IGNORED

New Keeper?

Guest DANBOY_BCFC

Guest DANBOY_BCFC

Personally I think yes. Stevie has cost us some valuable points this season, then again he's saved us some too I suppose, never the less I feel he's a liability and he should be replaced as 1st choice next season, particularly if we go up.

Strengths

Shot Stopping - Fantastic, best in the division.

Weaknesses

Cant catch a ball, flaps at the ball, very very bad distribution, poor postitional sense, off his line/out of position too much and more but its 1am and i've made my point. Poor judgement too, he's cost us goals against Wycombe, Tranmere and Stockport to name just 3, its not good enough.

He doesnt command his area, he doesnt organise properly and I feel we need someone who has a better allround game than SP.

He seems to be a favourite on here from past posts so this should be interesting!!

Guest DANBOY_BCFC

And for the record I'm not slagging him off, I just feel the GK area needs improvement and we need a better more consistent goalie.

Personally I think yes. Stevie has cost us some valuable points this season, then again he's saved us some too I suppose, never the less I feel he's a liability and he should be replaced as 1st choice next season, particularly if we go up.

Strengths

Weaknesses

Cant catch a ball, flaps at the ball, very very bad distribution, poor postitional sense, off his line/out of position too much and more but its 1am and i've made my point. Poor judgement too, he's cost us goals against Wycombe, Tranmere and Stockport to name just 3, its not good enough.

He doesnt command his area, he doesnt organise properly and I feel we need someone who has a better allround game than SP.

He seems to be a favourite on here from past posts so this should be interesting!!

i'm starting to think the same teams have sussed us on

set pieces where most of our goals conceded have come

from corners, free kicks and crosses he does not like to

deal with, i think phillips needs a decent keeper as a no2 up his

backside to keep him on his toes, mike stowell is our goal keeping coach

but is phillips no2, so we have a number 2 coaching the number 1

hmmm not good is it :dunno:

Scott Brown - Seems as if he will be good enough as cover for Steve. Only seen him play once, but was very impressed.

Perhaps if we were in a position to bring a better keeper in than Steve (no point in getting back up - You always try to better what you already have), then I would say yes.

I can think of a few more positions that need strengthing ahead of the goalkeeper though.

Whilst I think of it though, I don't think Alexander has played much for Cardiff lately :dunno:

and crosses he does not like to

deal with,

Thats cos he's a vampire :P ...wheres me coat?.....

I dont think any of the back four trust him.I been watching him since his first app and some parts of his game have just never improved.

For athleticsm(?) and stopping----excellent

Distribution----- uninspired but solid.

Kicking---generally good.

communication---poor

Anticipation---- v.poor,indecisive.

Crossing--- ok but hardly ever comes for em.

All in all he's an ok 2nd/1st div keeper that badley needs some competition :dunno:

Guest Shaunyb

i think steve was a really good young goal kepper but he has now gotta make the step to become an experienced one

if he donsn't then i am with dan boy hes gotta go

i feel his kicking is still not the best but has improve so much now hes got 2 do that on other parts of his game.

he will not get away with flapping the ball away in div 1

Shauny B

come on you reds

u can do it

He's not getting away with flapping in this division either! He's not a confidence man and it spreads to the back 4. If Wilson is serious about being another Wigan and have a defence as tight as a duck's botty then a keeper who can command the six yard box is essential. Phillips cannot.

I think we need a quality expirenced keeper. Phillips is one hell of a keeper, but he knows full well that he is pretty much guarenteed a start, and although not conciously, his performances have got steadily worse since mercer retired. Phillips was comming on leaps and bounds when Mercer was here, but ever since he retired and Stowell took over Phillips game has gone backwards if anything.

Phillips can with a bit of good coaching, become a very, very good keeper, but it seems that he just does not work on his weaknesses anymore in training, like he did when mercer was coaching him, before Mercer retired, Phillips was improving rapidly, his kicking improved 10 fold and his command of the box was getting better, but as soon as Mercer went Phillips has slowly gone backwards.

Phillips still needs a mentor at the club, a keeper who is unequivically better than him, like Mercer who will teach him and work on his weaknesses, not stowell who is not even close to being as good as phillips.

I would say we need a new keeper, if only to give SP a kick up the arse and give him a bit of competition.

Stowell is no longer competition for SP and should be solely concentrating on the coaching aspect of his job.

Strengths

Weaknesses

Definetly and we need to release Stowell.

Archived