preferring to try Gerrard or a host of others out of position there. Ferguson played Beckham on the right, Eriksson has played him in the middle. Ferguson plays Phil Neville in the middle, Erikkson has played him at full back. Which of these managers is wrong? I'd suggest none of them - they simply pick the best players for the best positions they can. Our pool of potential players is not as big as Man Ure, Liverpool or England so the manager has to do even more juggling.

Tinman played the majority of his career on the left side of midfield - Wilson cannot be accused of being inept for trying him there occasionally. Wilkshire's not a right winger but I have no problem in Danny trying him right side of midfield when Tommy and Tinman are fit.

Wilson's tactics are boring

106 goals last years wasn't boring. He's tried a different gameplan this year which has resulted in us being 3rd in April. I agree its been less fun this year, but Murray's return might spice it up again. It doesn't make Wilson a lost cause on the entertainment front.

Smaller Clubs Keep Doing Better than Us

Yup, its frustrating, but only three teams can be promoted. Last year, two of the three were moneybags and the other had maintained a 1st division squad. We have no devine right to the 1st division, especially when we are trying to do it primarily on the back of acedemy products. As stated earlier, 20 months ago we didn't have a hope for promotion.

Smaller clubs tend to buy experienced players - men not boys. Our lads have shown a lack of experience when its counted in the last three years, bless 'em. So what do you do when the kids start showing nerves? Bring in some experience (about 89 years of experience signed in three players last Thursday).

Look, I'm not saying he's perfect. I just think he's done a credible job in the circumstances and deserves our backing.

Guest QPRFC

me to got my vote I'm sure he will get QPR promoted this year Hmm, yeah that's really funny Tarquin. ....joking aside he is the best bristol city could get in as a manager , but wwhen you win the playoffs you could aim higher with regards to managers , a bit like us with holloway

Although I read the forum alot I'm not a regular poster - the forum can be a hostile place if you show support for Danny Wilson. So despite anticipating a barrage of abuse for this posting, I thought I'd try to balance up the argument with my view on the following anti-Wilson accusations:

He's had 4 Years

Danny inherited a rocking boat with a massive payroll problem that couldn't be supported in the 2nd division. A commendable gamble on players and wages in our one season in the 1st became a problem exacerbated by Pulis bringing in more players on expensive wages (Beadle, Jones etc). After purchasing Peacock, the club could no longer support the manager with cash signings. We had to rely on acedemy products. Despite this, we flirt with the playoffs in his first year and miss out by one place in the 2nd year.

At the end of that year, we still have problems with the payroll and we lose Tony Thorpe without making a significant signing. We start that season (20 months ago) thinking we have no chance. However, the players Danny has brought on over his two years are the 2nd best team in the division (cruelly robbed of an auto spot by an inferior Crewe) and we win a cup.

This season, we lose Scott Murray and in making two excellent signings for the future, we fail to replace him ****il last week). Having lost potency in attack, Danny states his intentions of doing it the Wigan way with a tight defence - duly serving up the 2nd best winning streak in the club's history. We're third in the league with 7 games to go with the best defensive record and while the trend of the last 7 games is a big worry, the fat lady ain't even warming up yet.

Eriksson wouldn't pick England's best left winger (Le Saux?) for left of midfield, preferring to try Gerrard or a host of others out of position there. Ferguson played Beckham on the right, Eriksson has played him in the middle. Ferguson plays Phil Neville in the middle, Erikkson has played him at full back. Which of these managers is wrong? I'd suggest none of them - they simply pick the best players for the best positions they can. Our pool of potential players is not as big as Man Ure, Liverpool or England so the manager has to do even more juggling.

Tinman played the majority of his career on the left side of midfield - Wilson cannot be accused of being inept for trying him there occasionally. Wilkshire's not a right winger but I have no problem in Danny trying him right side of midfield when Tommy and Tinman are fit.

106 goals last years wasn't boring. He's tried a different gameplan this year which has resulted in us being 3rd in April. I agree its been less fun this year, but Murray's return might spice it up again. It doesn't make Wilson a lost cause on the entertainment front.

