IGNORED

Xtc

fRed

A brilliant band.

Amazingly there's also that infamous Paris gig that meant I never got to see the (then) greatest band in the world play live:

Where it all ended

For you youngsters they were far bigger than U2 at the time. But that on-stage collapse through nerves meant no more touring and the music fell back to being bedroom versions of The Kinks wirth only occasional brilliance to show what might have been. Very sad.

A brilliant band.

Amazingly there's also that infamous Paris gig that meant I never got to see the (then) greatest band in the world play live:

Where it all ended

For you youngsters they were far bigger than U2 at the time. But that on-stage collapse through nerves meant no more touring and the music fell back to being bedroom versions of The Kinks wirth only occasional brilliance to show what might have been. Very sad.

What, they were Kinkesque were they Eddie? Well that is very sad if the case.

'Xtc' added to the 'worth remembering' department of my memory forgettery.

This is one of their later minor hits:

But they peaked in '82 just before Andy's on-stage collapse with English Settlement from which the best song was:

Still one of my favourite ever tracks.

The question was: Where would they go next? Sadly it was backwards just like City in that period.

Bit unfair to dismiss ALL the later stuff - "Love On A Farmboys Wages" was a great song, my personal fave of theirs. Twas a mystery to me why they weren't bigger.

I'd dig "Black Sea" out and stick it on for a spin, but, haven't got a deck and the LP is in storage 4.500 miles away. Anyone got a torrent link for it?

Bit unfair to dismiss ALL the later stuff - "Love On A Farmboys Wages" was a great song, my personal fave of theirs. Twas a mystery to me why they weren't bigger.

I liked it as well, but it wasn't great. Their progression had been amazing up to English Settlement but realistically that was it as far as development went.

The obvious comparisons are two very similar bands:

U2 were much les popular than XTC up to 82, but they kept getting better. The Joshua Tree ?85 was superb and they keep churing out great songs; I wasn't that impressed when I saw them live though.

REM used to do XTC songs in their early live gigs. A band that would also have descending into arty noodlings were it not for their relentless touring schedule that meant they kept getting better and better by writing songs that worked. Document was their first decent album and that was about their fourth, but they kept going and improving. Green, Out of Time, Automatic etc.

Beg to differ WTFiGO!?! ......... I love XTC . not everything they ever did but a lot of it

I saw them first in 1978 ........ and they really were something very very different from the normal type of band you might have seem then............ they left an impression on me.

Then we were treated to some very classy singles and albums....... followed by 'the Dukes' which again hit a chord way before 'Others' caught the wave of 60's rehashed Psychedelia

I rate them XTC or the other forms of XTC ............ very much a class act!

Archived