IGNORED

More On Basso

Pete1975Legend

Basso performances are just getting better and better with each passing game. Ok he failed to claim one punch he went for but in the second half when he was pushed by there man and no free kick was forthcoming he still had enough ability to claw the ball away from under the bar.

Basso is turning into an all round keeper and when there were people moaning and groaning about him, he continued to develop his game and it's just a shame we did not bring him in 5 years earlier when we had no competition for our previopus keeper.

Basso we applaud you and long may your reign as citys No1 continue.

O Basso, O Basso, O Basso, O Basso :Believe: :Believe:

Basso performances are just getting better and better with each passing game. Ok he failed to claim one punch he went for but in the second half when he was pushed by there man and no free kick was forthcoming he still had enough ability to claw the ball away from under the bar.

Basso is turning into an all round keeper and when there were people moaning and groaning about him, he continued to develop his game and it's just a shame we did not bring him in 5 years earlier when we had no competition for our previopus keeper.

Basso we applaud you and long may your reign as citys No1 continue.

O Basso, O Basso, O Basso, O Basso :Believe: :Believe:

I don't think you can dismiss his mistake quite so quickly as you do. On another day would of cost us a goal and who knows how the game would of panned out from there.

I do like Basso and do think he should be number one as it stands, but you just know the next clanger is just around the corner.

I don't think you can dismiss his mistake quite so quickly as you do. On another day would of cost us a goal and who knows how the game would of panned out from there.

I do like Basso and do think he should be number one as it stands, but you just know the next clanger is just around the corner.

One mistake in the whole game. He made some good saves AGAIN and was always there when we needed him. One moment of his game that really stuck out for me on saturday was when the ball was played forward and Basso raced out of his goal by about 25-30 yards to beat the attacker (and our defender) to the ball and clear it for a throw back in coventry's half!

Ok he made ONE mistake, and why was this?

well from every corner and set play Coventry had, Arijean De Zeeuw was consistantly impeding Basso, deliberatly trying to block his attempts to gather the ball, and only once was a foul actually given.

But with the mistake put aside (as everybody makes mistakes and he was lucky not to get punished) he was fantastic again Saturday.

Ooooohhh Basso, Oooohhhhh Basso

Made one very brave save at the feet of one of their players when he cold have had his head kicked off, leads from the back and the defence know it.

That was one thing about Phillips when he was here our defence never really trusted him and passing back to him was not an option.

I agree with that 100%. There's no doubt he's come on leaps and bounds in his time with us but you're quite right when you say 'on another day that mistake will cost us', because it will.

I appreciate that he is a 'cult hero' with the majority of the fans but he is error prone IMO and I'd be interested to hear the opinions of those of you praising him now when the next clanger arrives and costs us points.

Or the time the next danger arrives and he saves us points perhaps.

Was listening to Five Live on Saturday afternoon (couldn't get World, surprise, surprise). They occasionally went over to the Ricoh for updates and at one point the commentator advised Coventry to pepper Basso with shots as he looked a bit dodgy. Then someone said that he used to be his manager and that he could best be described as "eccentric". Just passing on what I heard. I'm a big Basso fan.

I agree with that 100%. There's no doubt he's come on leaps and bounds in his time with us but you're quite right when you say 'on another day that mistake will cost us', because it will.

I appreciate that he is a 'cult hero' with the majority of the fans but he is error prone IMO and I'd be interested to hear the opinions of those of you praising him now when the next clanger arrives and costs us points.

RAIN CHECK - We are in the championship me old mucker! When we're in the prem we may attract quality keepers like James and Robinson who don't make mistakes!

But doesn't that apply to any 'keeper?

I appreciate that he is a 'cult hero' with the majority of the fans but he is error prone IMO

and I'd be interested to hear the opinions of those of you praising him now when the next clanger arrives and costs us points.

When did an error by Basso last cost us points?

Watch The Championship, or Goals on Sunday, and count how many other keepers spill shots or make mistakes that cost goals.

Most do it far more often than Basso.

Show me a keeper who is not prone to the odd clanger or two......