Yup, its frustrating, but only three teams can be promoted. Last year, two of the three were moneybags and the other had maintained a 1st division squad. We have no devine right to the 1st division, especially when we are trying to do it primarily on the back of acedemy products. As stated earlier, 20 months ago we didn't have a hope for promotion.

Smaller clubs tend to buy experienced players - men not boys. Our lads have shown a lack of experience when its counted in the last three years, bless 'em. So what do you do when the kids start showing nerves? Bring in some experience (about 89 years of experience signed in three players last Thursday).

Look, I'm not saying he's perfect. I just think he's done a credible job in the circumstances and deserves our backing.

A fine analysis Milo. However when we get outplayed by a Port Vale side assembled at a cost of £25,000 the first thought that crops up in my mind is that Danny Wilson is a fraud. Wilson had the players to make Div 1 in his first season in charge.

In conclusion, if we don't make Div 1 this year then Danny Wilson has to go so as to give someone else a chance.

Recomendation - Ever heard of the old saying "it's like flogging a dead horse"? - well Wilson is like that dead old nag. WILSON OUT

Guest DANBOY_BCFC
However when we get outplayed by a Port Vale side assembled at a cost of £25,000 the first thought that crops up in my mind is that Danny Wilson is a fraud. Wilson had the players to make Div 1 in his first season in charge.

Outplayed? Were you at Vale Park?? If you were, what game were you watching??

Both teams were cack, none were better than the other, nothing happened except the goals, crap game.

Why is Wilson getting so much stick on here, and Lee Peacock. Peacock has had about 4 good chances in 12 games and scored one from a rebound, how can he score any without the ball coming to him and chances being made??

Time for the "Wilson knockers" to get off his back and just see what happens, if we c*ck up again then maybe he can be critisied, until then get behind him and the boys.

If we were top now with 100% record some of you people on here would still whinge.

Guest QPRFC

danboy same old problem every where mate we beat blackpool 5-0 opening day of the season and people still moaned that we did not get 6 or 7 .....thing is everyone loves there club no matter what team it is .......... most people i find dont even go to games and just look at results and moan .some people are never happy !!!

Guest DANBOY_BCFC
danboy same old problem every where mate we beat blackpool 5-0 opening day of the season and people still moaned that we did not get 6 or 7 .....thing is everyone loves there club no matter what team it is .......... most people i find dont even go to games and just look at results and moan .some people are never happy !!!
Very true QPRFC, I think that is the case with a few around these parts, good to see were getting such good crowds when we're not winning 11 in a row, oh hold on, we arent are we. Part timers, good crowds against you and Plymouth are a sure thing, then during the game most of the moaners will be the ones who go to the Gate once a year.

It winds me up :dunno:

Guest QPRFC

could not have put it any better danboy ...shame the fans in here are not as commited as your self or city would be in the premiship .....you follow your team through good and bad , i may change my job , my car ,my house and even my wife but i know I'm RANGERS till i die as I'm sure your CITY till you die

Both teams were cack, none were better than the other, nothing happened except the goals, crap game.

Why is Wilson getting so much stick on here, and Lee Peacock. Peacock has had about 4 good chances in 12 games and scored one from a rebound, how can he score any without the ball coming to him and chances being made??

Time for the "Wilson knockers" to get off his back and just see what happens, if we c*ck up again then maybe he can be critisied, until then get behind him and the boys.

If we were top now with 100% record some of you people on here would still whinge.

I was at Vale Park sat behind the yellow submarine crew. We were beaten at Vale Park by a Port Vale side allegedly assembled at a cost of £25,000. As for Lee Peacock he missed a real sitter right in front of us when his head failed to make any kind of contact with a superb cross travelling just one yard across the goal.

