IGNORED

Does Anyone Understand?

bobby

Now I have been thinking about this since Sat as it was my first real direct experience of this at an away game (apart from a small amount at Wrexham) so was hoping others on here could help or comment......

At PV I sat on the far left of our stand - better view and no posts in the way. Just before the game started a group of lads came over and stood in front of us.

I observed the folllowing behaviour from this particular group of fans.......

1. Obscene hand gestures and glares made towards PV fans continually (so how they saw any of the game I have no idea)

2. Shouting abuse at PV fans continually (even though I'm sure they couldn't hear)

3. 2nd half everytime city were attacking the goal just in front of us, continual verbal abuse at our own players

4. Standing making obscene gestures at our own players when up our end of the pitch

5. Torrent of anti welsh abuse aimed at Roberts whenever he was close enough to hear

Now these were not 14-15 year olds, they were older than that, some by quite a bit. They seemed to only be enjoying themselves when swearing and gesturing -not a positive word or cheer seemed to come from them. They stood as much as they could obscuring the view for everyone else (even though they were close to the front). Now I know this is not unusual at football and I understand that, but why position themselves in an area where families were sitting rather than at the back of the stand?

So why? Why do these people go to away games (or any games) they didn't seem to be interested in the football or in supporting city. :@

If anyone on here saw or was part of that group of lads maybe you could help me to understand, because I am genuinely struggling with this one. :dunno:

Any by the way - thanks lads for really ruining my enjoyment of the game, because you did and for many of the other supporters around it would seem! :D

That was also my experience, to be honest.

I travelled up there with my dad - a young 72, and my misses who is 9 months pregnant - yes 9 months - you may have seen her waddling with a pillow under her arm !. My enjoyment of the game was somewhat ruined by the mindless element, namely the people who were more intent on making a scene than watching the game (I have no problem with foul language or excitement, but find it a little sad that people direct it at others, including their own fans who 'weren't being loud enough!' I also had some great big lad who moved behind us just into the 2nd half (when Roberts appeared) and slagged him off before he even had a touch of the ball. When we said that perhaps he should at least allow him 5 minutes, or a touch of the ball, before laying into him with the usual anti-Welsh barrage of abuse he was arrogant and rude to my old man - even though I'm sure my old man (ex Bristol Rugby player) would still beat him in a 60 yd dash !!

Atmosphere and passion from the fans is excellent, and to be encouraged at all times, but lets keep our focus - the same as we expect the Team to.

I am firmly of the opinion that if this team had Sturrock we'd be up by now.
Totally agree with the Sturrock point.

On the abuse thing, if it's premeditated, as the original posters comments suggest, then I agree.

I myself (I know you won't believe this) have been known, on occasions, to use some profanity and, yes, direct it at the manager, players, ref etc, etc.I think we've all done it in the heat of the moment.

I'm not proud of it or suggesting it's good, clever, the right thing to do, sensible or anything else.It just happens and on my part, it's borne out of utter frustration at what I see before me.

For the record, I don't expect Roy Keane box to box type runs from Tommy, Thierry Henry pace from Peacock, Beckamesque 70 yard passes from Louis Carey or to see control on a sixpence from Tony Butler....in fact, not even control on a dustbin lid! :D

However, I have to confess to being "somewhat miffed," when our players don't do the basics of their job correctly.You know, a bit like a bricklayer being able to, well, er.......lay bricks! :dunno:

On a more serious note, I will also say that the crowd at AG ten or twenty years ago, was far more impatient, critical and aggressive than in todays more sanitised world.

On reason for an attitude of intolerance in fans, are the salaries earned and the jealousy (conscious and sub conscious) that creates.

We will not except someone on £2/3,000pw at AG, doing something we'd have got b0llock*d ridgid for in a Downs League team.

Sturrock put his lads on a building site for a week and then asked them what they'd prefer doing for a job.....not many choose building.

The team & DW need to get THEIR act together.

The fans are ALL doing their bit.

I am firmly of the opinion that if this team had Sturrock we'd be up by now.
Totally agree with the Sturrock point.

On the abuse thing, if it's premeditated, as the original posters comments suggest, then I agree.

I myself (I know you won't believe this) have been known, on occasions, to use some profanity and, yes, direct it at the manager, players, ref etc, etc.I think we've all done it in the heat of the moment.

I'm not proud of it or suggesting it's good, clever, the right thing to do, sensible or anything else.It just happens and on my part, it's borne out of utter frustration at what I see before me.

For the record, I don't expect Roy Keane box to box type runs from Tommy, Thierry Henry pace from Peacock, Beckamesque 70 yard passes from Louis Carey or to see control on a sixpence from Tony Butler....in fact, not even control on a dustbin lid! :D

However, I have to confess to being "somewhat miffed," when our players don't do the basics of their job correctly.You know, a bit like a bricklayer being able to, well, er.......lay bricks! :dunno:

On a more serious note, I will also say that the crowd at AG ten or twenty years ago, was far more impatient, critical and aggressive than in todays more sanitised world.

On reason for an attitude of intolerance in fans, are the salaries earned and the jealousy (conscious and sub conscious) that creates.

We will not except someone on £2/3,000pw at AG, doing something we'd have got b0llock*d ridgid for in a Downs League team.

Sturrock put his lads on a building site for a week and then asked them what they'd prefer doing for a job.....not many choose building.

The team & DW need to get THEIR act together.

The fans are ALL doing their bit.

By what criteria do you regard Sturrock in such a bad light? His management record is far better than Danny Wilson's, the record speak for themselves. I'd like to know how you come to this conclusion, if you are in fact able to. And please not with any profanity, lets have a considered and sensible opinion.

STURROCKS A ###### - Don't be fooled silly boys WEVE GOT THE BEST NOW LETS CHEER EM TO THE 1st DIVISION

DANNY IS THE KING

Er......yeah right, far out maaaaaaaaaaaaaan, whatever:Cool27: :Cool27: :Cool27: :Cool27: :Cool27: :Cool27: :Cool27: :dunno::D:cool::D

Good stuff Bristol Bwoy,dont normally agree with you :P but cant argue much with any of that.

Jealousy and the need to live through the players.Impatience with our progress out(hopefully) of this div,its all there.

The players must feel it,i bet they come on here to(the brave ones :P ). And so the expectation becomes huge as does the dissapointment/joy out of all proportion!

What else could do this but our beloved national game? Dont ya love it???? :cool:

Bobby

So why? Why do these people go to away games (or any games) they didn't seem to be interested in the football or in supporting city.

It provides an outlet for their resentment and inadequacies(spl)+ a perverse satisfaction in failure+ low self esteem+ i dont know :dunno: its beyond me and I doubt "they" could tell you either..

I never see any of this in the Ateyo...Any body else??or is it an "away" thing?

Dont go away much meself :D

Archived