......and ill show you a keeper who is worth about £20m and probally playing for the best team in the world!!

David Seaman, probally the best England keeper in modern times made his fair share of howlers! It happens! Unfortunately, a keeper makes a mistake, 9 times out of 10 it could lead to a goal! A striker could miss a hatful of chances and score one....and still be a hero!!

David James, Paul Robinson, Peter Schmichael....all made errors throughout their careers! It happens!

Basso has turned from a bit of a joke when he first come here, to being a really, really good keeper. Anyone who was at the game on Saturday could see how safe his hands were, how brave a keeper he was.........he's getting better and better

One final note, I'm glad he comes for crosses.......Id rather see a keeper come for a cross, and attempt to clear the ball...then a keeper who doesnt (Mr Phillips)

what are you expecting from a former third tier keeper, now a 2nd tier keeper??

I doubt there are any keepers in this league that will not make 1 mistake each game. Southampton keeper yesterday was all over the place and he plays for a supposedly better team.

Bottom line is basso kept a clean sheet and your living in a dream world if you think that at this level we are going to have a keeper that never makes mistakes unless we stick a robot in goal.

Why don't we focus on the positives like the save he made when the ball was looping up and going to go in, under pressure from 2 attackers basso managed to claw it off the line and away to safety. For every mistake that could cost a goal he makes 2 or 3 saves that prevents a goal.

Personally think basso performs as good all round as most keepers in this division,maybe better than a few at a higher level as well.

p.s did anybody see casper in goal for man city yesterday?? was all over the place coming for crosses and missing, running out of his goal trying to win the ball in areas he shouldnt. Now doesnt he play for a premiership club??

Watch The Championship, or Goals on Sunday, and count how many other keepers spill shots or make mistakes that cost goals.

Most do it far more often than Basso.

Aye, you're quite right there Tucks there were a lot of errors this weekend including one that Basso fortunately got away with when Orr cleared off the line.

I'm not slating the guy, in fact I think on his day, when everything clicks for him he can be awesome (ala Sheff Weds), which is probably why Wenger wanted a look when he first came over. I'm just agreeing with another poster's comments at the end of the day...

Show me a keeper who is not prone to the odd clanger or two......

......and ill show you a keeper who is worth about £20m and probally playing for the best team in the world!!

David Seaman, probally the best England keeper in modern times made his fair share of howlers! It happens! Unfortunately, a keeper makes a mistake, 9 times out of 10 it could lead to a goal! A striker could miss a hatful of chances and score one....and still be a hero!!

David James, Paul Robinson, Peter Schmichael....all made errors throughout their careers! It happens!

Basso has turned from a bit of a joke when he first come here, to being a really, really good keeper. Anyone who was at the game on Saturday could see how safe his hands were, how brave a keeper he was.........he's getting better and better

One final note, I'm glad he comes for crosses.......Id rather see a keeper come for a cross, and attempt to clear the ball...then a keeper who doesnt (Mr Phillips)

I agree with all of that and, given what I said in response to 'Seend Reds' initial post, I admit that he has improved beyond recognition to the player we first saw.

So a keeper is not allowed even one slight error .. We will never find a keeper for England ever again. He is Prem standard,get used to it.

Fact is, if he was of Premiership standard, he'd have been playing there by now so that is a ridiclous comment in all honesty.

Keeper's do make errors, and more times than not they get punished. I just think that Basso makes a lot of errors that go unpunished, which is ultimately why he isn't playing in the Premiership now but then again I forgot that some people on this forum won't tolerate anyone willing to express an opinion away from the norm! :sleeping:

Aye, you're quite right there Tucks there were a lot of errors this weekend including one that Basso fortunately got away with when Orr cleared off the line.

I'm not slating the guy, in fact I think on his day, when everything clicks for him he can be awesome, which is probably why Wenger wanted a look when he first came over. I'm just agreeing with another poster's comments at the end of the day...

I agree with all of that and, given what I said in response to 'Seend Reds' post, I admit that he has improved beyond recognition to the player we first saw.