Guest DANBOY_BCFC
could not have put it any better danboy ...shame the fans in here are not as commited as your self or city would be in the premiship .....you follow your team through good and bad , i may change my job , my car ,my house and even my wife but i know I'm RANGERS till i die as I'm sure your CITY till you die
I accept as fans we wanna see our team do well and we're all paying customers and want value for money therefore we're entitled to voice our opinions but to want your manager out when we're in a good position and at this stage of the season is daft, something only contemplated by our North Bristol neighbours!

He's had 4 Years

This season, we lose Scott Murray and in making two excellent signings for the future, we fail to replace him (until last week). Having lost potency in attack, Danny states his intentions of doing it the Wigan way with a tight defence - duly serving up the 2nd best winning streak in the club's history. We're third in the league with 7 games to go with the best defensive record and while the trend of the last 7 games is a big worry, the fat lady ain't even warming up yet.

if you support wilson that is fine no problem with that,

i'm just fed up with inconsistent team selections, poor excuses,

this season he blames everything but himself and the players

oh the wind beat us today?,

what was it 2 seasons ago, our bristol born players are young

and inexperienced give them time and they will come good,

yes in a way they are more experienced and play some good

stuff at times but we have still got nowhere in league progress

you can score as many goals as you like but if the other team

gets more than you it is still a road to nowhere, we over play

at times and are not direct enough going for goal we tend to

try and walk the ball in.

we should be in

div.1 now if it wasn't for his lets play 9 defenders at home to stockport

last season when pushing for promotion at home we get beat, chesterfield,

notts county stupid tactics at crewe where we got 1-1 in the end

the list is endless, like i've said give him till the end of the season

as i have set myself that we won't go up on current form and

games to go it is a tall order, i won't boo him or the players but

if we don't go up he really does have to think about his job

and so does our chairman with him. :dunno:

Flipin 'eck mate, I thought I was a 'happy clappy' but this spin and a half! Your glass isn't just half full, it's overflowing with positivity. Well done! Nonetheless I have to make a few comments...

"After purchasing Peacock, the club could no longer support the manager with cash signings. We had to rely on acedemy products. Despite this, we flirt with the playoffs in his first year and miss out by one place in the 2nd year."

Or you could take the view that we paid way above the odds (in 2nd division terms) for a striker who has never set the 2nd division alight. Despite the quality youngsters graduating from the Academy, Wilson's team still fail to reach the playoffs in his first two seasons.

"At the end of that year, we still have problems with the payroll and we lose Tony Thorpe without making a significant signing. We start that season (20 months ago) thinking we have no chance. However, the players Danny has brought on over his two years are the 2nd best team in the division (cruelly robbed of an auto spot by an inferior Crewe) and we win a cup."

Alternatively, it could be argued that we were the THIRD best team in the division that season, since we accrued the third highest number of points. Nevertheless, we win the LDV Vans Trophy.....

"This season, we lose Scott Murray and in making two excellent signings for the future, we fail to replace him ****il last week). Having lost potency in attack, Danny states his intentions of doing it the Wigan way with a tight defence - duly serving up the 2nd best winning streak in the club's history. We're third in the league with 7 games to go with the best defensive record and while the trend of the last 7 games is a big worry, the fat lady ain't even warming up yet."

We go on an impressive 11 game winning run, but worryingly, many of the performances are poor and wins are scraped by the odd goal. In more recent games we are leaking soft goals, losing is becoming a habit and the Fat Lady can indeed be heard loudly practising her pentatonic major scales in the corridors of the Atyeo Stand.

"Tinman played the majority of his career on the left side of midfield"

But achieved true greatness when he moved inside - his most effective position.

"106 goals last years wasn't boring. He's tried a different gameplan this year which has resulted in us being 3rd in April. I agree its been less fun this year, but Murray's return might spice it up again. It doesn't make Wilson a lost cause on the entertainment front."

I hope you're right, but it's a little late to hope for entertainment at this stage?!

"Yup, its frustrating, but only three teams can be promoted. Last year, two of the three were moneybags and the other had maintained a 1st division squad. We have no devine right to the 1st division, especially when we are trying to do it primarily on the back of acedemy products. As stated earlier, 20 months ago we didn't have a hope for promotion."