Fact is, if he was Premiership standard, he'd have been playing there by now so that is a ridiclous comment in all honesty. Keeper's do make errors, and more times than not they get punished. I just think that Basso makes a lot of errors that go unpunished, which is ultimately why Arsenal didn't sign him but then again I forgot this forum has become more about dictators than those willing to express an opinion away from the norm! :sleeping:

Arsenal didn't sign him because he made too many mistakes? And there I was thinking all the time it was because they weren't sure about his passport status! Thanks for putting me straight.

Was listening to Five Live on Saturday afternoon (couldn't get World, surprise, surprise). They occasionally went over to the Ricoh for updates and at one point the commentator advised Coventry to pepper Basso with shots as he looked a bit dodgy. Then someone said that he used to be his manager and that he could best be described as "eccentric". Just passing on what I heard. I'm a big Basso fan.

Listening to Dowie and countless others I thought Coventry did pepper us with shots (I must have missed a lot of them). Didn't they have something like 158% possession? And Basso still kept a clean sheet!! Amazing.

Two clean sheats in two games (the ONLY stat that matters) and people are going on about "what if's".

Do you not think scouts are watching him? Ask GJ who he thinks in our squad could play in the Prem. Basso makes very few errors, which is why they go unpunished. Your view is based on his performance when he started playing, in a team with no confidence, no organisation and no direction.

In all honesty, no, I don't think many big team scouts are watching him but then again I don't claim to be in the know about such things. My reason for making that assumption however is his age. He's 32 now and will be 33 before the season is out. If he was was five or so years younger I reckon a lot of clubs would've sat up and taken notice at his progress. I would also hazard a guess that his age is the factor in GJ only tying him to a contract til the end of this season.

Instead of thinking he makes loads of errors, do what the coaching staff do, study them , analyse them and count them. You will then find your unfounded comments are absurd. Have a good look at 90 minutes of action involving Green or Robinson, and I mean a good look. I would choose Basso every time. If he plays the first half of the season to his current form, he will be off to the Prem before the rest of the club or team.

I agree with you on the coaching staff comment. They are due a lot of praise for his progress but I find the Green/Robinson comment to be equally absurd, as you put it. Yeah, Basso's unrecognisable to the keeper who was on the scrapheap 18 months ago but to imitate that he's better than those two is lunacy IMO.

The reason why I do not tolerate your opinion, is because you do not tolerate others opinions. You say my comment is ridiculous, well I do not think so. It is founded on a very strong basis, which thankfully people far more qualified than me also happen to agree with.

I think you'll find you're wrong on that front. As well as agreeing with your opinion on the above point, my initial reply was in agreement to another poster's comments which seem to somewhat flaw your point and, for the record, I'm in huge favour of listening to other opinions as I believe it adds to a healthy debate. It's people like you who take the aggressive tone with anyone who slightly disagree's with the general consensus that causes problem's to arise. But then again, what do I know?! :dunno:

End of

End of

I've got to say I'm astounded that forum user Eddie, the chief scourge of Basso, hasn't reared his head with another Basso thread. There again Eddie can't slag the man off when he keeps getting rave reviews, wins us points and keeps clean sheets.

Basso is a major factor in City being where they are today. He's human and he WILL make mistakes. However he is a quality player and maybe has that extra special ingredient "divine support"?!

I've got to say I'm astounded that forum user Eddie, the chief scourge of Basso, hasn't reared his head with another Basso thread. There again Eddie can't slag the man off when he keeps getting rave reviews, wins us points and keeps clean sheets.

Basso is a major factor in City being where they are today. He's human and he WILL make mistakes. However he is a quality player and maybe has that extra special ingredient "divine support"?!

I'm sure "Eddie" is too consumed by posts on the pikey forum about him after his dismal performance and letting in three goals on Friday night.

On the Radio Bristol commentry basso was apparenty dropping the ball every shot WBA had, I'm not joking the commentator must have said this about 12 times!

A couple of times he blocked the ball from hard shots along the ground but he dived back on top of the ball straight away even if a WBA players foot was coming in.

Archived