We've spent more than any other club in this division. We really should be top. No excuses.

"Look, I'm not saying he's perfect. I just think he's done a credible job in the circumstances and deserves our backing."

I've generally been in agreement with that over the past four years, I have been a LOUD AND PROUD DANNY WILSON SUPPORTER! But with the resources he's had available to him, you have to say that it's a story of underachievement. Sturrage has produced far more with far less in a shorter timescale. Holloway and King could conceivably emulate that. We can't afford NOT to be in division 1. How long do we hold on to Danny, (lovely guy that he is)?

If both teams were "kack" than that proves Goblins point, assembled for £25,000, and er how much have we spent?

The wages problems have gone in the main, and this year, ourselves QPR, and Sheff Wed were the three sides favorites to go up. None of us have lit the Div up, Wed especially, but while QPR grind results out as in 2-2 at Wycombe we go and lose. Our current standard of play is unacceptable for the highest spending team in the division.

Wilson, remember decides who we're going to buy, so if the players who are warming the bench aint good enough after buying em, er why buy em.

Goblins right he is a fraud, good coach, decent bloke, but not the best manager in the division. We have hit the manager has taken the team as far as he can point in the game, I feel.

Come on you Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeds!!

Guest swindonite

If Wilson doesn't get you up this year then I presume he'll be sacked?

Resource wise he's probably got the best deal in the division and one of the biggest squads. How many other clubs in the 2nd division have an acadamey to get players from and have spent the money Wilson has?

As an outsider I can't believe some City fans still stick up for him, fair enough if like most clubs in the 2nd division he'd barely spent a penny and had administrations etc to deal with. Maybe he'll be leading you into admin next season if you're still in D2?

Just let the bloke get on with it... It's his job and his choice... He'll be just as gutted as us if we don't make it!

Listen to what Milo says... year on year improvements since Wilson took charge!

Let's just support him for now and if it all goes pair shaped THEN we can start asking questions!

WILSON IN!!!

First of all Milo good post best one arguing for Wilson for a long time.

But i agree with mr swindonite. He had probaly the most money in the whole division couple with the support of the academy int he south west. So yes he was given a mess to sort out but with that sort of money and the academy i just feel we should be out of this division by now.

If we go up we have made progress every year with that in mind i would support Wilson for another year, however at the moment if we carry on like we are playing we will not go up and thats for sure. If we don't i think hes been given a more than generous crack of the whip.

As for Danboy_BCFC i think your points are pathetic. Sorry but as soon as you said most of the people who are saying Wilson should go are people that don't go week in week out, how can you say that. How many people on this forum could walk past you and you could know who they are?

So how the hell could you know that all the people that are saying what we are about Wilson are "part-timers"?

I am a very loyal and passionate fan, its hurts to see city year after year fail, expecially after the manager has been backed with money, an F.A academy and time. We have all got behind him up to now and i haven't heard no one get on his back at the ground yet. Te lack of effort and passion shown by the players and management hurts as well after so much time, effort and money has been put in to go and support them.

I do go to 90% of the games and have only missed a few games in the past few seasons. This would only be because of lack of money or work commitments.

I'm all for people having opposing view its what makesthis forum such a fun place, but Dan please make sure you use your head and have facts to back up your posting before posting such silly things.

Wilson in untill end of the season if he doesn't come up with the goods wilson out.

Seems fair enough to me?

Danny MUST stay. I can remember YEARS of hearing chanting at Ashton Gate "DICKS OUT"...... (stop smilin, you know what I'm talking about). The crowd moaned and groaned "Why does he keep picking that bloke Gow" "Oh NO, he's now picked a full back to play in goal" "He spent all that money on that forward from Norwich and puts him straight in the reserves ( Cheesley )..etc etc. All are now LEGENDS!!!!

Keep the faith.

He's had 4 Years

Agree with that, however please note, DW signed LP and that is more cash than most Div 2 managers get in three seasons!

Two points and this covers SL as well as DW.When a player is approaching the last year of his contract the managers MUST decide if he wants to keep him.Is it likely or unlikely.At that point you offer him a contract and give him two weeks to accept it.If he doesn't he's transfer listed.

The same mistake happened with Liam Rosenior and I'm not being wise after the vent I cautioned SL about it 8 months before.

This season, we lose Scott Murray and in making two excellent signings for the future,

That could be the point.We didn't have to buy for the future.That, to a large degree is what the Academy's for.We needed one or two for right now and that's where DW failed.

Having lost potency in attack, Danny states his intentions of doing it the Wigan way with a tight defence - duly serving up the 2nd best winning streak in the club's history. We're third in the league with 7 games to go with the best defensive record and while the trend of the last 7 games is a big worry, the fat lady ain't even warming up yet.

Given our players experience, levels of strength and physical fitness, we were never, ever, going to "do a Wigan."Where's our Nathan Ellington up front?

we fail to replace him (SM) ****il last week).

We knew, 30 games ago, that we were lacking and we'd signed a BT replacement ,not a SM replacement.Everyone said so after 4/5 games.

Simply put, Tinman wasn't 36 when he played there previously and whilst he's never been quick, he was quicker.

Wilkshire doesn't have the pace to play wide in our team and is far better suited in central midfield.If he played for Man Utd and had far better players around him perhaps it would be a different issue.

Wilson's moves are more about accommodating players, like when he dropped Woodman, runied the young mans confidence to accommodate Hill/Butler.

Ferguson signed Veron for £28m, realised he's dropped one and off loaded him so he didn't keep playingScholes out of position.They all make mistakes, I appreciate that.

especially when we are trying to do it primarily on the back of acedemy products.

I don't agree with that.

DW has signed Miller, Roberts, Butler, Wilkshire, Murray, Peacock, Goodfellow & Matthews, so he hasn't been starved of cash, as of late.We had £600k on the bench on Saturday in three of his signings

It has been boring this year, without always being effective and lack of goals has/will cost us dear

I take your point about signings and experience, but it's the timing that infuriates me.

Eight weeks ago was about right, not 6 days ago and the fact that DW does the same daft things, one match after another and will not admit it didn't work, even when one of the players drops a massive hint on the club website that he doesn't like playing there, says it all.

Playing Woodman on the left wing with Goodfellow on the bench, after we spend £100k of our hard earned on him?

I'm sorry. No one's saying DW is the anti-christ but some of his selections and tactics are just laughable......if you weren't crying!

A common theme to replies here has been another accusation against Wilson that I didn't mention, namely:

Wilson's had loads of Money to Spend

Lee Peacock was Danny Wilson's first signing 4 years ago for £600K. At about the same time, Leicester signed Akinbiyi from Wolves for £5M. It was a different era when all player's prices were inflated. A £600K signing then is not the same as a £600K signing now.

We have been the biggest spenders this season but have we not also been the biggest sellers? Miller and Wilkshire were bought with Murray cash - they cancelled each other out. You cannot ignore the effect of this expensive departure, only looking at expensive arrivals.

Murray's back now, but we can't judge Wilson's performance with Murray back after only one game. I take Bristol Boy's point that he could have signed experience rather than potential, but if we get up this year with 'two for the future', it's a gamble that will have paid off richly.

The remaining 4 signings of his 4 year tenure - Roberts, Butler, Goodfellow and Matthews - were all around the £100K mark. It doesn't put Wilson in the Claudio Ranieri mould of moneyspenders or even in the Paul Jewell mould for that matter.

It doesn't put Wilson in the Claudio Ranieri mould of moneyspenders or even in the Paul Jewell mould for that matter.

Wilson, with all the money and resources available to him, has still not beaten Terry Cooper's tenure as BCFC manager. Terry Cooper got us promotion and won us the Freight Rover trophy on a shoestring budget. Wilson's record of signings and success is very poor in comparison to that of Terry Cooper.

Archived